Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

Jaguar S Type

Options
  • 28-03-2007 4:27pm
    Registered Users Posts: 3,317 ✭✭✭

Anyone ever had one ??
    If so what did you think of it ??

Thinking about getting one (5/6 years old)
    Very tempted

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 774 ✭✭✭PoleStar

Am in the market for a car of similar class at the moment.

However drove a few and have to say that the interior quality is not as good as the equivalent 5-series or E-class. Quality of switchgear and materials just does not seem as solid. Having said that, exterior stands out and there aren't many on the road.

• Registered Users Posts: 73,454 ✭✭✭✭colm_mcm

the only one worth considering is the 3.0 auto with leatther. preferably in a light colour. they've gone quite cheap now. The Ford keys and switchgear ruin the illusion though.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,949 ✭✭✭SouperComputer

Looks like a Jag on the outside but drives and feels like a ford as said above, the interior is not as lavish as one would expect.

The 3.0 is a good engine, it does lack low-end grunt though. See if you can test drive a couple and see what you think. I drive an S type for work on a regaular basis and I own a Ford Taurus which has the same engine. TBH is ride is a bit harsh in the Jag IMO given the handling.

Personally, id go with a lexus or BMW 5 series.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,317 ✭✭✭Dublin Spur

Thanks for the info fellas

• Registered Users Posts: 896 ✭✭✭nialler

TBH you'd pick up an S class merc about 6 years old from around 18k upwards in or around the same price as the S type Jag, and the spec would be far superior. If you can manage it get the 500/600, the 320 petrol is a great engine but the 500/600 have that something special (including the ability to guzzle fuel) and make sure it has all the gadgets.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 622 ✭✭✭jimogr

Not many 6 year old S class mercs around for 18k

• Registered Users Posts: 65,382 ✭✭✭✭unkel
    Chauffe, Marcel, chauffe!

I like the S-Type. I feel the interior is stylish and classy. Are people a bit harsh here? It drives very well too compared to most in the class at the time except perhaps the 5-series. It's aged well too

A colleaque has one from new (8 years now) and has had some quite expensive trouble with it over the years, but nothing really major. Can't remember what, one thing was the autobox I think and perhaps some electrical trouble. Well over 100k miles now

You can get a decent one now for €10k which seems good value. I do however agree with nialler. A car a class up in every which way is better value for money imho :)

• Registered Users Posts: 73,454 ✭✭✭✭colm_mcm

00 S Types are available for under 15k if you look hard enough.

Advertisement