Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Garden pond + green water!!!!

Options
  • 28-03-2007 7:00pm
    Registered Users Posts: 37

Can anyone help? I have a new garden pond so there are no plants and no fish as of yet ..but.. the water in it has gone a horrible green colour. Does anybody have any suggestions as to what I can do about this? Will I have to replace the water or what? It is a two tier pond with a small pump which I must admit I haven't been running continuously.
    Any help greatly appreciated.:)

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 14,907 ✭✭✭✭CJhaughey

You need to put a UV light inline with the pump to kill the algae OR you can put Barley straw in the water to stop algal growth.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,338 ✭✭✭hobie

I agree with CJ on the UV lamp ..... :)

Re the Barley straw ...... I went as far as putting in complete bales of the $$$$ stuff ...... never did it for me but the Frogs always liked it .... :p

I've used a ProClear Advantage 55 watt lamp for the past 5 years or so and never had a problem since ..... remember you need to run the water through the lamp 24/7 ..... I run mine all year and change the bulb every 12 months .... cost for my unit is approx 130.00 sterling

I got my unit from these guys .... http://www.koicarp.net/uv_sterilization/proclear.html

Not sure if they are available in Ireland but you could ask "Fountains and Decor" in Dublin ..... they have a good bit of the more exotic pond gear ....

• Registered Users Posts: 7,163 ✭✭✭10-10-20

I made a bio filter and a mechanical filter for my pond a couple of years back and it worked quite well.
    I made it from two large rectangular plant pots which I filled one with fine filter foam and the other with fine gravel.
    I made a small sprinkler out of piping to flow half the the output from a standard pump over the foam, which was then piped down ontop of the gravel and then back into the pond.
    I primed the gravel with a small amount of bacteria that I got from a Johnstown Garden Center. Urine is a good starter too!

It needed some infrequent cleaning out - I HAD 10 gold-fish in the pond (the herron got a number of them recently) and I also had some oxygenating plants in there too.

Advertisement