Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

wheels and tyre service

Options
  • 28-03-2007 4:10pm
    Registered Users Posts: 28,789 ✭✭✭✭

I want to get alloys and tyres for me C4, I was over in Birmingham and saw some nice alloys that came with tyres and where fully fitted for around £500 sterling in Halfords and I was wondering is there an equivelent of them over here in Ireland or any other company that would give me a good deal on the same?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 65,382 ✭✭✭✭unkel
    Chauffe, Marcel, chauffe!

Halfords have been based here in Ireland too for a few years now. Here are a few numbers if you are in the Dublin area

I presume that if they sell it in the UK, you should be able to get it here too

• Registered Users Posts: 28,789 ✭✭✭✭ScumLord

Nice one they have a big store in Sligo, might pop up there at the weekend cheers!

• Moderators, Politics Moderators Posts: 39,715 Mod ✭✭✭✭Seth Brundle

If you are buying non-OEM wheels then check that they are suitable for your car (and I don't mean ask the salesperson in Halfords)

• Registered Users Posts: 28,789 ✭✭✭✭ScumLord

How would I do that? I would assume if they can fit it to the car the wheel would have no problem.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,570 ✭✭✭rebel.ranter

Just rememebr the wheels that come with your car & from the dealer are OEM wheels designed specifically for your car. Therefore you should experience no issues using an OEM wheel.
    Make sure that the offset & PCD (pitch circle diameter) are the same as the original wheels, this ensures that the wheels will be sticking under the arches by the same amount as the originals & also can be mounted properly. Ensure that the wheels fit snugly over the hub, usually after market wheel scome with a little slip ring that can slot into the back of the wheel to ensure a good fitment here. Failure to do so can lead to wheel balancing issues, i.e. a vibrating steering wheel.
    Also if you are going to change the size of the wheel say from a 15' to a 16' then you want to be sure that the over all diameter of the total wheel and tyre is kept the same. It it is too small the speedo wil read too high & you'll effectively bre clocking up more miles on the odometer than you are doing in reality. If it's too big then the speedo will be reading slow so you are leaving yourself open by potentially unknowingly driving over the speed limit.
    Also by going up a size in wheel you are reducing the size of the tyre sidewall which could increase road noise & how hard the car rides.
    Google all the terms mentioned above and you'll find explanations of what they mean.

PDC, Offset, balancing, rolling diameter, tyre profile

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Politics Moderators Posts: 39,715 Mod ✭✭✭✭Seth Brundle

Just to add to rebel.ranter's post - spurious alloys tend to be heavier and not as strong as genuine ones.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,523 ✭✭✭TJJP

ScumLord wrote:
    I want to get alloys and tyres for me C4, I was over in Birmingham and saw some nice alloys that came with tyres and where fully fitted for around £500 sterling in Halfords and I was wondering is there an equivelent of them over here in Ireland or any other company that would give me a good deal on the same?

Would also suggest that you are wary of the Halfrauds deal. Usually shiny wheels but poor rubber. Lots of low profile nangkang stuff. Not great if you are ever required to stop in a hurry. Stopping distance can be significantly increased with poor tyres. Deal might not be as good as it looks.

Advertisement