Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

n00b question me thinks?

Options
  • 28-03-2007 10:29pm
    Registered Users Posts: 5,728 ✭✭✭

I bought a few parts for my new pc... I bought power supply, case and vista I wanted to test 3v cards...

Right so all came today and was wondering

I bought an antec 900 and ocz 700 watt psu now when I hook up the parts from the power suppy to the fans should they come one when I turn on the psu?

I tried earlier to see how loud it was and nothing worked... I can hear noises coming from psu but nothings coming on at all :confused:

Anyway I can do this or do I need my motherboard?

Network with your people: https://www.builtinireland.ie/

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 11,504 ✭✭✭✭DirkVoodoo

Generally you run case fans off the PSU 12V rail directly via the molex. GFX and CPU fans run off the motherboard.

I've never tried running fans off the PSU without the other components (MoBo, CPU) installed so I can't comment.

If i were to guess, then by your supposition my fans should keep running when I turn my PC is off, provided they are hooked up to a PSU which is in turn hooked up to the mains. :)

Seeing as my fans switch off when the PC turns off, i assume there is some switch in the PSU that requires current to flow through the main ATX 12V connecter before any other connectors.

Just a guess, google for more accurate explanation ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 5,728 ✭✭✭dazftw

Yea I asked a friend.. he told me I need the motherboard!

Thanks for the reply anyways... yes google is your best friend!

Network with your people: https://www.builtinireland.ie/

Advertisement