Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Euro 2008 Qualification?

• 28-03-2007 10:06pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,480 ✭✭✭✭

Tentative talk to say the least but maybe its time for a positive outlook. Theres been a lot of negative talk about Ireland on Boards recently (I've indulged in a bit myself) so maybe its time to be optimistic.

Germany P5 Pts 13
    Czech Rep P6 Pts 13
    Ireland P7 Pts 13

It's not beyond the bounds of possibility that Stan may somehow stumble his way to Euro 2008. The Czechs only beat Cyprus 1-0 too so they're no world beaters in this group either. It could be closer than most people think.

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,124 ✭✭✭Jonny Arson

Not a hope in hell, Ireland are still too sh!t.

Czechs away, Slovakia away, Wales away impossble to get 9 points, I think Ireland will end up with 3 if lucky. Then Germany home, 1 point at best and Cyprus 1 or 3

We're basically waiting for the Czechs to feck up similar to how we did in Cyprus. Then we've a decent chance. Otherwise it's possible that it might come down to the wire but we can't make any more mistakes.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,921 ✭✭✭✭Pigman II

No chance of qualifying tbh. All these results are doing is prolonging the inevitable. We're basically getting worked up about winning a couple of games that we should by all rights be winning anyway.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,905 ✭✭✭bucks73

Not a chance. Cant see us beating the Germans here or the Czechs away. Slovakia away also a tough one.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,105 ✭✭✭mada999

meh, we will beat the slovakians at home if we have no injuries...
    Czech's are not the team they were (and I dont mean geographically), but again we should beat them if we have no injuries... I can see maybe a draw with Germany, or a 1-0 to them, but I hope we win....

All in all we will get better....you gotta have hope..:)

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 19,341 ✭✭✭✭Chucky the tree

We shown how useless we are away from home. The slovaks will beat us, wales could nick and draw and the czechs will spank us.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,184 ✭✭✭✭Pighead

Pigman II wrote:
    No chance of qualifying tbh. All these results are doing is prolonging the inevitable. We're basically getting worked up about winning a couple of games that we should by all rights be winning anyway.
    Gonna be disregarding this opinion, you said we had no chance against the Slovaks either. Wrong again buddy.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,312 ✭✭✭Limerick Dude

Well after the Cyprus game everyone thought it was mathematically impossible, but hey if we win the rest of our games we have a chance.

Slovakia and Czechs away will be tough but they are winable.
    Germany at home would be the biggest test but with teh croke park factor hopefully we could get a historic win, i dont know what alll the fuss about wales is? Even in Cardiff they are still a shíte team and we should beat them.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 19,341 ✭✭✭✭Chucky the tree

Well after the Cyprus game everyone thought it was mathematically impossible, but hey if we win the rest of our games we have a chance

:confused:

I am pretty sure no one thought that, because it wasnt actually mathematically impossible.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,480 ✭✭✭✭cson

At the least I'd like to see us go and try to play football, the 4-5-1 formation (even with Duff roaming) is annoying me a bit. Maybe if Stan played it a bi like Arsenal did in the champs league with the wingers breaking to support the striker, maybe having Duff wide left, Hunt wide right breaking to support Doyle? Might work.

Off Topic - Does the Croke Park pitch seem kinda funny to anyone else?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,312 ✭✭✭Limerick Dude

If by funny you mean extrememly bumpy then yes!! :D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14,013 ✭✭✭✭eirebhoy

Well Cyprus at home we should win.

I fancy us to get at least a point against the Germans.

The 3 away games could go any way tbh.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 30,404 ✭✭✭✭Ghost Train

we've been unlucky in the the past, maybe this campaign we'll be luckier. We still have a decent chance, still in our own hands is we win our games. only a chance but i look forward to the rest of the games, the situation could be a whole lot worse

Pighead wrote:
    Gonna be disregarding this opinion, you said we had no chance against the Slovaks either. Wrong again buddy.

