Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Wind turbine for WIT - is this for real?

• 28-03-2007 11:09pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,081 ✭✭✭

Tonight's News & Star is an interesting read. Apparently there are plans to put a wind turbine on the grounds of WIT to generate electricity for the campus. Naturally, residents are objecting, and on this occasion I'd agree with them.

The date on the newspaper is 30 March, but I'm thinking it should read April 1. Is this a wind-up or has Brendan McCann finally taken over the asylum?

The article mentions that there is such a turbine in Dundalk IT. Anyone seen it?

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,778 ✭✭✭✭JPA

It's in the Waterford Today as well. I think it's a great idea and I would be in favour of it. In saying that I don't live near the WIT and I won't be attending there next year either (hopefully!).

The Waterford Today says it will power the entire campus and any excess power will be diverted to the National Grid. It's a good idea but perhaps a little impractical. Better suited to the Carrignore campus probably. I know I'm completely contradicting myself but I'm in favour of any company or area using alternative energy sources.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,620 ✭✭✭Roen

Heard it on the radio too a few days ago, the figures mentioned were the turbine being 77m high with the blades being up to 44m long. That'd be pretty bloody huge.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,272 ✭✭✭merlante

But why would someone want to object to it, provided the noise wasn't an issue. Eco-friendly windmills surely give people that feeling of not wrecking a piece of the environment every time they boil a kettle. :)

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators, Regional South East Moderators Posts: 28,500 Mod ✭✭✭✭Cabaal

fricatus wrote:
    The article mentions that there is such a turbine in Dundalk IT. Anyone seen it?

nope but google is your friend
    http://www.credit.ie/turbine.htm

to be honest, it looks pretty nice in Dundalk IT grounds but then it is ALOT more open then the WIT campus on Cork Road

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,620 ✭✭✭Roen

Would the Carriganore campus not be a better site for this and then pipe the leccy down to the college? 120 acres of woodland along the river seems ideal as the turbines themselves don't have a very big footprint.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators, Regional South East Moderators Posts: 28,500 Mod ✭✭✭✭Cabaal

merlante wrote:
    But why would someone want to object to it, provided the noise wasn't an issue. Eco-friendly windmills surely give people that feeling of not wrecking a piece of the environment every time they boil a kettle. :)

Yes their eco friendly and I'm all for it, but they generate alot of noise and as such their not suitable for a residential area

Perhaps alot of solar panels and mini turbines on the roofs would be more suitable?

Cabaal wrote:
    Yes their eco friendly and I'm all for it, but they generate alot of noise and as such their not suitable for a residential area

Perhaps alot of solar panels and mini turbines on the roofs would be more suitable?

Umm... I said provided noise was not an issue!

Do you know that it would make a lot of noise or are you just speculating?

merlante wrote:
    Umm... I said provided noise was not an issue!

Do you know that it would make a lot of noise or are you just speculating?

I'm pretty sure they actually make a fair bit of noise, now it could be made alot worse if theirs lots of them.

I've read up on wind turbines in the past but can't remember exactly what the db level is. not ideal for a residential area imho anyway

• Closed Accounts Posts: 257 ✭✭mad man

I have to say I could not see this going ahead. Caraginore would be better suited but I would imagine there would be transmission problems from there to the main campus.I would not be surprised if Brendan McCann objected to it and I am being serious here.Also there are many people including those within the environmental lobby who oppose wind turbines not only because of the noise generated but also because of damage to ecosystems believe it or not.I personally would be in favour of it if it did not demand so much of a land footprint that would cause the loss of another school or expansion.Also Dundalk IT's turbine and campus seems to be in an areas that is bordering on rural.WIT is in a very densely poulated area.

There seems to be more voices opposing turbines and bio-fuels lately.The reason for bio-fuel opposition seems to stem from the fact that the main source of bio-fuel seems to come from Indonesia where they are clearing rain forests to grow the necessary crops.In any case there could be a dillema for Brendan McCann in the pipeline i.e a case of damned if he does and damned if he don't.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,081 ✭✭✭fricatus

Sure, wind turbines don't give off CO2 emissions in the production of energy, but the effect on the environment is terrible.

