Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Man Running for Women's Officer

124»

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,437 ✭✭✭tintinr35

just as a matter of interest, Pretty*Monster, u ran for election there a couple of years ago, i think!!
    did u experiance any sort of negative situation during your campagin etc that u felt was because of gender????

• Registered Users Posts: 118 ✭✭Steibhin

tintinr35 wrote:
    in a Uni with c20,000 students when only one person even runs for president etc i think it shows how indifferent the majority of the student body feel about the SU and what they claim to do.

Only one person ran for President of Ireland last time out. So that in itself does not nessisarliy show apathy. Voter turnout might be a better indication.

At the end of the day the SU are insignificant to the day to day lives of many students, but there is nothing really wrong with that. The SU only are involved in your life when you have a problem. The less problems (or the lesser the gravity of those problems) the less significant the SU will appear. So I guess it can be viewed as positive that the SU has less of a role in our day to day lives.

On the topic of the thread, good luck to any one offering themselves for election. Its a pretty brave thing to put yourself out there like that, often for little reward.

• Registered Users Posts: 644 ✭✭✭FionnMatthew

Red Alert wrote:
    Minority Support Officer?

The big problem with the women's officer is that it is saying that I a as a male student should support this position even though by its very definition it does not support me. In fact, some of the more militant proponents of the women's officer like pretty*monster, wish the office to address wider perceived injustices in society. Not worth a sabbat office IMHO.

Militant? Ha. Are you out of your tree? pretty*monster has been the most level, rational contributor to this thread so far. Everyone else has just been stating forced (and by the sounds of it, received) opinions, without any certain knowledge of the issue. But she disagrees with you. And that makes her militant?

To address your "the WO does nothing for me" point, please read my last post, which diagnosed and addressed the same problem in Elmyra's 'democratic' outlook.

And please, everyone, for the rest of time, stop saying "in my humble opinion". There's nothing humble about an expressed opinion, least of all one like this.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,755 ✭✭✭elmyra

To address your "the WO does nothing for me" point, please read my last post, which diagnosed and addressed the same problem in Elmyra's 'democratic' outlook.

Diagnosed? Don't insult me. I am perfectly entitled to believe that there is no merit to this position. I know that there are lots of things that are for the good of society that don't benefit me that I am perfectly willing to support and vote for. This is not one of them, and you have failed to alter my opinion, so don't insult me by suggesting that you are in a position to 'diagnose' me.

• Registered Users Posts: 644 ✭✭✭FionnMatthew

elmyra wrote:
    Diagnosed? Don't insult me. I am perfectly entitled to believe that there is no merit to this position. I know that there are lots of things that are for the good of society that don't benefit me that I am perfectly willing to support and vote for. This is not one of them, and you have failed to alter my opinion, so don't insult me by suggesting that you are in a position to 'diagnose' me.
    You'll note that the definition of 'diagnosis' doesn't rest on whether or not the subject accepts it. That is largely irrelevant.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 2,923 ✭✭✭Nothingcompares

Panda100 wrote:
    I think the fact that in the last 10years there has been only 7 female sabbatical officers and a staggering 35 male officers that there is a desperate need for more womens representaion within the union..

I think it goes to show that men vote for men and women vote for men. Why? Totally different question.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,885 ✭✭✭Stabshauptmann

I dont think it shows that at all. It shows both men and women happened to vote for men, but it doesnt say anything about them having a preference voting for a canditate simply because of their gender.

I havent done any research, but lets suppose 30 of the officers of the last 10yrs had blue eyes, does that show that ppl tend to have a preference for blue eyed candidates?

Again, not having much research [edit]And dont pay enough attention, thats why I got the figures totally wrong[/edit]

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,029 ✭✭✭John_C

But I may havev just misused statistics :)
    I don't think so, I think you've proven that the women's officer should be replaced by a blue eyes officer to tackle the real injustices in the system.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,121 ✭✭✭dajaffa

In the last election there were 9 candidates, 7 lads 3 women. 42% of men were elected and 67% of women.

Eh what elections are you referring to cause I can't remember the last time 2 girls were elected. I don't think there's huge discrepancies with the voting in recent times, but the amount of girls running is always low. Imo thats the issue, voting wise I don't think it makes a huge difference what gender you are.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,755 ✭✭✭elmyra

You'll note that the definition of 'diagnosis' doesn't rest on whether or not the subject accepts it. That is largely irrelevant.

My sticking point wasn't with regard to the definition of a diagnosis, merely with your seeming belief that you are in a position to diagnose someone. I don't need to accept a diagnosis from someone who isn't qualified to give one. Lucky I was able to stand up for myself on this one and didn't need some Women's officer to give me credibility, eh?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,437 ✭✭✭tintinr35

panda100 wrote:
    This means stepping beyond the womens officers job Desription in the SU constitution and for once really tackle the problems that face women in Irish Society today.
    and you hope to achive this by becoming women's officer.......riiiiite
    panda100 wrote:
    It is my aim that by the end of May 2008 to not abolish the position but change its function as written in the su constitution to make it more then just a position that flogs personal saftey alarns and holds a fundraising event.

