Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Upgrading HDD from 160 to 500gb?

Options
  • 28-03-2007 4:04pm
    Registered Users Posts: 603 ✭✭✭

Howdy.

I've nearly run out of space on my 160gb HDD on my modchipped xbox and was thinking of replacing it with a 500gb one. First of all are there any known problems with using a hdd that size? I was going to do it this way.
    FTP everything I want to keep on my current hdd onto my pc. Replace the hdd with the 500bg one in the xbox, format the hdd using AID 3.0, transfer everything back onto the new hdd.

Would that work ok, or are there further steps? Any further steps I have to do since it's a hdd larger than 250gb?

Thanks a million

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,497 ✭✭✭Nick_oliveri

Well, im not a master at such things, but if it works, fair feckin play to ya! I've a 250GB HDD in mine and it ran out of space long long ago!

But i got my box premodded....guess that kind of makes me an utter noob in these matters. I hope it works out for you.

This chart says you can go to 320GB!

EDIT: probably not a good idea to try this without asking someone with a lot of experience. Xbox-scene forums seem hard to navigate but im sure you will find something there.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,255 ✭✭✭ongarite

Yes you are going to run into problems with any HD over 250GB IF you don't format the drive with XBPartioner to a bigger cluster size. I can't remember the correct cluster size to use off the top of my head, 32K sounds familiar.
    Stuff will randomly disappear off the larger HD if you don't do this.

• Registered Users Posts: 603 ✭✭✭Goolay

Thanks for that guys, I wasn't aware of those issues, I'll have a look into XBPartioner before buying the new hdd

Okeydokey, I've done my research and I'm ready to upgrade.
    Just one quick n00b question
    I can't remember which type of HDD I'm meant to get, "3.5 IDE" or "3.5 Serial ATA"?
    Gonna get a Hitachi Deskstar from Komplett.ie as that's the model of my 160gb one and it's never given me any problems.
    cheers

• Registered Users Posts: 850 ✭✭✭mayto

3.5" IDE drive you need. i have a 400gb hdd in my softmodded xbox . i got if from this german site http://www3.hardwareversand.de/8Viy81uJz1sQyK/2/articledetail.jsp?aid=7462&agid=21
    . a lot cheaper than komplett and 20 euro delivery for as much as you want. only snag is you must pay by bank transfer , but worth it for the savings.

• Advertisement

Woo! all done. Replaced HDD (Seagate 500GB), formatted as normal, booted with AID 4.0, used xbpartioner to format big F: with 32k clusters. All is well.

Thanks for your help guys. Decided to finally start using XBMC as dash now aswell.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,469 ✭✭✭weeder

i ordered a 320Gb drive, what cluster size should i use? and should i format E any bigger than what i need for saves and chuck it all in F for movies and such?

Hiya, I believe you need to format F: with 32k clusters for drives bigger than 250gb to avoid possible corrption. Regarding E:, I think that needs to stay the same but I'd check with someone more experienced if I were you :)

• Registered Users Posts: 8,255 ✭✭✭ongarite

C:\ and E:\ are a set size and so are X,Y and Z. You can have the F:\ and G:\ partition any size you want but will have change the cluster size to 32K when using a HDD over 250GB.
    So you could make a new HDD with XBOXHDM if you have a softmod and then when its in your XBOX, use xbpartitioner to format the F:/ drive as one large partition with 32K cluster.

but doesnt either F or G randomly delete stuff anyway, i cant remember which though

• Advertisement

doesnt either F or g randomly delete ****? cannot remember which of the 2 though

Advertisement