Yep, I know you are. I favoured Slovakia but I didn't say we had "no chance". You should get a job interviewing the Irish players with reportage like that.

Hope springs eternal....

We've got a promising set of players though (Which is contrary to what I once thought). They're young-ish and with the likes of O'Dea and Stokes coming through it mightn't be too long before Ireland grace a major tournament again.

Pigman II wrote:
    Yep, I know you are. I favoured Slovakia but I didn't say we had "no chance". You should get a job interviewing the Irish players with reportage like that.

And you should get a job standing in for Eamonn Dunphy with your unrivalled negativity.
    Pigman II wrote:
    It's ok. We're only winning because Wales are unbelievably poor. It's not as if we've turned the corner of anything based on this shambolic performance.

I'm confident Slovakia will pick us off on Wednesday and that will be the begining of the end for Mr. Staunton.

You're even digging up quotes from me now but you still haven't shown me where I said we had "no chance". Keep trying.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,955 ✭✭✭✭Zebra3

Germany host Slovakia on 6 June. A defeat would leave them with nine points from seven games. And Slovakia gone.

I think the Germans have the group wrapped up and it's up to us to give the Czechs a run for their money.

We are on 13. Same as CR. We've played a game more.

IMO we need to beat Wales (a) and Cyprus (h) as well as either Slovakia (a) or Germany (h), draw the one we don't win from the latter two and draw away with CR.

That leaves us with 24.

CR currently have 13 with six games left.

Wales (a). Win > 16

San Marino (a). Win > 19

Ireland (h). Draw > 20

Germany (a). Defeat > 20

Slovakia (h). Win >23

Cyprus (a). They need to only draw in Cyprus if they draw 0-0 at home with us.

But could Wales or Slovakia get a result against the CR.....

And remember if the run-in starts to get close the pressure is all on the CR. :)

Pigman II wrote:
    You're even digging up quotes from me now but you still haven't shown me where I said we had "no chance". Keep trying.
    Classic evasive tactics. Ok lets try it this way.
    Mr Pigman II did you think Ireland had a chance against Slovaka tonight?

Of course. Theres always a chance. Andorra had a chance of beating England tonight too.

So try not putting words in other peoples mouths in future please. Actually Boards even has that nifty "quote" option just to make it extra easy for you.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 36,407 ✭✭✭✭LuckyLloyd

Babysteps. People are looking way ahead of themselves. The toughest section is the next set of games - away to the Czech Republic and Slovakia in the space of four days in September. We will require a minimum of four points there (which is a big ask given the current state of affairs), and then we may need to win the rest.

After the next set of games we can reassess. I'm quite skeptical at the moment however. We are supposed to beat Wales and Slovakia at home. Nothing that was lost in Germany and Cyprus was regained. We are still a longshot.

Pigman II wrote:
    Of course. Theres always a chance. Andorra had a chance of beating England tonight too.

So try not putting words in other peoples mouths in future please. Actually Boards even has that nifty "quote" option just to make it extra easy for you.
    Pigman II wrote:
    No chance of qualifying tbh

Checkmate.

Well I wouldn't say people are geting way ahead of themselves.... I was just putting forward the possibility (that believe it or not still exists) of Ireland making Euro 2008.

Key difference being merely winning a game and qualifying for a tournament.

Must be past your bedtime?

Time to use that "nifty "quote" option" thing again.
    Pigman II wrote:
    Of course. Theres always a chance.

Face it Pigman II, you've lost this round, time to go away, gather your thoughts and come back stronger and better next time. Do a Staunton, if you will. Goodnight buddy.

And throwing all your toys out the pram trying to pre-emptively call full-time on a discussion like you're doing now is .....
    Pighead wrote:
    Classic evasive tactics.

You've made a made a mistake on what I said and when I called you on it you're unprepared and to go skirting around the issue. I'm laughing at your haste reply here considering you have no grounds whatsoever. Keep digging up on this matter tho. Your foolishness is entertaining me.

