Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

What exotics have you sat in?

Options
2»

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,777 ✭✭✭shanew

I think the Pitts was Fuel Injected as we were inverted at
    one stage (very wierd feeling!!!) and it ran fine - I assume
    a carb. fuelled engine would splutter.

I looked to me (I forgot to ask) that the pylon thingies
    at the end of the wing were reference markers - they
    seemed to assist the pilot in lining up for good angles for
    vertical climbs and correct attitude up after hesitation
    rolls etc by lining up sections of the markers on the
    horizon etc

I could sort of see from the front seat what they could do...

Shane.

Davidth88 wrote:
    There were three in the team if I remember. I also seem to recall that girls in catsuits used to wander around giving out free fags during the show .... would never be allowed nowadays .

I don't remember Arther Wignall however.

Didn't the Pitts have a fuel system that worked inverted as well or something ( as I suppose all fully aerobatic aircraft do )

Can anyone answer what the pylon things stuck on the end of some aerobatic aircraft wings are for ? Are they to allow you to keep some sort of perspective , if so how do they work?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,074 ✭✭✭BendiBus

Ilyushin 62
    Rallye100 :D

Has this forum always existed? Never noticed it before!

• Registered Users Posts: 3,181 ✭✭✭Davidth88

Bendibus

IL62 .... brave man . I have always sworn that I would never ever ever fly on a USSR/Russian built aircraft , esp the TU154 that seems to fall out the sky a bit too often for my liking.

What was it Aeroflot ?

armchairninja.

F16 wouldn't have been French , ever since they threw a hissy fit back in the 60s and jumped out of NATO they haven't shared equipment... must have been Belgique/Dutch/Danish I guess....
    Nice list though !

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,074 ✭✭✭BendiBus

Davidth88 wrote:
    Bendibus

IL62 .... brave man . I have always sworn that I would never ever ever fly on a USSR/Russian built aircraft , esp the TU154 that seems to fall out the sky a bit too often for my liking.

What was it Aeroflot ?

Yes, SNN-Leningrad (yes Leningrad, not St Petersburg!) and Moscow-SNN.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,181 ✭✭✭Davidth88

Leningrad eh !

Arhhh the old days when Aeroflot used to carry a translator in the cockpit.

Was that the flight that went on to Cuba , in those days Aeroflot were the only people that went there wern't they ?

Was the service as bad as everyone made out ?

I remember LHR ground staff were on strike one time , the guys who tow the aircraft basicly weren't doing it ( back in the days when the UK still had unions ) .

Anyway Aeroflot was having none of it , the IL62 on stand shoved its engines into reverse and pulled them selves out . And smashed every window in T2 at the same time !

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 323 ✭✭armchairninja

Davidth88 wrote:
    armchairninja.

F16 wouldn't have been French , ever since they threw a hissy fit back in the 60s and jumped out of NATO they haven't shared equipment... must have been Belgique/Dutch/Danish I guess....
    Nice list though !

Cheers, knew it was from somewhere around that general area, cant fully remember because i was only ten at the time, think theres a load more aircraft for that list too, but again cant remember, there just the ones that stand out in memory

Advertisement