Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

Windscreen washers on the M50

Options
  • 28-03-2007 4:33pm
    Registered Users Posts: 3,470 ✭✭✭

I turned off the M50 yesterday onto the N4 yesterday and was stuck at the traffic lights before the roundabout. I saw a guy there on the side of the road spray the windscreen on the car in front of me and then squeegee it, then ask for a tip. He looked like a Romanian or Bulgarian, dark hair and unshaven.

I've seen this kind of thing in London years ago and most recently when on holiday in Latin Amercia, but never in Ireland. Anybody else see this kind of thing going on. The way I see it, if the Guards don't stop this early on they'll be on every corner/traffic light soon. It scared the jaysus out of my wife, it can be intimidating for a woman driving alone as they don't leave until they get something.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 15,258 ✭✭✭✭Rabies

I have seen it done at the Red Cow before. If asked for, fine tip. If not, then not chance that I would pay them.

• Registered Users Posts: 22,815 ✭✭✭✭Anan1

If you see them coming and you don't want your windscreen cleaned then just turn on your wipers.

• Registered Users Posts: 65,382 ✭✭✭✭unkel
    Chauffe, Marcel, chauffe!

That was quite common in Dublin City Centre for a period, maybe about 6-8 years ago iirc. They were quite aggressive too

A dangerous form of begging imho as it diverts the attention of the driver

• Registered Users Posts: 3,470 ✭✭✭DonJose

I just waved the fella away but the first car he washed he came from behind, I'm sure he gave the poor woman a fright.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,210 ✭✭✭✭JohnCleary

Coming off the M50 west of the toll last week, guy came up with a load of gold teeth. Hold him NO, he tried to clean the window so I rolled down the window and said NO

He kept saying 'please please please, you have money'. He started glancing at the boat I was towing and again begging for money.

I told him to go to the dentist and get his teeth pulled and drove off. Dangerous imho, I was towing a LOT of weight at a busy location and I had this pleb nearly jumping on my bonnet and knocking on my window

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,470 ✭✭✭DonJose

Was this going southbound after the tolls? The guy I saw yesterday was wearing a tan sheepskin jacket. Its very distracting.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,208 ✭✭✭The Doktor

I wouldnt let these guys near my windscreen. I would be on the south bound exit of the m50 at the red cow a good bit. The squeege I seen em using was lying on the ground, sponge bit down. Stones and grit would be picked up and could scrape your windscreen.
    Also I seen them just throw the bottles/squeege over the armco and walk off. If you are stopped at the lights you can see a load of 2 litre bottles and squeeges all over the place.

• Registered Users Posts: 20,985 ✭✭✭✭Stark

That happened to me before at the Mad Cow roundabout. He asked me for money and I told him to "**** off, I didn't ask you to clean it", then drove off when the traffic lights went green.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 88,978 ✭✭✭✭mike65

Fupping beggers! Thats all they are frankly and as said dangerous ones, plus if someone submits at the wrong time just before the lights go green it just gets everyones backs up.

The cops should start arresting these guys for being a hazzard on the road.

Mike.

• Registered Users Posts: 782 ✭✭✭gibo_ie

was at the junction at heuston station last week when some guys were trying this (typical city drug addicts by the looks) but unfortunately didnt spot the unmarked squad car in front of me and almost pi$$ed himself when the cop told them both to stay there as they "wanted a quick word". Needless to say they both ran very fast with one guard in tow...
    I think the gardai are stomping this out as it could be much worse, ive seen it in other countries.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 20,985 ✭✭✭✭Stark

I'm reminded of that bit in the Simpsons where they drive to "Capital City" and Homer remarks "Wow, now that's service" before driving off and leaving the beggar empty handed :)

• Registered Users Posts: 18,484 ✭✭✭✭Stephen

I hate these fcukers. They got me at the red cow too. They just make the window mankier with their dirty rags.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,379 ✭✭✭DublinDilbert

Yea the guys on the red cow off ramp are very cheeky and just start washing peoples windows who clearly told them no! they don't seem to have the word "No" in their vocabulary. I think people who give them money are just making the problem worse.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 828 ✭✭✭SoBe

grrrrr they drive me nuts.last time one tried to wash my screen i hit the washers for my lights when he was leaned over my bonnet.spray goes everywhere.

he got the hint :D

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 586 ✭✭✭Bradidup

As someone mentioned before it’s a very intimidating and aggressive form of begging. I have seen them being moved on by cops but its like water off a ducks back and they return at it in no time. Best thing to do is report them anyway as a danger to traffic, they can only get so many warnings

Advertisement