Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Epos systems

Options
  • 28-03-2007 6:18pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 6

Hi there,

sorry about this but am completely clueless...

Am considering taking over the running of a shop and am looking at costs etc. At the moment there is a very basic till and I would like to have an epos / barcode system in place.

My questions are:
    1. Can I just buy the till and software and put it all together myself? Have seen tills with the scanner etc for sale on eBay quite cheaply, but is there a lot more to it than that? What else would I need to do it myself? What kind of price is the software and where can I buy it?

2. Does anyone with experience of these systems have recommendations for companies to get prices from or recommendations for certain systems?

3. What ballpark figure should I allow to buy a basic system - it's a small convenience store, only needs one till with scanner facility etc.

Any help anyone can offer is greatly appreciated!

Thanks a lot,

Oddwire.

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1 hotelieur

Epos system are ranged between 2k to 4k euro per system. Though you think you can gather & found it cheaper from ebay but it only works for someone who really knows how to use an epos programme. Using epos has true advantage: 1. It automatically gives an image to your business, somehow.. a bad service always tarnished that. 2. You get to get your inventory in working order and compute intergratedly to your back office giving you a complete stock control system, also depending on the type of epos software you are using. 3. Its really an expensive investment. I would suggest that you use a basic Cash Register with scanning facility. Once your business picks up you can always tradein and upgrade your till to epos system anytime.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,386 ✭✭✭EKRIUQ

Here's a new system that I've just switched to and its fully integrated with scanners and cash drawers and can build it around your business

Its main sight is http://wws5.com/ and packs alot of information and features. Cost for a single user package is $995 then extra for training which would be advisable just to get the right setup.

Say $1,500 for a great software system that covers everthing and can even be integrated to a e-commerence website

Then the cost of your tills, or a touch screen can be used, money drawers and scanners. I don't know how much they cost as I input the sale details with via the keyboard.

If you've any other questions just ask

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,245 ✭✭✭drdre

BingoBongo wrote:
    Here's a new system that I've just switched to and its fully integrated with scanners and cash drawers and can build it around your business

Its main sight is http://wws5.com/ and packs alot of information and features. Cost for a single user package is $995 then extra for training which would be advisable just to get the right setup.

Say $1,500 for a great software system that covers everthing and can even be integrated to a e-commerence website

Then the cost of your tills, or a touch screen can be used, money drawers and scanners. I don't know how much they cost as I input the sale details with via the keyboard.

If you've any other questions just ask

Wow is it 1500 just for the software and not for equipment?
    If thats the case then you got ripped off big time.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,389 ✭✭✭✭Saruman

If you want to do it on the cheap then once you get the software its just a PC with attachments :D
    Some of our customers just use PC's :D Tills look better but are more expensive.
    We do take5 based epos systems but take5 is on the way out so not sure what the next one is.. something by sage i would imagine.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,879 ✭✭✭heggie

this can be expensive, what you're paying for is the support more so than the actual software. a company I once worked with payed tens of thousands for software/support.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 7,681 Mod ✭✭✭✭delly

$1,500 is not a large amount of money for fully functional ePOS backoffice software. But this wouldn't be a case of software only, you'd hopefully be getting some training as well.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,386 ✭✭✭EKRIUQ

drdre wrote:
    Wow is it 1500 just for the software and not for equipment?
    If thats the case then you got ripped off big time.

Its $995 (€745 )for the software and if you can find a cheaper program custom designed for less let me know. You seem to know everything about these things:rolleyes: :rolleyes:

BingoBongo wrote:
    Its $995 (€745 )for the software and if you can find a cheaper program custom designed for less let me know. You seem to know everything about these things:rolleyes: :rolleyes:

I dont know everything but ive just imported paper till rolls to suit these machines, so i know abit about them.
    You can get alot of cheaper sotwares out there.THere are some free ones but it depends on what you need it for so it might not meetyour exact spec.Its like a car it can range from 5,000-1 million for a car but its different specs and different usage. Its the same for a epos system. :)
    Do you have a restaurant or what do you use the epos for?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6 oddwire

thanks for all the advice...

Have gotton a really good price to lease a full system, think I'll go with that although meeting another company next week so will see what they can come up with first.

Again, thanks to all for the input!

oddwire wrote:
    thanks for all the advice...

Have gotton a really good price to lease a full system, think I'll go with that although meeting another company next week so will see what they can come up with first.

Again, thanks to all for the input!

Could you please do me a favour and send me a pm with the names of companies you dealt with as im looking at making a database so i can try supply till rolls to these guys.
    I would appricate if you could do that
    Thanks in advance

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 5 macfhi

Have you tried Efaveo in Limerick. info@efaveo.com They do web based EPOS & inventory systems which are very reasonably priced. For Web based systems you pay for the software per month and dont need to sign long term leases. They also are very easy to integrate with an online shop as they share a database. But I guess you wouldn't need an online shop. Good luck with your new shop

Advertisement