Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Do Country Folk Moaning About Dubliners Posting About Dublin In AH Get On Your Tits?

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 29,509 ✭✭✭✭randylonghorn

Boo hiss!! Keep this tripe out of Galway!

But seriously, each section was created so people could post in the appropriate section to get the better answer. You post here, you're going to get half arsed sarcastic replies.

Half boney-arsed sarcastic replies, even? :D:D

dusf wrote:
    Do you honestly read the charter of every forum you post in?

Be as much of an arse or a rebel as you'd like but rules are rules whether you like it or not. And if you don't like it, theres a lot more forums out there on t'internet.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,797 ✭✭✭runswithascript

Be as much of an arse or a rebel as you'd like but rules are rules whether you like it or not. And if you don't like it, theres a lot more forums out there on t'internet.

Listen chump, I'm not trying to be a rebel, I'm just asking a simple question so if that's too much for you follow your own advice.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,916 ✭✭✭✭iguana

dusf wrote:
    Listen chump, I'm not trying to be a rebel, I'm just asking a simple question so if that's too much for you follow your own advice.

You were asking a simple question about rule breaking while breaking the rule you were asking about?

And fyi, I live in London - a city which make Dublin look like a small town - and posting threads in the wrong forum annoys the hell out of me. It's one thing when it's a mistake by a newbie but when it is done out of laziness it is rude and ignorant.

And most of the other regional forums are quite vibrant, but the Dublin one can be quite dull, because it is not used by many of it's citizens.

iguana wrote:
    And most of the other regional forums are quite vibrant, but the Dublin one can be quite dull, because it is not used by many of it's citizens.

Its only dull sometimes because they keep going to After Hours instead.

• Advertisement

iguana wrote:
    You were asking a simple question about rule breaking while breaking the rule you were asking about?

How was I breaking the rule when I never posted a thread exclusively concerning Dublin or it's citizens? This thread was to be put to people from Dublin, and people from outside of it.

I actually now think that it's wrong to post a Dublin centred thread in AH, regardless of the rules, that is to say in my opinion. Never did I say I thought these people were wrong for complaining. I just said what could be argued.

• Registered Users Posts: 19,396 ✭✭✭✭Karoma

dusf wrote:
    Do you honestly read the charter of every forum you post in?
    Are you saying you haven't read the AH charter?

I've read it.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,081 ✭✭✭fricatus

funny how ppl from waterford think its a city lol

Funny how people on boards.ie think they're absolutely hilarious. Is that the legendary Dublin wit then, is it?

Its only dull sometimes because they keep going to After Hours instead.

That was kind of my point.;)

I lived in Dublin for several years and will probably be moving back there at one point as my husband is from Dublin. I would like to see a more interesting forum but until more people start using it as it should be used that won't happen.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 19,396 ✭✭✭✭Karoma

OK. Back to the original point: I've explained this numerous times before, and some people simply cannot grasp the concept (This just confirms my belief that these people are too stupid to live and must be cleansed in the next Solution), but I'll try again:
    The "logic": You post a topic that is suited a more specific forum in AH because that specific forum doesn't get enough views, in your opinion. The specific forum gets less people viewing it. And, thus, the circle repeats.
    In reality, with links on the main page and so many people fed up with the dump-everything-in-one-place, the specific fora do actually attract a considerable crowd. And more importantly, a crowd that will have an innate interest in the topic and will be more knowledgeable on the subject and more helpful. They tend to have more of a community spirit. In short: you generally get a quick enough response, it's more on-topic, it's useful (it's not the usual AH standard), and it makes every forum -both the specific and the AH forums more readable.
    People have every right to complain about it - although, a Report Post would also go a long way rather than just whinging and bitching in-thread.

^That's the carrot. The stick: Do it repeatedly, and you will be banned.

(And I'm a Dub. before you ask/think about it)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14,483 ✭✭✭✭daveirl

This post has been deleted.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 90 ✭✭potty pete

No. "Where can\do I xxx in Dublin" threads blatently on AH for extra traffic (charter, anyone?) when there is a perfectly good Dublin local forum get on my tits.

And I challenge anyone who has ever posted one of these to tell me honestly it wasn't put on AH for the extra traffic. Go on, see who believes you.

You're quite the anal one.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 90 ✭✭potty pete

Karoma wrote:
    OK. Back to the original point: I've explained this numerous times before, and some people simply cannot grasp the concept (This just confirms my belief that these people are too stupid to live and must be cleansed in the next Solution), but I'll try again:
    The "logic": You post a topic that is suited a more specific forum in AH because that specific forum doesn't get enough views, in your opinion. The specific forum gets less people viewing it. And, thus, the circle repeats.
    In reality, with links on the main page and so many people fed up with the dump-everything-in-one-place, the specific fora do actually attract a considerable crowd. And more importantly, a crowd that will have an innate interest in the topic and will be more knowledgeable on the subject and more helpful. They tend to have more of a community spirit. In short: you generally get a quick enough response, it's more on-topic, it's useful (it's not the usual AH standard), and it makes every forum -both the specific and the AH forums more readable.
    People have every right to complain about it - although, a Report Post would also go a long way rather than just whinging and bitching in-thread.

^That's the carrot. The stick: Do it repeatedly, and you will be banned.

(And I'm a Dub. before you ask/think about it)

Oh this Nazi is so intelligent.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,514 ✭✭✭Naked Lepper

defo moved by a country folk cos they were losing the poll ha ha

They have a point though, this is not a democracy, The Geneva Convent is void here, Amnesty International doesn't know we exist :D

dusf wrote:
    The Geneva Convent is void here.

What have Genovese nuns got to do with anything?

