Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Road 2 carrigtwohill/midleton...

Options
  • 28-03-2007 10:00pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 100 ✭✭

What do ye think about the state of the road cork to carrigtwohill/ midleton? living in carrigtwohill, got an information leaflet from Amgen 2day, saying that there will be traffic lites on the dual carrigway 4 2 and a half years...will this work? carrigtwohills a disgrace at the moment.

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 88,978 ✭✭✭✭mike65

Txt spk pss f readrs

Mike.

• Registered Users Posts: 451 ✭✭LilMrsDahamsta

I live in Castlemartyr; hopefully moving to Cloyne soon. You know things are bad when you reach the first roadworks sign, indicating merging lanes in 800m, and you're already crawling along in first.

How on earth did they get planning to disrupt the main Cork-Waterford road for two and a half years?!!

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 16,659 ✭✭✭✭dahamsta

Some major backhanders and fronthanders and sidehanders going on by the looks of things.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,744 ✭✭✭deRanged

When you're offering 1200 jobs you get a lot of 'cooperation' from the council.

And they're talking about upping the speed on the parkway as far as the Barryscourt turnoff to 120 kmh. So you hit the roadworks a bit faster. Splendid.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 220 ✭✭MLM

There could be roadworks on that stretch of road for longer than two years as the whole road between Carrigtwohill and Midleton is in planning for an upgrade.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 776 ✭✭✭Judes

I've found a way of avoiding said traffic - but it's a bit of a detour. If coming from Midleton - heading towards Cork i.e. you're on the main road, driving past all the garages/car sales showrooms, then you turn off towards Cork - when you hit the new mini roundabout, instead of turning - "right" towards sliproad for Cork - go straight ahead through the new Housing Estate - and you continue along country roads for several miles and end up coming out opposite the main entrance ofthe Sheraton Fota Resort. So when you are opposite that - just turn right and you're heading to Main Cork Road. As I said a bit of a detour but it saves a lot of delays. Give it a try and good luck!

• Registered Users Posts: 12,683 ✭✭✭✭Owen

OP, that's a difficult post to read. I was on the way to Midelton for the first time in weeks last night, and ended up in the chicane of cones, only to be directed to the mother of all potholes ... I'm terrified to look under the bonnet and see if my wheel arch has mushroomed :(

• Registered Users Posts: 6,660 ✭✭✭Blitzkrieger

Judes wrote:
    I've found a way of avoiding said traffic

Traffic from Midlteton to Cork? I haven't been in Midleton in the last two weeks but I thought the traffic was only bad from Carrigtwohill to Midleton?

Back roads ftw...

• Registered Users Posts: 8,819 ✭✭✭rymus

took me nearly 2 hours to get to Midleton this morning.. woooooooo

Course, that was due to an accident and not to the roadworks, but still... 2 hours. Thank God it was sunny :D

There was a nasty tailback when I was passing in the other direction at 11am, way worse than it should have been at that time of the day.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 88,978 ✭✭✭✭mike65

I thought all the madness ws going west-east not from the east which is the direction I'll be taking on Monday. Hmmm better keep an eye on AA.ie

Mike.

the nutty traffic this morning was due to a death on the road overnight. Apparently the gardai had the road partially closed off. Apart from the roadworks, everything should be hunky dory again

• Registered Users Posts: 908 ✭✭✭scuby

and on top of that, during the morning news on the radio, the guards at the scene of the accident, apparently asked for drivers to slow down, travelling from midleton to cork....... they noticed alot of speeding on the road but were occupied with the cork ro midleton rd at the time..... will people ver slow down......

last week on road from carrigtwohill to little island there was a 5 car pile up !! there are crazy drivers on the road from midleton to cork

No there aren't, at least not more than anywhere else. I travel that road a couple of days a week and I very rarely see anything going over 70, so unless you consider 70 crazy...

Speed doesn't kill, morons and crap drivers kill.

adam

The driving on the road is no worse than anywhere else - most of the speeding happens on the parallel roads, where there aren't loads of speed traps.

The road would be grand if there weren't all the median crossings and t-junctions without proper slip roads.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 100 ✭✭alancork

I am sorry mike, I did not realise I had used so much said "txt spk". But ya, there's plenty of back roads if you just know them. However, going through Carrigtwohill is just as bad, with the roadworks. The people doing the "stop/go" signs don't really seem to have a clue imho. The roads are literally falling apart in Carrig from all the traffic now, they just keep patching up the holes, for new ones to form again.

Trust me - try the road I'm suggesting!!!

And I think there are some "mad" drivers on that stretch of road - I drive from Cobh to Cork every day and it's that stretch (after the slip road entrance to Cork road) there are young guys literally flying up there. Last night I got yet another scare when I was on the fast lane doing about 65, having just passed a car - and wanted to move onto slower lane again - but wasn't able to due to a lunatic driving so fast behind me that I thought he was going to ram me - I couldn't move back to the slower lane due to other car there, so was trying to go a little faster and swerve. I swear that car would have rammed me - and what was it - yet another car with foreign number plates, filled with young lads. If there were more police on the road, it might encourage them to slow down. Well, I say "might" in an optimistic manner. As a woman driving on the roads - and not meaning to sound sexist, I rarely get hassled by speeding women, it's usually young guys - and then they wonder why their insurance is higher. I suppose I'll be shot for that comment.........................

The bloody foreigners brigade in effect.

I could recount a few experiences I've had over the last week or so with ignorant women on the road, but I wouldn't want to be labelled as sexist. It's not only young fellas that drive like mentalists.