Zebra3 wrote:
    But could Wales or Slovakia get a result against the CR.....
    Without a doubt. The Czechs were lucky to beat Wales at home. In fact they were lucky to win tonight and get a point in Lansdowne aswell. :mad:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,983 ✭✭✭leninbenjamin

It's possible but not probable. We would definitly have to beat the Czech republic. i basically think we would need 4 wins out of the next 5 games. I think the loss to cyprus will really costs in the final standings, as will failing to beat czech republic when they were there for the taking. Still, if results go our way... i havn't given up hope yet (although it would be something of a miracle if we do qualify)!

Pigman II wrote:
    And throwing all your toys out the pram trying to pre-emptively call full-time on a discussion like you're doing now is .....

You've made a made a mistake on what I said and when I called you on it you're unprepared and to go skirting around the issue. I'm laughing at your haste reply here considering you have no grounds whatsoever. Keep digging up on this matter tho. Your foolishness is entertaining me.

What the hell is going on. Get off Pigman II's account you big dirty imposter. The Pigman II we all know and love, while being undoubtedly over negative, has a high degree of intellect.

Read the last few posts and explain to me where I was unprepared and started to skirt around the issue? The point where I said Checkmate was a beautiful moment and if you're being honest you said to yourself

"Pighead you fcuker, you've got me by the short and curlies here" but instead of holding your hands up you came out with some pathetic backtracking along the lines of "Key difference being merely winning a game and qualifying for a tournament"

The key post in our verbal battle was post number 23. You can't deny it Pigman II.

And another thing! On the one hand you chide me for calling a halt to the discussion and in the very next breath you sneer at me continually digging up on this matter! Lose Lose situation for me there!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 30,404 ✭✭✭✭Ghost Train

germany losing to denmark is a good sign, plus they only got a draw against cyprus, still a long way to go and plenty of time for any of the teams to screw up along the way

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,835 ✭✭✭StickyMcGinty

eolhc, we'll be needin the germans in top form if we're gonna qualify

the way it looks to me now is that its still a massive hill to climb. 4 points en-tour in europe from 2 tough games is a tall order to get in any scenario.

i reckon we'll be relying on wales/cyprus picking up points of the slovaks and Czechs no matter how we do against them.

if we qualify for the euro's it'll be one of the greatest achievements in our history.....

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 20,617 ✭✭✭✭PHB

It's all about belief. I think we have it in us to beat Germany at home and the Czechs away, but I think the latter is more likely.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 22,868 Mod ✭✭✭✭Bounty Hunter

so were back in our old position prehaps thriving as underdogs in a group made out to be full of big teams when its not really.maybe.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,044 ✭✭✭Andrew 83

Definitely a chance but a lot of work to do. It's a big ask.

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 12,294 Mod ✭✭✭✭Kingp35

We have a small chance but we need 4 points from the next two games or its all over. I still think the loss to Cyprus will be the deciding factor of us not going through.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 2,584 ✭✭✭shane86

:confused:

I am pretty sure no one thought that, because it wasnt actually mathematically impossible.

Yid be suprised. People said we could not and would not qualify as early as the Holland match. If every other team plays out nearly as badly as you, a team can qualify with a few wretched draws and narrow wins. England usually manages to stumble its way to the last 16 or even 4 of any tournament along these lines.

