Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Recommend a dinner....

• 28-03-2007 10:45pm
    Registered Users Posts: 2,799 ✭✭✭

So far I can make; carbonara, spaghetti bolongése, beef stroganoff and stir fry. Recommend a tried and trusted recipe so we can turn 4 into 5! Tesco weekly shop tomorrow! :D

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16,165 ✭✭✭✭brianthebard

Um, prawn noodles? boiled noodles, prawns fried in chow mein sauce stuff, spring onions, peanuts (chopped both) and optional veg of choice. Everything goes in pan, give the prawns a few mins on their own first with the sauce. Dunnes have frozen king prawns half price atm.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,799 ✭✭✭runswithascript

Only ever had prawns for the first time from the takeaway.

Genius.

Stir fry tomorrow night so I'll let you know how i get on with the prawns whenever i make 'em.

Thanks!

Can we make the sauce or is that excessive?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16,165 ✭✭✭✭brianthebard

If you know how to, I just pick up a packet in the sauces aisle, there's plenty to choose from so you can decide the flavours yourself, although I usually get chow mein. Are you a student? If so I encourage you to do as little work as possible! if not, the same advice!

I am a student but I'm prepared to put the work in, I feel guilty about using packets/sauces!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,139 ✭✭✭olaola

Lasagne? It is similar to spagetti - just make the bechmel sauce and get some pasta sheets.

You doin your CCNA in May? :)

• Registered Users Posts: 312 ✭✭Lynfo

Roast chicken - dead easy and so very very tasty. It also apparently has a 'calming effect' the smell of roast chicken is to die for!
    Just sprinkle some oil & stock cubes on, or mix lemon juice, oil and herbs togther and brush all over the chicken.
    Don't wash the chicken whatever you do as it just spreads germs, and don't forget to take the giblets out! Also, if you slice a lemon and stuff it into the chicken cavity, it makes lovely juices for gravy.
    Cook it at about 180° for 20 mins per lb, plus an extra 20 mins - if you're unsure, just stick a skewer into it and if the juices run clear - it's done.
    Throw on some spuds and mushy peas and you've got a lovely easy dinner.
    I know what I'm having for dinner tonight now!

Good sauce for prawns is: ketchup, mayo & mustard mixed together - easy on the mustard though!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 372 ✭✭catspring

chicken kebabs (serves 2)
    you need wooden skewers, soaked in water for a few hours to stop them burning.
    cut 2-3 boneless/skinless chicken fillets into 1 inch-ish chunks. put in a bowl and add (now this changes from one time to the next) a tablespoon of ketchup, soy sauce, cajun spice/chinese 5 spice, sweet chilli sauce. to be honest it doesn't really matter (within reason) what goes into the marinade. i've been known to add peanut butter, oyster sauce, fajita mix powder, lemon juice, garlic, worscester sauce. i've tried a few different variations and they've always turned out well.
    so, marinate the chicken for anywhere from 1-12 hours in a bowl in a fridge.
    then spear onto the skewers, alternating chicken with veg of your choice, chopped in to 1 inch pieces too. i usually use 1 red pepper, half a courgette, a few shallots or a red onion, and a few button mushooms.
    grill kebabs for about 12mins turning a few times to ensure they're evenly cooked.
    serve with pasta or just salad, or both

although this can take a bit of time to prepare it is easy and very tasty

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,443 ✭✭✭✭bonkey

Shepherds / cottage pie?
    Curry?
    Red cooked beef with tomatoes?
    Goulash?
    Sweet & Sour?

Simple tip if you're starting off and want inspiration...go look at some packets/jars that sound like something you'd like to try, then find out how to do it without the packets/jars.

olaola wrote:
    Lasagne? It is similar to spagetti - just make the bechmel sauce and get some pasta sheets.

My mother used to make that for us, and I never thought of making it before because I'm usually cooking for one but I guess I could pick up a small.. uhm.. over dish and Iguess I could freeze the left over lasange until later on in the week. Also I'd have to make garlic bread etc but man I love the garlic!

yup :D
    Lynfo wrote:
    Roast chicken
    bonkey wrote:
    Shepherds / cottage pie?
    Curry?
    Red cooked beef with tomatoes?
    Goulash?
    Sweet & Sour?

Is on teh list! Thanks, alot to work with there. When I come to each individual entry I'll google and ask for opinion here. Also, I haven't had my breakfast yet and reading this thread is almost teh painful :D

• Advertisement

dusf wrote:
    My mother used to make that for us, and I never thought of making it before because I'm usually cooking for one but I guess I could pick up a small.. uhm.. over dish and Iguess I could freeze the left over lasange until later on in the week. Also I'd have to make garlic bread etc but man I love the garlic!

yup :D

Leftover lasagne tastes better than fresh stuff. One of the only dishes that lends itself really well to re-heating. And it freezes well too.

I'm on the way to my CCIP, don't think I'll go for CCIE though!

olaola wrote:
    Leftover lasagne tastes better than fresh stuff. One of the only dishes that lends itself really well to re-heating. And it freezes well too.

My sister tells me that about bolongese and since there are alot of similiarities in them I'm sure you're right!
    I'm on the way to my CCIP, don't think I'll go for CCIE though!

Live Cisco, Eat Cisco, Sleep Cisco - CCIE are the elite and they're incredibly well paid.

olaola wrote:
    I think we're going a little off topic here!

Yup, PM you later.

Curry also tastes great the next day.
    I make it with Pataks paste + a can of tomatoes.
    Add anything you like after that - chicken, prawns, veggies.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 905 ✭✭✭Ay Cee

Same with Chilli, much nicer the next day.

Advertisement