Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Lidl gear

Options
  • 28-03-2007 7:53pm
    Registered Users Posts: 4,329 ✭✭✭

I'm heading for a days fishing off Kilmore Quay on Saturday and was going to head into town to buy some waterproofs. Then I noticed that Lidl have some fishing gear on offer this week. What do you think:

http://www.lidl.ie/ie/home.nsf/pages/c.o.20070329.p.Waders

and just cut off the feet? Can't lose for 6.99??!

BTW - I'll bring the camera and post some shots of we catch anything.

A

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,316 ✭✭✭ButcherOfNog

well, you will lose if they leak, they'll be plain old fashioned non-breathable plastic, any sort of a warm day and you'll bake in them. btw, bought a pair of waders last year from them, and they leaked first time out.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,992 ✭✭✭✭GBX

A friend of mine got the waders too and they leaked as well

• Registered Users Posts: 5,701 ✭✭✭jd

Henry's tackle have chest waders for 30 euro at the moment- a much better bet. Don't wear waders in a boat!

• Registered Users Posts: 263 ✭✭lemeister

Are any of the rods that LIDL are selling suitable for say fishing for Mackerel off Howth and the likes? I haven't fished for years and then it was river fishing so I haven't a clue of equipment needed for sea fishing/beach casting. I'd like to give it a go but don't want to spend too much initially on equipment till I see if I'll enjoy it.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,041 ✭✭✭stevoman

are the rod's any good for trout?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,329 ✭✭✭arctictree

I bought one in Lidl for 24.99. It says its for course fishing but I'll use it as a beach rod or for summer sea spinning for bass/mackeral etc. The only problem seems to be that the weight is a bit off centre.

A

i bought the trout fishing rod aswell last night. to be honest im not that big on fishing, shooting is my sport, but for what i got for my money yesterday i have to say im very happy with it.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 586 ✭✭✭Bradidup

I see in there current catalogue they have an inflatable motorboat in their fishing section complete with paddles & outboard motor all for e199. Is there any one here that would take this thing serious or should it be in the kiddies department?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,882 ✭✭✭Doc Farrell

I went to Coolock and spent quite a bit on two of everything except the cheaper waders. Very happy with the stuff but then I dont take fishing too seroiusly, just a way to pretend to do something while enjoying the view.
    Lidl don't take credit cards btw, only cash or laser.

actually what I'm really excited about is the fly rod and reel because I'm a complete novice but as soon as I put it together it felt just right.

very excited about it, will have to do a weekend course first.

nice.

the reason i got two of everything is so no one I drag along has an excuse. And the stuff was only about 25 quid each! come on!

• Registered Users Posts: 4,093 ✭✭✭TelePaul

I had one fo the rods. They're telescopic but don't close very easily; mine jammed after some WD40 :confused: Apart from that it was handy enough, caught fish on it like.

Also, the stock reels aren't too good, with the line supplied they're prone to birds nesting. The other reels on sale are quite cool though.

A buddy of mine bought the leg waders that were available last time, and they've served him really well. I got a set of chest ones this time round, I really hope they don't leak. I also bought the weight set, it looks handy enough.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,741 ✭✭✭yankinlk

bought one of their fly rods last year - -never used one before and i caught a few trout.

can vouch for the bird nesting on the stock reels.

i caught a fne trout with my lidl rod on friday evening, but the the way the rod folds is a bit of a put off, its very stubborn to fold and you can get tangled very easily

• Registered Users Posts: 3,316 ✭✭✭ButcherOfNog

Well done on the trout stevoman, but the gear is cheap so don't expect quality. If you get the fishing bug then upgrade to something better.

Advertisement