Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

How to get a house?

Options
2»

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,413 ✭✭✭HashSlinging

Hi there, maybe try taking everything out of Ireland and moving to somewhere like Holland. Sounds drastic I know but it is an option.

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 32,285 Mod ✭✭✭✭The_Conductor

Hi there, maybe try taking everything out of Ireland and moving to somewhere like Holland. Sounds drastic I know but it is an option.

This is clearly not an option for the OP.

• Registered Users Posts: 577 ✭✭✭K_P

Trinity1, having worked in the housing section of the City Council, I'm unfortunately all too aware of your situation, ie, people who you'd love to help out and give a house to but due to the nature of the system you just can't.

Even though you're expecting your second child, you won't get extra points until the child is born. Even then, it'll only be a miserable 4 points. As you already have a son, if your second child is a daughter, when your son turns 9 you'll be eligible for another 16 "bedroom shortage" points. You'll also be eligible for a 3-bed rather than 2-bed place. Typing out the details of this system makes it sound even more ridiculous!

Anyway, all that amounts to not very many extra points but I'd recommend keeping in contact with the council for one reason alone: voluntary housing.

When the voluntary housing groups (eg, Cluid, Respond, Iveagh Trust, Sophia, etc.) have a new housing scheme ready to fill, they legally have to take nominations for tenancies from the local authority. And because they're not seen by the Council as council lettings, they don't have to stick to the points system. I don't work for the City Council anymore but when I did, we loved when we got a voluntary housing scheme to fill. It meant we could help out people such as yourself, ie, people on low points but who are doing the best they can and not looking for a free ride by having 40 kids and a drug problem.

There's no guarantee this option will work out for you but it's something that wasn't mentioned much on this thread so far. Also, as a tenant of a voluntary housing association, you wouldn't have the right to buy the house or apartment you would be allocated which is a major negative point for some people. But like I said, it's something else to think about.

Good luck!

Nice one K_P - there is a lot of very helpful information there.

Shane

• Closed Accounts Posts: 726 ✭✭✭abi2007

Trinty1,
    I recently became a single mum too. I owned my own house and when i split with my daughters dad we sold house and i moved in with my parents. I work full time and pay crech of 200 per week. My wages aren't very good but i applied to the affordable housing anyway, which they've approved me. I would say if you returned to work full time after the baby, you could send in another application...worth a shot. you should get legal maintenace agreements from both dads and send in with application will up your income. And if they refuse you ask them for suggestions to improve your app.

• Advertisement

abi2007 wrote:
    I forgot to say if you can move all debt to credit union before you apply and don't declare it on app

Not advisable, as you are delibertly downplaying your financial commitments. Irrespective of social/affordable housing- if you fail to meet your financial commitments, the assets on which those commitments are backed (your house) could potentially be at risk. Showing a reasonable amount of debt and the manner in which you deal with it- along with establishing a determinable credit history, also shows the council that you are capable of taking on the responsibility associated with a mortgage.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 393 ✭✭Peter Collins

Trinity1 wrote:
    i shouldnt have gotten myself up the duff

twice

twice

1 week temp ban. I did warn previously.
    Contact me in a weeks time to have it revoked.

Advertisement