Doesn't matter how many police are on the road, as long as people are driving non national cars with non national driving licenses, they'll keep getting away with driving like assholes. Where's that crackdown on foreign reg cars we were promised some time ago?

Judes wrote:
    Trust me - try the road I'm suggesting!!!

For anyone trying to take a back road to Midleton you can hit this road by heading towards cobh and taking the only left on fota island. It's pretty much straight on at every junction but I'd imagine you'd have to hang a right to go through the new housing estate to hit the mini-roundabout. A few sharp turns and narrow bits but the surface isn't all bad. I can't imagine it being faster than the main road, even with traffic but what do I know....

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,917 ✭✭✭RebelRockChick

Get the bus to Cork from Midleton every morning, four times a week. Coming home in the evening is the worst, especially where they have the road is one lane of traffic not far after coming out of Carrigtwohill and then back into two lanes. Don't find the traffic as bad in the morning on the way to Cork. Obviously delays were there yesterday due to the accident.

A bit off topic but for the people who drive into Midleton...the roundabout by has got to be one of the place I see really bad driving. Do not drive on the roads much yet myself but the amount of times I have been in a car going around that roundabout in the outside lane, rounding the corner by hurleys heading straight onto the main street and have seen cars from the inside lane almost scrapping off the car getting into the outside lane in a joke!! And is not just young fella or women....every bad experience at the roundabout I've had, they have been older fellas.

Sorry for going a bit off topic but just wanted to see if anyone else has had any of the same experiences??

Yet another issue we'll all raise when those who want our vote come door knocking - and no doubt the powers that be will make more promises - all I can say is that "it's a great government for making rules - and never following through...........". And now that rush hour approaches - I hope you Midletoner's have a nice easy drive home. And if you want to risk my traffic avoidance, then from Cork side, take slip road to Cobh, 2 teeny round abouts in a row, then continue on a bit further - and when you see the entrance turning to Fota Island Hotel/Resort - take a left and keep on heading to Midleton. GOOD LUCK! J

• Registered Users Posts: 1,917 ✭✭✭RebelRockChick

Was on my way home from the City game and there was yet another crash between Carrigtwohill and Midleton, by Miles bush. I'd say it was about an hour ago. Couldn't get passed until one of the cars moved out of the way.

Four Cars involved, front sides 2/3 of the cars smashed in. Two of the cars were on the left side of the road, one on the right near the hedge, hedging all over the road and another on the left further on which had the front right side smashed in. One guy covered in blood, saw a ambulance heading up there when we reached town. Hope no-one was seriously injured, looked bad!

dahamsta wrote:
    No there aren't, at least not more than anywhere else. I travel that road a couple of days a week and I very rarely see anything going over 70, so unless you consider 70 crazy...

Speed doesn't kill, morons and crap drivers kill.

adam

well fine if you want to drive at 70 or over, i don't care, as long as the driver can control his/her car at that speed, when others are travelling at 60. What i meant by crazy, was people who tail gate other cars, leaving a distance of about 2 feet from bumper to bumper, and the people who switch lanes every min or so, trying to get ahead of the rest.. the funny thing is, when you get to either cork or midleton they are more than likely just in front of you not after gaining any time/distance ....... i travel from carrigtwohill to littleisland 5 days a week, and there are muppets doing all the above, maybe some of these people should be sent out with ambulance crews to accidents and see what happens if you have to regard for speeding, driving dangerously etc etc.....as i write this the 9pm news headline is !!!! 7 people lose their lives on the road since yesterday afternoon...

Tailgaters are the aforementioned morons and crap drivers. Lanehoppers to a certain extent too, but it has to be said that there'd be a hell of a lot less of them if people didn't sit in the outside lane as if it's a driving lane; when of course it's not, it's an overtaking lane.

If I come up behind one of them I will pull into the inside lane and drive at my normal cruising speed past them. I don't consider that lane hopping or undertaking, it's catered for in the rules of the road.

(Although of course they're not laws and therefore not gospel either.)

adam

How on earth did they get planning to disrupt the main Cork-Waterford road for two and a half years?!!

I was reading that Amgen press release last night - they're only planning on having the temporary traffic lights there for five months. The council were planing on doing a flyover like that in 2-3 years anyway so Amgen are really just bringing it forward. The trouble is that there's more flyovers planned. I'm not sure where but one's going in at Water Rock, so there'll be delays on that road for a while. There might be a gap between the works though and when it's all over the road should be safer.

What should really piss you off is that Healys' quarry offered to pay to put in a flyover there years ago and were refused planning permission. And you can bet they would have done it with less disruption. Not only was there less traffic back then but they wouldn't have wanted to slow the flow of their own trucks out of the quarry.

dahamsta wrote:

If I come up behind one of them I will pull into the inside lane and drive at my normal cruising speed past them. I don't consider that lane hopping or undertaking, it's catered for in the rules of the road.

adam

agree with ya there alright....

• Registered Users Posts: 12,683 ✭✭✭✭Owen

dahamsta wrote:

AFAIR, it's not catered for in the ROTR. The concept of undertaking in the Rules of the Road applies to slow moving traffic, ie : queing for the Magic Roundabout.

I reckon it says slower traffic. There's a copy at home somewhere, I'll look later.

• Advertisement

According to the new rules of the road (p 45):
    ROTR wrote:
    REMEMBER
    You must normally overtake on the right. However, you are allowed to
    overtake on the left in the situations listed below.

You may overtake on the left when
    You want to go straight ahead when the driver in front of you has moved
    out and signalled that they intend to turn right.

You have signalled that you intend to turn left.

Traffic in both lanes is moving slowly and traffic in the left-hand lane is
    moving more quickly than the traffic in the right-hand lane.

Advertisement