Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Where to put washing machine and dryer?

Options
  • 28-03-2007 8:00pm
    Registered Users Posts: 984 ✭✭✭

In our renovation job, we're trying to decide where to put our washing machine and dryer. Here are the options:

1. In the garage at the bottom of the garden. Pros: if it leaks or blows up, no damage done. No noise in the house. Near the washing line so more incentive to hang clothes out rather than tumble dry (more energy efficient and cheaper). Cons: far away from the place where laundry is produced and needed, especially on a wet day.

2. On the landung outside the bedrooms and the bathroom. Pro: very central. Cons: noisy, no incentive to hang clothes out.

3. Under the counter in the kitchen. Pros: near a sink for handwashing stuff. Near the garden for hanging things out. Con: takes up valuable space.

I realise this is probably the most boring and mundane post ever - Christ, I'm on the internet talking about washing machines - but can anyone speak from experience and advise me as to what might be a good/bad idea?

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 75 ✭✭plasto

Have you began the renovations?

I have a utility/downstairs toilet! Sounds strange, but works really well. The room is 4.5x7ft, has washing machine and dryer with a worktop above them, a toilet and hand basin.

Close the door when your machines are running, and close to the back door.

Hope that helps you.:)

• Registered Users Posts: 46,143 ✭✭✭✭muffler

All depends on how lazy you are :D

For me the garage would be a no no. You still have to go out to the garage and put laundry in, take it out, switch machines on and off etc etc. Put them in a utility room or tolet. Stack them to conserve floor space.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,577 ✭✭✭Heinrich

Option 1 I would say. Unless you have a garden that spans a hectare I don't see where the problem would be. The washing would be hung out on a line anyway.

My wife has a fantastic workshop with Machine, dryer, sink, presses in one corner. She has her ironing board , sewing machine, large work table, heating, dehumidifier, couch for chin wags etc. That frees up a huge amount of space in the house and there's no noise. The dehumidifier gets rid of the steam from the laurastar.

Now if you want the facilities beside the sink in the kitchen why not. Saves you the bother of going out into the garden to hang clothes. Think of the comfort while the blizzard is raging outside.:D

Most people I know prefer to hang the clothes out and it certainly saves on the ESB bills.

• Registered Users Posts: 46,143 ✭✭✭✭muffler

Heinrich wrote:
    She has her ironing board
    Yeah, she looks nice in that black outfit :D

• Registered Users Posts: 984 ✭✭✭NextSteps

muffler wrote:
    Yeah, she looks nice in that black outfit :D

that perfectly pressed black outfit. Daz, perhaps?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 391 ✭✭Dopey

We've had ours in the garage at the bottom of the garden for a couple of years now. it works well. We had to get it plumbed for mains water and waste.

Advertisement