Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

home recording stuff

Options
  • 28-03-2007 5:00pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 287 ✭✭

so i record at home through a usb desk and i recently updated to windows vista and now the sounds for the bass (which im putting into the desk through an xlr out from my bass amp) wont come out of the speakers on the computer and the bass needs to be heard amplified in some way, wouldnt anyone know any remedys to make sounds come out of the speakers, i know this is more a computer problem than a recording problem but i figured it was best to put it here, admins feel free to move this if needs be :) and any and all help would be appriciated, thanks in advance guys

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 6,790 ✭✭✭cornbb

First thing to do is to check with the manufacturers of your various equipment (usb mixer, soundcard, recording software or whatever) to make sure they have released drivers for Vista and then install these drivers if necessary. What recording/sequencing software are you using?

• Registered Users Posts: 4,093 ✭✭✭TelePaul

I have heard some problems with Vista but this doesn't sound like one to be honest, particularly if you can hear the other instruments.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 287 ✭✭joenailface

its working fine, it wont come out even when i plug directly into the computer from a mic and it records both perfectly, it just wont come out of the speakers when its being played

its working fine, it wont come out even when i plug directly into the computer from a mic and it records both perfectly, it just wont come out of the speakers when its being played

Your dedicated monitors or your PC monitors?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 975 ✭✭✭squibs

I'm not sure I understand. A few Qs to clarify.

So the signal is getting from the desk to the PC, and being recorded - but you can't hear it?

You can see the bass waveform from the recording when you stop recording?

Is the problem apparent just when you are recording or when you are playing back what you have recorded too?

Have you looked in your windows audio mixer applet to see that everything is ok?

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 287 ✭✭joenailface

squibs wrote:
    I'm not sure I understand. A few Qs to clarify.

So the signal is getting from the desk to the PC, and being recorded - but you can't hear it?

You can see the bass waveform from the recording when you stop recording?

Is the problem apparent just when you are recording or when you are playing back what you have recorded too?

Have you looked in your windows audio mixer applet to see that everything is ok?

yes its getting from the desk to the pc and being recorded and i can play it back after im finished recording but i cant hear what im playing while i am recording, yes i can see the waveform after its recorded, the problem is there all the time no sounds come out of the speakers from the desk or a direct line into the computer, the problem is getting any sort of input to come out of the speakers, everything up until the speakers is fine :) also yes the windows volume mixer is all set up perfectly i assume they put in a function to stop feedback and just decided that people dont use mics on pcs for anything other than skype...

and telepaul i want it to come out of my pc speakers ;) no moniters as of yet

It sounds like a driver problem to me.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,790 ✭✭✭cornbb

What software are you using to record?

I'm a bit confused :o

• Closed Accounts Posts: 975 ✭✭✭squibs

If it worked grand in XP (I'm assuming thas what you ran pre-upgrade) and doesn't work in Vista, the it is almost certainly a driver issue. Most pro audio manufacturers havent put out vista drivers yet, and many won't put out drivers, especially for ageing hardware.

The more I hear, the more I would advise to stick with XP. Vista looks pretty but eats the resources you could be using to run more plugins!

squibs wrote:
    If it worked grand in XP (I'm assuming thas what you ran pre-upgrade) and doesn't work in Vista, the it is almost certainly a driver issue. Most pro audio manufacturers havent put out vista drivers yet, and many won't put out drivers, especially for ageing hardware.

The more I hear, the more I would advise to stick with XP. Vista looks pretty but eats the resources you could be using to run more plugins!

Hurrah Plug Ins!

• Advertisement
Advertisement