Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

VW Passat 2002/03

Options
  • 28-03-2007 7:28pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 356 ✭✭

Hi Guys,

I've decided to buy my first proper car. I am a learner and awaiting a test but the car I was using has clapped it and after all the money i pumped into it isn't worth repairing.
    I really like the look of the passat ... a nice big solid car.
    Insurance isn't too bad. Insurance isn't too bad either up to 2 liter or the 1.8T.
    Now before anybody see's learner and thinks... WTF... your crazy... its too big etc... I dont like the look of the smaller cars and want something comfy when i am going back and forth to wexford with the girlfriend. This doesn't happen all the time. Fuel consumption isn't too big a worry because the majority of time I'll be driving my bike around town etc.. So its mainly for long distance use the odd time and learning to drive.
    So... can you tell me... what's reliability like on the 1.8T , 2 liter and 1.9TDI's ? Also fuel consumption wise how do they fare ?
    Any advice on inspecting used passats ?

agent_smith

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 11,465 ✭✭✭✭cantdecide

front suspension control arms. they are an alternative to a wishbone. they're a soft point on most VW/ Audis. they wear out pretty regularly which actually isn't a very big deal. they're not very expensive especially as you can now get good quality spurious ones. you can bank on doing a couple at every service. it is a superior setup which gives great handling and refinement but they don't last too long on Irish roads. just get the car checked over because there is four per side, one of which holds the shock and if it wears through- bang, free lowering job!! if you buy from a dealer, make sure they have them up to date before you take it.

1.8T and 1.9tdi- if it has over 100k miles it is likely the turbo will be thinking about giving up. i think they usually average about a grand or so.

timing belt service is bloody stiff so make sure it has been done as the front of the car has to be stripped off to do the job. i'm not sure of any other weak points. i've had two high mileage A4s and just this month i got a '98 A6. i'm not a fanatic but having had a couple of BMWs and having mercs in the family, it was bloody nice to get an Audi again. just stay away from the 1.6s, there totally underpowered,

not sure about fuel on the petrols as my A4s were diesel. high forties were typical. my 2.8 is getting about 27mpg so you'll be doing a lot better than i am.

on the issue of suitability for a learner- drive on mad. you have the right idea. there is no advantage in having a smaller car especially if fuel isn't a big deal and you do long hauls.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,660 ✭✭✭maidhc

cantdecide wrote:
    1.8T and 1.9tdi- if it has over 100k miles it is likely the turbo will be thinking about giving up. i think they usually average about a grand or so.

It is a poor turbo that will only do 100k miles. I know of one Skoda Octavia TDI with 250k up and no new turbo yet. In fact once they have been treated with respect a turbo should live as long as the engine.

• Registered Users Posts: 51,239 ✭✭✭✭bazz26

The TDi will definately be the most economical if mpg is a concern. It will also be easier to sell on when your done with it. The Passat 1.8T is not very common but will cost alot less to buy than the TDi so if your not doing alot of mileage it might work out that bit better.

Make sure the timing belt is changed or put aside about €500 for it as a timing belt change in that model Passat is expensive due to it being awkward to get at as the engine is mounted length ways.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,253 ✭✭✭Sandwich

Get 47 to 49 mpg in mixed driving from my TDI 100

Advertisement