One thing I decided along time ago is that Im not going to lie to the students of UCD in these elections. Im not going to pack my manifesto with unachievable goals and empty promises .

they could be your campagin catch phrases, if you want to run an honest campagin then u may as well start as you mean to go on because although your goals may be admirable, its pie in the sky!!

panda100 wrote:
    Along side these I hope to run a big event for womens day and throughout the year where inspirational women such as Mary Robinson,Derval O'Rouke,Miriam O'Callaghan and other positive role models speak to the women of UCD.

why dont you add saving the whales to the list aswell, i mean come on, be realistic, please.
    panda100 wrote:
    I think the fact that in the last 10years there has been only 7 female sabbatical officers and a staggering 35 male officers that there is a desperate need for more womens representaion within the union.

i love it, highlighting the fact that there have only been 7 women offices automatically means that women are being discriminated against, it couldnt have anything to do with people having more confidence in the other candidates that were running....no its women being discriminated against..its bull****.
    what about issues facing men in ireland today, depression and suicide rates among young men are staggeringly high in ireland, i think this issue is slightly more important than a campagin for real beauty (in association with dove) more women are entering third level now than men, womens health awarness is highlighted above that of men, why are these issues less important than those facing a woman, and why should men not be represented by a men's officer if women are so for gender equality....
    so many questions, so little time!!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,487 ✭✭✭boneless

tintinr35 wrote:

they could be your campagin catch phrases, if you want to run an honest campagin then u may as well start as you mean to go on because although your goals may be admirable, its pie in the sky!!

why dont you add saving the whales to the list aswell, i mean come on, be realistic, please.

i love it, highlighting the fact that there have only been 7 women offices automatically means that women are being discriminated against, it couldnt have anything to do with people having more confidence in the other candidates that were running....no its women being discriminated against..its bull****.
    what about issues facing men in ireland today, depression and suicide rates among young men are staggeringly high in ireland, i think this issue is slightly more important than a campagin for real beauty (in association with dove) more women are entering third level now than men, womens health awarness is highlighted above that of men, why are these issues less important than those facing a woman, and why should men not be represented by a men's officer if women are so for gender equality....
    so many questions, so little time!!

I have seen people banned for less.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,238 ✭✭✭humbert

I don't think he said anything unfair.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,551 ✭✭✭panda100

tintinr35 wrote:

Yes I do. I really believe the womens officer can make a difference to both male and female students in UCD if the position was used to the best of its ability.

tintinr35 wrote:

How so?I have achievable aims and goals for everything I have set out to do in my manifesto (which I will post If allowed by hullabaloo or sangre?). I havent packed my manifesto offering the sun,moon and stars. I have new,innovitative ideas to deal with the very serious issues such as menal heath,inequality,crisis pregancy,mental health etc

tintinr35 wrote:

Well Perhaps female whales :p I really beleive my manifesto is the most realistic manifesto I have ever seen in exec or sabbat elections. I drew on the experiences from final year meds who have had to endure 6 years of false promises. I wouldnt put anything in my manifesto that I dont think will make a powerful and posiitve difference to students lives and will benefit everyone on campus.

tintinr35 wrote:
    i love it, highlighting the fact that there have only been 7 women offices automatically means that women are being discriminated against, it couldnt have anything to do with people having more confidence in the other candidates that were running....no its women being discriminated against..its bull****. !!

Well there must be some reason why females dont win elections not just in UCD but all over the world. At least by having the womens officer position we can attempt to change this problem instead of doing nothing about it. I agree with you that lack of intrest in the union may lead to a lack of people running. The womens office as it stands at the moment does not make people intrested in the union but by trying out new ideas with someone from a course that has never held this potion before then we can reach out to new facultys.

tintinr35 wrote:
    what about issues facing men in ireland today, depression and suicide rates among young men are staggeringly high in ireland, i think this issue is slightly more important than a campagin for real beauty (in association with dove) more women are entering third level now than men, womens health awarness is highlighted above that of men, why are these issues less important than those facing a woman, and why should men not be represented by a men's officer if women are so for gender equality....!!

Once again in my manifesto you will see that I was the only representative from UCD at the Action on Suicde rally (the largest ever mental health forum ) a month ago. Here I helped draw up the 3t's mandate for ensuring goverment funding into mental health (see my sig!). I am the only class rep (along with gubbie) that has submitted a motion or addressed the suicide epidemic on this campus. Believe me I care about this issue hugely. I have said it before and I will say it again the 'please talk' campaign has been six months and 6 lives far too late by UCD. When campaigning on mental health I will ensure that i reach out to both male and females. I will do this by being the first executive officer to ever hold evening hours and so making it easier for people to talk and running year long really effective campaigns.

