Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

EmotiCONS

Options
  • 28-03-2007 11:44pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 18,239 ✭✭✭✭

Why does the saddy face look like an angry face? :( I know it's not as angry as :mad: , but it still looks angry, I think it's the left eyebrow that does it. Oft-times I feel there is no emoticon to describe what I'm feeling ;)
    Post edited by Shield on

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 19,396 ✭✭✭✭Karoma

0119.gif

And so it begins...

• Registered Users Posts: 43,906 ✭✭✭✭Basq

Is there any word more disgusting in the English language than "Emoticon"? Oh wait.. it's not even in the English language!

emoticon_pffft.gif

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 30,657 Mod ✭✭✭✭Faith

I don't like this smilie: :o

I don't feel it conveys embarrassment properly. It looks like a paedophile smily.

/looks around

Wait, I'm in Feedback? I thought I was in AH!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 17,208 ✭✭✭✭aidan_walsh

Faith wrote:
    The line does get so blurred sometimes...

• Registered Users Posts: 43,906 ✭✭✭✭Basq

Death to all smilies to be honest:

angry-smiley-184.gif

.... except this guy:

drink.gif

He sure does love his pints of the black stuff.. legend!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 26,578 ✭✭✭✭Creamy Goodness

any chance of getting :P to display as :p (latter with lowercase :p) and :d as :D (capital d)?

ohh and plus, more simileys*

*had to be done lol

• Registered Users Posts: 22,231 ✭✭✭✭Sparky

[noparse]:D ;):p:o :rolleyes: :) :mad: :( :eek: :confused: :cool: [/noparse]

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16,165 ✭✭✭✭brianthebard

Faith wrote:
    I don't like this smilie: :o

I don't feel it conveys embarrassment properly. It looks like a paedophile smily.

/looks around

"I'm sorry to do this to you, but ah, I'm going to rape you now." :embarassed smiley:

• Registered Users Posts: 5,485 ✭✭✭Thrill

boreds wrote:
    Oft-times I feel there is no emoticon to describe what I'm feeling
    Try words. I hear they are a fairly good way to express your feelings.:D:);):p:o:(:mad::eek:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 36,634 ✭✭✭✭Ruu_Old

Token Mod smiley, can be used after thread lockage or ban. :D

hitler.gif

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 29,130 ✭✭✭✭Karl Hungus

God I miss the Pacman smiley. :v:

• Registered Users Posts: 15,258 ✭✭✭✭Rabies

We need the ninja smiley back again

ninja.gif

• Registered Users Posts: 17,399 ✭✭✭✭r3nu4l

Many people say smilies are for the inarticulate but these people do not fully understand the usefulness of smilies.

They are an excellent communications tool for those who wish to convey a message to those too stupid to interpret the subtleties and nuances of English properly.

As such, it saves a lot of confusion for some people:

"Was he annoyed when he posted that? I think he was, I'm so confused...wait...he's edited his post to include this little guy ':)'. He wasn't annoyed, it was a joke, all is well with my little world"

As such, smilies should be mandatory, if only to help those less intelligent than ourselves! :rolleyes: <-- I hate this one! :mad:..:D

• Registered Users Posts: 23,216 ✭✭✭✭monkeyfudge

God I miss the Pacman smiley. :v:
    And what about the Papa Lazarou one?

• Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 42,362 Mod ✭✭✭✭Beruthiel

r3nu4l wrote:
    They are an excellent communications tool for those who wish to convey a message to those too stupid to interpret the subtleties and nuances of English properly.

Why care about people that stupid?
    Let them wallow in their own idiocy I say, let us care not.

Beruthiel wrote:
    Why care about people that stupid?

But isn't it our duty to reach out to those whose linguistic and intellectual capacities are lesser than ours Grand Sorceress?

Or should we establish a New World Order where glory, honour and right are on our side and where we cast those less able into the fiery pits of doom?

Hmmm, option two does offer a certain charm...no more txt spkrs dat wud B gr8!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 15,914 ✭✭✭✭tbh

Beruthiel wrote:

I vote for that line being the new PI motto.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 29,130 ✭✭✭✭Karl Hungus

And what about the Papa Lazarou one?

Well that was never made an official smiley. :lazarou:

However, I'm glad my creation still lives on in Beruthiel's sig.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,111 ✭✭✭tba

iftherewasanemoticonbyagw2.gif

• Registered Users Posts: 10,255 ✭✭✭✭The_Minister

"I'm sorry to do this to you, but ah, I'm going to rape you now." :embarassed smiley:
    mf_emoticon_rabbits.gif

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 31,967 ✭✭✭✭Sarky

I miss :v: so much it hurts sometimes :'(

• Registered Users Posts: 6,762 ✭✭✭WizZard

:v: emotfoffgo0.gif

• Closed Accounts Posts: 31,967 ✭✭✭✭Sarky

Look at him there, so happy and devil-may-care, such a brave soul, he doesn't even flinch as the oversized hammer mashes him into his component pixels... *salutes*

• Registered Users Posts: 5,112 ✭✭✭Blowfish

r3nu4l wrote:
    As such, smilies should be mandatory, if only to help those less intelligent than ourselves! :rolleyes: <-- I hate this one! :mad:..:D
    Theres nothing like writing a really angry post and ending it with a happy smilie just to confuse stupid people.

Its like a dog barking while wagging its tail, they dont know which end to believe.

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 30,657 Mod ✭✭✭✭Faith

I hate over use of any smily, but this one: :) really annoys me. People say things, and put that smily in to "not offend anyone" but it just comes across as patronising.

Example:

No, you're wrong :). Trust me, I know all about this subject :).

Grr!

• Registered Users Posts: 21,676 ✭✭✭✭smashey

Faith wrote:
    I hate over use of any smily, but this one: :) really annoys me. People say things, and put that smily in to "not offend anyone" but it just comes across as patronising.

Example:

No, you're wrong :). Trust me, I know all about this subject :).

Grr!

No Faith, you're wrong. :)

No emoticons please.

Faith wrote:

Oops, guilty as charged your honour. Although I never mean to be patronising.

/increasing paranoia over emoticon use

• Registered Users Posts: 3,437 ✭✭✭Crucifix

I've always though the boards sad smiley's eyebrows gave him added pathos that other sad smileys lack. I find him almost too sad....just look at him there...it breaks my heart :(

• Registered Users Posts: 995 ✭✭✭sinjin_smythe

hey,, how do you get those emoticons, all i get are tthe crappy standard ones :(

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 18,239 ✭✭✭✭WindSock

weedhead wrote:
    hey,, how do you get those emoticons, all i get are tthe crappy standard ones :(

Yeah. I also would like to use other ones. I shall call them smileycons from now onwards.
    See now Weedhead, I wouldn't know if you are sad or angry about the limited smileycon useage.

Advertisement