Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Recommendation for window companies?

Options
  • 28-03-2007 9:17pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 779 ✭✭✭

I am looking into getting all the windows and the patio doors in my house replaced with double glazed. Has anyone got any recommendations or advice on which company to use. I have had senator windows out and am awaiting a quote from them. I plan to get a few other comapnies out before I make a decision but would like to hear feedback from people who have had this done recently.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 487 ✭✭cormac_byrne

Avoid Senator at all costs, from experience I can tell you that they will lie about delivery times and do a really shoddy job when they eventually turn up.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 779 ✭✭✭homeOwner

I just heard about the Joe duffey show this morning from my mum, some window company going bust. Friends of my Mum had their windows done by senator and they had glowing things to say about them.

Your comments make me worried. I was sort of decided on senator after talking to her.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,282 ✭✭✭sas

homeOwner wrote:
    I just heard about the Joe duffey show this morning from my mum, some window company going bust. Friends of my Mum had their windows done by senator and they had glowing things to say about them.

Your comments make me worried. I was sort of decided on senator after talking to her.

Swedex are gone.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 180 ✭✭mjffey

Try Gradys in Charlestown, Co. Mayo. They come all over Ireland and have good service and good prices.

They do UPV as well as hard wood. We got quotes in from different companies ranging from 7500.00 -12500 excl VAT and delivery and fitting.
    Gradys came in under 6000.00 for hardwood doubled glazed, argon filled, toughend glass, incl VAT, delivery and fitting.

Quotation was for:
    1 x French doors + same height windows on both side, in total 3 x 2.10 m
    2 x Fixed windows 2.10x 0.90
    1 x frame of 4 fixed windows, in total 3 x 2.10 m
    1 x window 1.80 x 1.10 with one part opening outside
    2 x external doors, of which one with sidewindow
    1 x internal door

Good luck

• Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 7,687 Mod ✭✭✭✭delly

Hey cormac_byrne, just for the record, are your comments based on your own direct experience with Senator?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 27,164 ✭✭✭✭GreeBo

I got Senator windows because they have been around for years and I didnt want them to do a Swedex on me.

Personally I wish I hadnt as they were expensive and did not leave a finish that I was happy with.
    I have had them back 5+ times to "fix" the front door (I wanted the version where you dont have a draught, but they dont seem to seel that)
    In the end I fxed it myself.

The seals around all the upstairs windows are poor and missing in places so there can be more draughts here.

They didnt other fitting the external covers in the vents on the windows that you cant see without a ladder.

They were very expesnsive.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,297 ✭✭✭Reyman

Did I hear someone saying that Swedex were gone?

They did a porch job for me for €7k a couple of months ago. Sounds like I was lucky not to lose the deposit !

• Registered Users Posts: 487 ✭✭cormac_byrne

yes my comments based on personal experience, so have the evidence to prove how crap they are.

• Registered Users Posts: 383 ✭✭wex96

try k&k outside Gorey in Craanford Small but good, or weatherglaze in Gorey. if you said what part of country you are in might narrow down the search.:)

• Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 7,687 Mod ✭✭✭✭delly

No worries, you know yourself when it comes to these sort of things.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 77 ✭✭Whizzo

I can recommend Wright Window (wws.ie) for price and service. They are based in westmeath, so depending where you live may not suit them.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,105 ✭✭✭hiscan

Avoid Senator at all costs, from experience I can tell you that they will lie about delivery times and do a really shoddy job when they eventually turn up.
    they quoted me 12500 euro for my windows i got them done for 6100 from loughnanes joinery in galway and not even one problem since 2003

Advertisement