I personally think we've the best set of players we've had since Charlton's days.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,225 ✭✭✭Chardee MacDennis

my 2 cents - if we perform like we did last night for the first half - get a few kinks ironed out i dont see why not... typical irish group, most teams will slip up and leave it in our own hands to qualify.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,846 ✭✭✭✭Nalz

The only chance we have of qualifying is if we beat Germany and Cyprus at home, beat Wales away and not lose against the Slovaks and the Czechs.

very very very very very svery very slim chance

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,983 ✭✭✭leninbenjamin

eirebhoy wrote:
    I personally think we've the best set of players we've had since Charlton's days.

i'm beginning to think along those lines too, although they need more experience.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,126 ✭✭✭✭loyatemu

yet again - table with San Marino removed:

1.Germany P4 - 10 pts
    2.Czech Republic P4 - 10 pts
    3.Slovakia P5 - 9 Pts
    4.Ireland P5 - 7 pts
    5.Cyprus P6 - 4pts
    6.Wales P4 - 3 pts

we have to go to Czech, Wales, Slovakia and play germany at home. I don't fancy our chances.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 36,407 ✭✭✭✭LuckyLloyd

eirebhoy wrote:

I strongly disagree. The team that qualified for the 2002 World Cup was muchh stronger than the current team. We can agree to disagree on this, or we can get into specifics on why I believe that to be the case. :)

LuckyLloyd wrote:
    I strongly disagree. The team that qualified for the 2002 World Cup was muchh stronger than the current team. We can agree to disagree on this, or we can get into specifics on why I believe that to be the case. :)
    I'm talking individual players. Most of that team wouldn't make our current team. They did have Roy Keane though. :)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,139 ✭✭✭flanzer

LuckyLloyd wrote:

I agree too. I think what we have now is more players to choose from. IFRC Jack Charlton 22 man squad was almost identical every time he named it. Staunton has way more players knocking on the squad than Chartlon ever had i.e leaving out Connolly, Miller for example, the 2 Reids still have to come back also

The squad in Saipan was definitely stronger

flanzer wrote:
    The squad in Saipan was definitely stronger
    Seriously?

Given
    Kelly Breen Staunton Harte
    McAteer Holland Kinsella Kilbane
    Duff Keane

Kelly, Breen, Harte, McAteer, Holland, Kinsella and Kilbane wouldn't get into our current best team imo. The others still play for us, except Stan.

The Japan/Korea 2002 squad was IMO the best so far (I can't remember Irish squads farther back than that :p). There were a lot of players at their peak - Matty Holland was playing well, Duffer was at his best, Even Robbie Keane was playing well. With Roy they could well have reached the final.

Anyway thats neither here nor there, the Irish squad of present has plenty of potential. With Steven and Andy Reid coming back, the Sunderland trio of Connolly, Murphy and Miller plus the likes of O'Dea, McGeedy and Stokes maturing a bit.....come September things might actually be looking pretty good. The Dunne/McShane partnership is very promising as well.

It'd give ya hope :)

But then Stan and his tactical prowess......:eek:

eirebhoy wrote:
    Kelly, Breen, Harte, McAteer, Holland, Kinsella and Kilbane wouldn't get into our current best team imo. The others still play for us, except Stan.

Didn't Inter supposedly want Breen on a bosman after his world cup performance (remember the goal he scored against the mighty Saudis) :D

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 12,294 Mod ✭✭✭✭Kingp35

cson wrote:
    the Sunderland trio of Connolly, Murphy and Miller

None of those three are good enough to be in the squad imo

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 18,625 ✭✭✭✭BaZmO*

I refuse to give up hope. We have a slim chance but anything is possible in football.

I think 3 games will decide it for us. Wales-v-Czechs, and then our 2 away games in September.

Germany should walk their next 3 games against San Marino, Slovakia and Wales so that should put them on 22 points before we even play our 2 games in Slovakia.
    So hopefully when we meet them in Croke Park they might not be that up for the game but that really depends on the 3 games that the Czechs have before that cos if we get the results against them Germany wil definitely through.

cson wrote:
    The Japan/Korea 2002 squad was IMO the best so far (I can't remember Irish squads farther back than that ). There were a lot of players at their peak - Matty Holland was playing well, Duffer was at his best, Even Robbie Keane was playing well. With Roy they could well have reached the final.
    Matty who?

Matty Who scored the equaliser for us against Cameroon in 2002 and for the most part served the Irish team well.

• Advertisement
Advertisement