I was driving to Donegal from Cavan one day and stopped outside a wind farm near Fintona in Co Tyrone. My initial reaction was to pull over because it was so cool - I'd never seen one before - but before long I was turned off the idea big time. There was this continuous ghostly low hum off then and they dominated an otherwise desolate and beautiful part of the Sperrins (I think). I can't imagine taking a picnic up there. Who wants to do that to our countryside?

I heard some environmentalist or other on the radio once arguing that in a certain way, wind turbines were "beautiful". Would he say the same about a development of bungalows?

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 6,679 ✭✭✭Freddie59

fricatus wrote:
    The date on the newspaper is 30 March, but I'm thinking it should read April 1.

I think that just about covers it.:)

fricatus wrote:
    Sure, wind turbines don't give off CO2 emissions in the production of energy, but the effect on the environment is terrible.

I was driving to Donegal from Cavan one day and stopped outside a wind farm near Fintona in Co Tyrone. My initial reaction was to pull over because it was so cool - I'd never seen one before - but before long I was turned off the idea big time. There was this continuous ghostly low hum off then and they dominated an otherwise desolate and beautiful part of the Sperrins (I think). I can't imagine taking a picnic up there. Who wants to do that to our countryside?

I heard some environmentalist or other on the radio once arguing that in a certain way, wind turbines were "beautiful". Would he say the same about a development of bungalows?

Fair enough, but at the point at which you take oil, gas or coal out of the ground it doesn't look too hot either! But then I suppose it's a case of out of sight out of mind.

You wouldn't even get planning permission for Ard na Crusha these days, what with the Salmon, or whatever, being interfered with. Humans are going to be interfering with something one way or the other.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,778 ✭✭✭✭JPA

Freddie59 wrote:
    I think that just about covers it.:)

Well it's in 2 separate papers so...... unless they were working together.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 257 ✭✭mad man

I don't think this story is an April fools joke.Usually they pitch something outrageous or emotionally charged.For example moving the clock tower to Ferrybank .Or converting Walsh Park GAA grounds to a spice market and immigration centre.Remember a couple of years ago they said the boundary extension was granted as far as Piltown? To which a KK councillor (Dowling I think) replied to the effect "If I ever needed to raise an army I wouldn't be short of volunteers":D When I was a kid the Munster photographed a loch ness type monster in the suir:D

I think this is too feasible (and lame) to be an April fools joke.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,614 ✭✭✭BadCharlie

To construct a wind turbine in the first place does produce a lot of CO2. The amount of concrete they use in the base of the turbine is huge. As you can imagine that its so big you need a lot of weight to keep it in place, hence the use of concrete. And im sure the construction of the turbine would also produce a lot of CO2. If they would use something like EcoCement then i be all for it.

I would almost go for solar panels my self and think lots of people should be using them. If you go around europe you will notice lots of home owners use them. And they do not need clear skys for them to be effective. Even on a cloudy day they are still good, but will not produce as much power as on a clear sky day.

• Moderators, Education Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators, Regional South East Moderators Posts: 24,056 Mod ✭✭✭✭Sully

Where are they planning on placing the turbine? The only open space is at the back car park, where they are planning on putting an underground car park. (Badly needed)

I think it would look out of place in WIT, everything would be to close to it. If they generate noise for residents, imagine what it would be like for students?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,792 ✭✭✭Bards

It has to be a wind up... April fool no doubt....

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,472 ✭✭✭AdMMM

Bards wrote:
    It has to be a wind up... April fool no doubt....
    Take your coat please... :p

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,604 ✭✭✭deisemum

I thought of April Fool's day especially with the story of Ian Paisley throwing in the ball at the start of Waterford's game in Walsh Park on Sunday and the Irish quotes :rolleyes:

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 9,763 Mod ✭✭✭✭ToxicPaddy

I've seen the one in Dundalk and think its a great idea..

It provides about 90% of the colleges requirements during the college term and during the summer they actually sell excess electricity back to the ESB and make money from it..

As far as I know, it cost a few million to build but they reckon within 10 years it will pretty much have covered its costs and all maintenance for that period..

Not bad in my opinion.. and great to see someone getting sense, I doubt it was McCann..

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,724 ✭✭✭Dilbert75

I think its a great idea.

I've stood in the middle of a 20-turbine wind farm and - to be completely honest - I'd be happy to live with the small amount of background noise. Inside double-glazed buildings it wouldn't be a problem, except to maybe the most difficult of neighbour.

From my understanding, the concrete foundations are surprisingly small - and if they used Ecocem, all the better.

• Moderators, Education Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators, Regional South East Moderators Posts: 24,056 Mod ✭✭✭✭Sully

Hi all,

The college had a "stall" regarding this today. So I asked a few questions (not exact quotes, just the general idea);

1. Where is the proposed development for the turbine?
    A. The plan is that it will be developed near the Tourism and Leisure buidling currently under development (completion btw for that is Christmas / January). They are locating it in a spot further away from neighbours.

2. Does the turbine make any noise? Will it not affect students in classes?
    A. No the turbine wont make any sound in the disatance. Obviously if your beside it, it will make very small amount of noise. However, with all the background noise and traffic it will probably be drained out.

Also, DIT has a wind turbine - which is a perfect example - and that does not cause problems.

3. How much will it cost?
    A. Estimated to be just over a million.

4. When does WIT expect to pay the cost back?
    A. In 7-10 years.

5. Has there been any objections/concerns?
    A. We have not submitted planning permission yet, but we annoucned it around Christmas and had an open day about two weeks ago. Obviously some neighbours were concerned so we arranged a day trip (all expenses paid) to DIT to see it in action. Only half a dozen of those came. Those who did came approved the plan, those who did not still have reservations.

6. What about within the college?
    A. It has been approved by college authorities.

7. When will it be built?
    A. We need to place a mast to determine wind speed, trurbalance etc. before we decide on where its going. This will be done in about a year (PP sent in etc).

8. How much energy will it provide?
    A. A half or a quarter. We will still require a connection to the ESB, so if the wind is poor or we dont have enough energy - we will use the power supply from them.

9. How will it blend in with the area?
    A. See from picturers. (I took pics of my mobile, and they showed different views. It doesnt seem to bad in my view - ill post them up later)

Other Comments:
    This is not a commercial development, but a research development from within the Engineering Department. Students will interact with the development and we hope to open a energy facilite on campus for both students and people in the sotuh east who can come to ask question in regards to renewable energy etc. We also hope to be able to offer courses in related projects.

DIT is an example of a college who sucesfully done this.
    ---
    END
    ---

Hope this helps :) I never wrote what she said down, I just took a mental note. What I said above is fairly accurate, but dont hold me to it :P

I also have a FAQ on wind turbines ill scan up later :)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,624 ✭✭✭✭Fajitas!

Wow.

Was sure this was going to be an April Fools.

• Moderators, Regional South East Moderators Posts: 9,039 Mod ✭✭✭✭Aquos76

Some how or another, I dont think Mr McCann will be objecting to this planning application.

Fajitas! wrote:
    Wow.

Ya she said she heard that, but they didnt realise it when they had the opening day :P

Ya, Aquos76, I reffered to him and she just said something along the lines of; we will have to wait and see how the planning permission goes. But, he didnt object within the IT.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,472 ✭✭✭AdMMM

But, he didnt object within the IT.

Of course he wouldn't. He waits until the 11th hour and then lodges his objection.

• Moderators, Regional South East Moderators Posts: 9,039 Mod ✭✭✭✭Aquos76

Of course he wouldn't. He waits until the 11th hour and then lodges his objection.

Yeah, but against his employers this time. I wouldn't be so sure.

If you look at the amount of building work that has gone on out in WIT over the last 5 years or so, he has never once objected to anything. Where as, any development anywhere else throughout the city, big or small, he feels the need to get his oar in.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 29,476 ✭✭✭✭Our man in Havana

But I can see this one going all the way to Bord Pleaneala. The locals will certainly object, it remains to be seen if Mr. McCann will object. If the city grants planning the residents will appeal, if the city denies it WIT will appeal. Either way it won't happen without a fight.

Apparently most residents are in agreement - thats the ones who went to the DIT presentation. Those who didnt are holding out.

• Advertisement

Fajitas! wrote:
    Wow.

Was thinking that myself, while I'm all for the windturbine I'm not happy with the location of it.

Advertisement