Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Hanging insulated plasterboard

Options
  • 28-03-2007 8:08pm
    Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 186 ✭✭

Hi,

I've bought some insulated plasterboard and hung some of it with mushrooms, the plastic things to go through the plasterboard into the masonary behind them. When I put one in, there's a fair thickness sticking out the other side, like about 3mm. Are you intended to skim over the whole sheet covering over them, or should you bash them right into the board so they are flush with the board?

thanks,
    J

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 75 ✭✭plasto

Bash them in!

Are you gonna skim the boards or tape-and-joint them?

Mushrooms are ok if your skimming over them, but for taping your better off sticking them to the wall with bonding compound.

Good luck:)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 75 ✭✭plasto

How did you get on?

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 186 ✭✭jdpl28

Not too well. I'm thinking I didn't drill deep enough holes... There still protruding by about 2 mm. Is there any chance of skimming over that amount?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 77 ✭✭Whizzo

Buy an agitator to use with you're drill in you're local diy ( about €6)and blob the boards on.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 98 ✭✭fatchance

I had the same hastle doing up an old house, mushrooms would'nt got in flush some of the time. Cut them off at the head and drill again, PITA

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators Posts: 1,921 Mod ✭✭✭✭karltimber

when using the mushroom method - if the wall is not entirely flat -you will hammer the pb along this wall and it will look off.

best bet is to use the plasterdoard adhesive.
    as said get a mixing agitator and use about 1/2 bag.
    put about 20 dollops from a gauging trowel onto wall - for the 8 *4 sheet
    place pb against wall - lift to the ceiling and push the board in.
    a few pieces of spare pb will hold it in against the ceiling
    with a large straingth piece of timber make sure the board is level with the others both vertically and horizontally.

no need to use the mushroom pegs at all.
    and you can use insulated pb on the external walls.

if this is your first time - get someone to help
    have a look at some images of lads pb-ing a room - search the web

let us know how you get on.

K

Advertisement