Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Anybody good with organic chem?

• 28-03-2007 9:33pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,117 ✭✭✭

Hi,

Just been piling through a big amount of questions all night, have come down to two i haven't a clue of. I must have missed the lectures :(

Help much much appreciated thanks!

file2.jpg

file3.jpg

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 82 ✭✭Leidenfrost

oh man you suck ass, I mean I'm in secondary school and i can do these!

though it isn't on the course or anything, I just love makin my own drugs and explosives.
    so I happen to know a lot about these things.
    but surprisingly I know nothing about synchronized swimming!

first off you don't tell us what ''F or Z'' is and therefore I don't know what the question is exactly, like is it to name the compounds?
    if it is?
    I'll start you off man
    in your first link the compound ''d'' is 2-ethyl-hex-2-ene

and in your second link
    f seems to be a simple hydrogenation reaction where the double bonds are broken on the hex-3-ene and hexane is formed.

g seems to be but-2-ene and butanol is formed from the hydrolysis reaction.

as for the other diagram in your first link, well I'm not going to answer it, because you should be able to do this yourself!

yes I am trying to guilt trip you!

i mean what were you doing instead of attending the lectures?

is this first year chem in college?
    what course are you attending?
    I'd be surprised if this was a degree course!

you fail at life!

this crap description of how to read those diagrams is here.
    http://www.chem.ucalgary.ca/courses/351/Carey/nomenclature/alkenes/alkenes-1.html

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,117 ✭✭✭Gazza22

Good for you! I don't like organic chemistry at all, and this is only my 8th week into the module, im new to organic, and hate it!
    first off you don't tell us what ''F or Z'' is and therefore I don't know what the question is exactly, like is it to name the compounds?
    if it is?

Obviously you don't know everything. It's called Z/E notation. There is no naming of anything involved, you place a priority on the atoms in the double bond.
    i mean what were you doing instead of attending the lectures?
    You'll understand if you go to college, theres nothing taboo about skipping a lecture here and there. It's healthy for your brain, especially when your typical day is start 9am, finish at sometimes 6.
    is this first year chem in college?
    what course are you attending?
    I'd be surprised if this was a degree course!

No, not first year chem. Unfortunently i have a lot of chemistry in my course, but i'll survive, hopefully :p. And yes a four year honours degree if you must know.
    you fail at life!

naahh :cool:
    this crap description of how to read those diagrams is here.
    http://www.chem.ucalgary.ca/courses/351/Carey/nomenclature/alkenes/alkenes-1.html
    Thanks! All done and dusted though already. Some serious cramming of a few orgaynic books sorted it out....

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,005 ✭✭✭Creature

For the first link structure (d) is Z and the other E. Z/E are used in place of cis/trans when you have more than two types of substituents on a double bond. You count out the longest chain and if it's cis across the double bond then its Z. If trans then E

For the first reaction its a hydrogenation reaction (alkene --> alkane). The Palladium catalyst is a giveaway.
    The next one is a hydration, the alkene becomes an alcohol with no double bond.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,117 ✭✭✭Gazza22

Creature wrote:
    For the first link structure (d) is Z and the other E. Z/E are used in place of cis/trans when you have more than two types of substituents on a double bond. You count out the longest chain and if it's cis across the double bond then its Z. If trans then E

For the first reaction its a hydrogenation reaction (alkene --> alkane). The Palladium catalyst is a giveaway.
    The next one is a hydration, the alkene becomes an alcohol with no double bond.

Thanks Creature. Yeah i had to learn that the hard way last night, eventually found out how to do them at like 3am!

• Registered Users Posts: 82 ✭✭Leidenfrost

I accept I don't know everything, and obviously never will, but I did give you the correct answers to the second link.

9-6...so what? I do that Mon-Fri?

granted school ends at 3:45 but evening study begins at 4 and ends at 6.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 714 ✭✭✭Mucco

in your first link the compound ''d'' is 2-ethyl-hex-2-ene

hmmmm, maybe you should look again.

Advertisement