Also you my think the positive body image campaign is a waste of time but from the women and men I have spoken to it is not. You would be astonished at the amount of people who have suffered eating disorders on this campus. Also bodwhys comes under the umbrella group of mental health agencys such as teenline,spunout.ie aware etc ( all of which are not funded by the goverment and we are hoping to change). Depression is caused for many differnt reasons but one of them is having a poor body image and low self esteem in the way you look. I know its affected me and many of my friends in the past so It is one way of tackling the fact the 1 in every 3 of us students have depression.

humbert wrote:
    I don't think he said anything unfair.

I agree. Students have a right to question those running for elections and since we dont have election debates anymore :rolleyes: this is the best way to do it.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 888 ✭✭✭themole

panda100 wrote:
    Well there must be some reason why females dont win elections not just in UCD but all over the world. At least by having the womens officer position we can attempt to change this problem instead of doing nothing about it.
    Why is this a problem?

themole wrote:
    Why is this a problem?

Em, because if men are going for these positions and getting them more than women it's obviously discrimination, you sexist swine :p

• Closed Accounts Posts: 888 ✭✭✭themole

humbert wrote:
    Em, because if men are going for these positions and getting them more than women it's obviously discrimination, you sexist swine :p

You mean women can run for these positions! The world is falling down around us, the next thing you know we will let them be president or some such nonsense :D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,173 ✭✭✭✭Sangre

No manifestos, we don't want to set a precedent allowing candidates to swamp this forum. I don't particularly like how far you've gone already either but we didn't really have a policy on it until now.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,885 ✭✭✭Stabshauptmann

There are no men running for women's officer, the candidates are
    WOMEN’S OFFICER
    Aisling O'Connor
    Elisa O'Donovan
    Mary O'Flynn
    Re-Open Nominations

Candidates for all positions are up on newswire, most uncontested

• Advertisement

Sangre wrote:
    No manifestos, we don't want to set a precedent allowing candidates to swamp this forum. I don't particularly like how far you've gone already either but we didn't really have a policy on it until now.

I was wary of stepping over the line but was asked questions by tintin and so answered them. If people want to ask questions Id be more than happy to answer them by pm but tis not fair to swamp the forum with election stuff.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,454 ✭✭✭cast_iron

panda100 wrote:
    Yes I do. I really believe the womens officer can make a difference to both male and female students in UCD if the position was used to the best of its ability.
    Stated like that, one would think you are out to represent both men and women. To do the Women's Officer job correctly, you should have little regards for anything else but women's issues.
    panda100 wrote:
    I havent packed my manifesto offering the sun,moon and stars. I have new,innovitative ideas to deal with the very serious issues such as menal heath,inequality,crisis pregancy,mental health etc
    It will be interesting to see how you get on....will people be fooled by the "sun,moon and stars"?
    panda100 wrote:
    Well there must be some reason why females dont win elections not just in UCD but all over the world.
    The figures you've quoted (35 men vs 7 women or 5:1) mean absolutely nothing on their own. Assuming women were allowed to contest each election (as I don't doubt they were), then you would have to state how many women actually ran for election. I doubt there was an equal number, hence a 50/50 split was never statistically viable.
    I would guess the numbers are closer to 83/17 (5:1) than the 50/50 you appear to be claiming as fair.
    panda100 wrote:
    At least by having the womens officer position we can attempt to change this problem instead of doing nothing about it.
    That's like claiming we should have a Disability Officer because not many disabled people get into elected positions. Nonsense. That's not the role of the Disability Officer, nor should it be. The Disability Officer is there to look out for disability needs - not to make up numbers in a minority. Women's Officer should be no different.

Best of luck in your campaign.

• Administrators, Entertainment Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 18,750 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭hullaballoo

I can't help but notice that there are, in fact, no men running for women's officer.

Why am I surprised that there's a thread in this forum that was founded solely on hearsay and was probably just a publicity stunt.

Anyway, this thread's finished now, so if you want to keep your arguments going, either start a thread with a relevant (and not misleading) title, or take it to PM.

Cheers,
    hulla.

It might be more efficient to change the title to something along the lines of a debate on the need for a woman's officer?

• Administrators, Entertainment Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 18,750 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭hullaballoo

Sorry, meant to lock this.

Edit: nah, I don't really see the need to do that. Half the thread would be about one thing, and the other half would be about panda. It's too messy that way for any people unfamiliar with what happened here.

I'd prefer to see a new thread, or no thread at all (fingers crossed!)

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement