Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Upgrading processor

Options
  • 28-03-2007 6:50pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 99 ✭✭

Hi. ive done a few upgrades to my computer. ive put 1gb of memory, new 2.0 usb ports new hard drive and a few other things.

I’m wondering if i can buy a p4 processor chip and just replace it with the one in the computer at the moment or do i have to change other things. At the moment there’s a Pentium 4 1.7GHz processor in it

Also the computer is a dell optiplex gx 240.

Is there a limit to the processor the mother board can take?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,568 ✭✭✭ethernet

You'll want a processor with the same socket as the processor you currently have. I have a P4, socket 775. An AMD won't work on your machine -- different socket.

Details about what socket your processor had should be in a manual that came with your Dell. If you can't find it, you can search for the motherboard's details online.

* Details on changing the processor in your machine
    * Documentation for the GX240

Advertisement