Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

If there was an all ireland team, who would you pick???

• 28-03-2007 10:32pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,485 ✭✭✭

So first thread I've actually started here in soccer , i think. My question is , if there was a Irish soccer team (no division between north and south) Who would your team be, or who would be your first names down on the team sheet???

Personally I wouldnt know who would be the best team like out of the choice of players, but first names I'd stick down are Given, Duff, Healy, Keane & Doyle on bench (unless playin 3 up front). Can't say I know much of the rest of the NI squad even though I am up north, watch republic more :p

Maybe have Johnson or Gillespie on right side of midfield, thats bout all I can think of :rolleyes:

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,800 ✭✭✭county

healy and given no question

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,480 ✭✭✭✭cson

Well bar David Healy, there is no Norn Iron player better in his position than any of the Irish team. It'd add more strength in depth but in terms of first team players......very little.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 19,341 ✭✭✭✭Chucky the tree

Just given. The rest of the northern ireland players are doing alot better then us. So they should all be starting.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 720 ✭✭✭3greenrizla's

Laurie Sanchez :D

& Chris Baird coz he is a Saint

• Closed Accounts Posts: 88,972 ✭✭✭✭mike65

Only Healey would be a clear option and thats after Doyle/Keane. Clearly Laurie to be manager.

Mike.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 14,013 ✭✭✭✭eirebhoy

I can't say I even know who plays for Northern Ireland. Healy isn't even good enough for Leeds. He's excellent for them because their game revolves around him and the confidence he has makes him look world class.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,800 ✭✭✭county

Just given. The rest of the northern ireland players are doing alot better then us. So they should all be starting.
    too true,there in cracking form atm

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,485 ✭✭✭Berns

Laurie Sanchez :D

Good call :D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,987 ✭✭✭✭zAbbo

Steven Davis (ginger lad from Aston Villa)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 15,552 ✭✭✭✭GuanYin

Best combined team imho:

Given

Finnan - Dunne - McShane - O'Shea

S.Reid - Ireland - Carsley - Duff

Doyle- Keane

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 36,407 ✭✭✭✭LuckyLloyd

psi wrote:
    Best combined team imho:

Given

Finnan - Dunne - McShane - O'Shea

S.Reid - Ireland - Carsley - Duff

Doyle- Keane

lol. Agree. Healy's form for Northern Ireland is at odds with most of his career at club level. He would add options though, as would Davis. After that, not a lot tbf.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 20,617 ✭✭✭✭PHB

Evans is better than McShane

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 46,424 ✭✭✭✭Mitch Connor

PHB wrote:
    he plays left back for nother ireland though, would put him ni ahead of O'Shea!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 20,617 ✭✭✭✭PHB

He is playing left back for the north? Weird. He plays CB for Sunderland, and he is playing incredibly well. The guy is looking like could be a great player

Nobody's better than McShane at this moment in time!:D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,126 ✭✭✭✭loyatemu

Healy ahead of Doyle - you can't argue with his international goalscoring record, his 2 last night were both excellent. It'd be a nice choice to have.

loyatemu wrote:
    Healy ahead of Doyle - you can't argue with his international goalscoring record, his 2 last night were both excellent. It'd be a nice choice to have.
    Do you think Healy would even be half as good in a team where he's not the star man? :)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,846 ✭✭✭✭Nalz

Given
    Finnan---Dunne---McShane---OShea
    Carsley

A.Reid
    S.Reid
    ----Keane
    Duff----
    Doyle

Subs: Taylor, Evans, O Dea, Ireland, Miller, Hunt, Healy, Conolly

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,010 ✭✭✭besty

PHB wrote:
    Spot on, although Mc Shane has stepped up to the plate every time he's represented Ireland to date. 2 from the Manchester United ranks.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,818 ✭✭✭Bateman

Doyle is clearly a better player than either Robbie Keane or Healy, so would have to be in the starting lineup.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 460 ✭✭dcarroll

i think lafferty would be a good option from the bench might offer something different

• Closed Accounts Posts: 15,552 ✭✭✭✭GuanYin

I'd name a LOI player to cause controversy, but I don't know any ;)

Hides from the wrath of kdjacl

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,056 ✭✭✭applehunter

Roy O'Donovan looking the hottest ticket in town.:cool:

Watch out Robbie and Doyler!:)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 20,346 ✭✭✭✭KdjaCL

St Patrick's Athletic: Ryan, Brennan, Frost, C Foley, Fahey (Maguire 70), Kirby, )'Neill , M Quigley, Murphy (Mulcahy 18), Ndo, Paisley

Any one of those Psi would do the job even Ndo be an irish Citizen soon and if Clinton bleedin Morrison can be irish so can Ndo!!!!.
    Roy O'Donovan looking the hottest ticket in town.

Hull is a city now.

kdjac

Hull are at the back of the queue at this stage I'd say.

Pity we haven't him tied to a longer contract. interesting what will happen. Will we cash in out chips in July or wait till November hopefully in contention for Silverware.

Hull are at the back of the queue at this stage I'd say.

Pity we haven't him tied to a longer contract. interesting what will happen. Will we cash in out chips in July or wait till November hopefully in contention for Silverware.

Didnt read todays Mirror ? He has a column in it every friday. When you sell you replace with better im Cork will. Oddly the minute he sets foot on English soil to signa contract hes instantly good enough to play for ireland doesnt even need to play for Hull.

kdjac

His column talked about
      Dublin bias for underage players - echoing His namesake
      Defending his namesake over the Shay given comments
    • Says that Setanta should invite Scottish clubs in before the competition turns stale

His column talked about
      Dublin bias for underage players - echoing His namesake
      Defending his namesake over the Shay given comments
    • Says that Setanta should invite Scottish clubs in before the competition turns stale

wtf did you miss the 1st paragraph? The one about Hull City and their interest in him and how he is contracted to Cork and if they sell him he will acccept it but hes out of contract in november and wants to further his ambitions :confused:

It was the perfect footballers answer to being sold in the near future.

kdjac

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,518 ✭✭✭matrim

The only player from NI that I think would automatically start for ROI is Davis, he's better than any central midfielder that we currently have.
    But it would be nice to have Healy on the bench to come into games and Taylor if Given is injured. It would also be nice to have Hughes, he's not the best right back but would be a good backup player.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,080 ✭✭✭TonyD79

ye fergie seems to rate Evans fairly highly but will he get a chance at united? both Evans and McShane looked impressive in preseason games i saw them play for united,hopefully fergie gets ride of Silvestre in the summer and Evans or Pique can make bench atleast. Otherwise Evans on loan to Sunderland playing in the Premership. Other than Evans I cant think of anyone else,just shows you why their ranked ahead of us -Laurie Sanchez!
    Do you think if we sacked staunton we could poach him??!!!

• Moderators, Regional North East Moderators Posts: 12,739 Mod ✭✭✭✭cournioni

1. Mary Harney
    2. Martin McGuinness
    3. David Trimble
    4. Michael McDowell
    5. Mark Durkin
    6. Enda Kenny
    7. Bertie Ahern (c)
    8. Reg Empey
    9. Gerry Adams
    10. Ian Paisley
    11. Pat Rabbitte