Geneva Convent? :rolleyes:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 264 ✭✭Plissken1

funny how ppl from waterford think its a city lol

There are no cities in Ireland, just oversized towns and urban sprawl, full of drunk people.

Plissken1 wrote:
    There are no cities in Ireland, just oversized towns and urban sprawl, full of drunk people.

Don't be a hater!

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 264 ✭✭Plissken1

dusf wrote:
    Don't be a hater!

The truth always hurts, always !.

I spoke with some Australian Tourists, who opted to take that Dublin bus tour, they told me they wanted to get back on the plane afterwards, there was nothing to see. I thought it was funny because I always noticed these tours, and wondered what the hell they were all looking at ? maybe counting the junkies on the boardwalk ??. :D

Plissken1 wrote:
    I spoke with some Australian Tourists, who opted to take that Dublin bus tour, they told me they wanted to get back on the plane afterwards, there was nothing to see.

I'd partly agree with that. I don't really think there is that much in Dublin to attract tourists. Nothing that you couldn't completely experience in 2-3 days. And you could do every other Irish city in a day each. Ireland is not a great place for a city holiday.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,125 ✭✭✭lightening

iguana wrote:
    Ireland is not a great place for a city holiday.

Dublin tourism is booming. Rural tourism is on the decline. The reason is that Dublin is a great city to visit (and cheap flights). I have a lot of friends come over from Europe and the States and Oz. They love it.

On thing that p*sses me off is people (country, Dublin, Polish, I'm not really bothered) living in Dublin and constantly giving out about it. Sitting in front of your mac at night p*ssing and moaning about how crap the city is won't get you out there.

Here are a few things to keep you occupied.

Go sailing in Dublin bay.

Climb the Sugarloaf its only a hill.

Walk the full lenght of the Bull Wall.

Order chicken wings in Elephant and Castle.

Go to the botanical gardens.

Book Surfing lessons in Sligo or Donegal.

Shoot the sluice rappids on the river Liffey.

Go to the Zoo.

Do the Kilmainham Gaol tour.

Go and see the bogmen in the museum.

Go to the National Art Gallery.

Take a trip to Irelands Eye. (tell the lifeboat men and camp overnight!)

Take a trip to any of the Dublin bay islands.

Do the hop on hop off bus trip.

Do the Sea Safari.

Do the Viking spash tour.

Do the 1916 tour.

Do the Guinness hops tour.

I think there is a good whisky tour in Smithfield.

Eat out (they don't all cost much)

See a band (they play nearly every night)

Join a football/rowing/basketball... any team.

The dog show on Paddy's day is good fun.

Get mongrel magazine, great cheap listings and its free.

lightening wrote:
    Here are a few things to keep you occupied.

Go sailing in Dublin bay.

Climb the Sugarloaf its only a hill.

Walk the full lenght of the Bull Wall.

Book Surfing lessons in Sligo or Donegal.

Shoot the sluice rappids on the river Liffey.

Take a trip to Irelands Eye. (tell the lifeboat men and camp overnight!)

Take a trip to any of the Dublin bay islands.

Do the Sea Safari.

Eat out (they don't all cost much)

See a band (they play nearly every night)

Join a football/rowing/basketball... any team.

Get mongrel magazine, great cheap listings and its free.

None of these are city holiday attractions. If you go to New York, London or Paris there are 100's of things that will keep you occupied in the city for weeks/months. There are some nice things to do in Dublin, but I fail to see how any of those things would keep somebody occupied for a fortnight.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,125 ✭✭✭lightening

iguana wrote:
    None of these are city holiday attractions. If you go to New York, London or Paris there are 100's of things that will keep you occupied in the city for weeks/months. There are some nice things to do in Dublin, but I fail to see how any of those things would keep somebody occupied for a fortnight.

A fortnight????

Nobody goes to city for a fortnight unless they got some work.

All these activities are near town (except the surfing) they are all accessable by Dart or Buses. I meet Tourists on Irelands Eye all the time. The Sea safari leaves from th IFSC for gods sake! Gigs are in the city centre every night. Eating out is surely something you do in the city? How you you reckon picking up a city mag for free, seeing what is on in the city is not a city attraction? There is a list of boats in Howth Yacht club looking for crew. Weekend tourists are constantly getting races on Sundays via the web while visiting Dublin.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7 JimmySavlon

fricatus wrote:
    Funny how people on boards.ie think they're absolutely hilarious. Is that the legendary Dublin wit then, is it?

One day you'll loose that chip on your shoulder

• Registered Users Posts: 23,246 ✭✭✭✭Dyr

I've always maintained that the default location setting for boards is dublin. I love those chippy shouldered culchies who chafe at this simple fact. It kills them that when most people say something like "town" we can safely infer that they mean dublin city centre and not the bustling metropolis that is castlelbaney or some other backwater.

"omg you mentioned baggot street in AH, dublin forum tbh. ban please mods" etc etc. Bless em :)

lightening wrote:
    A fortnight????

Nobody goes to city for a fortnight unless they got some work.

What do you base that on? I know plenty of people who have gone to London, New York, Paris, Barcelona and Madrid for over a month.

• Moderators, Music Moderators Posts: 35,943 Mod ✭✭✭✭dr.bollocko

I hate everyone equally and I still think that there should be no more "Ere buddd, Where can I get a squeegee repaired in the Nordside" threads in after hours.
    It's a pretty hilarious Dubcentric attitude to have when in fact its just a smelly traffic ridden smoke spewing ugly cranky hole in the ground with no room for anyone so ye just took over poor Kildare and started making them put on the accent.

• Advertisement

so ye just took over poor Kildare and started making them put on the accent.

Man I hate people from Leixlip with Dublin accents. Mad as a box of frogs they are.

You think you a baller but you're just a customer no wait you is a buster you fake fraudulent mothertrucker!

Advertisement