Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

favourite commentator

• 29-03-2007 12:05am
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 88 ✭✭

whos your favourite past and present.

Who is your favourite snooker commentator 34 votes

Ted Lowe
    0% 0 votes
    Clive Everton
    5% 2 votes
    Dennis taylor
    20% 7 votes
    John Virgo
    20% 7 votes
    Wille Thorne
    32% 11 votes
    Terry Griffiths
    11% 4 votes
    Anongus mcAnally
    8% 3 votes
    Neale Foulds
    0% 0 votes
    Dominic Dale
    0% 0 votes
    Other
    0% 0 votes

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,206 ✭✭✭gustavo

Cant beat Ted Lowe ! But nowadays I like John Virgo and Clive Everton but to be honest they are all very good.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,454 ✭✭✭cast_iron

Ted Lowe back in his day.

These days, Willie Thorne is probably the most incitful of a pretty decent bunch.

Aongus McAnally....you're having a laugh, no?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,673 ✭✭✭s_carnage

Clive Everton for me

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,854 ✭✭✭zuutroy

s_carnage wrote:
    Clive Everton for me

I used to agree, but listening to him for a long time he can be very repetitious. Every time the guy behind wins a frame, he 'reduces his arrears'. Dennis Taylor is the man. How Virgo ever played the game I'll never know, because from his commentary it seems he hasn't a clue: "He's not hit that hard enough at all, OR HAS HE!" etc.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,601 ✭✭✭Marshy

Willie is very good I think. Calls a spade a spade.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 12,801 ✭✭✭✭Kojak

Clive Everton would get my vote. For some reason I just dont like Willie Thorne's commentry, I dont know why :confused:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,144 ✭✭✭LundiMardi

To be honest, Clive Everton is a given... But Denis Taylor would be my next favourite.

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators, Regional North East Moderators Posts: 10,869 Mod ✭✭✭✭PauloMN

Virgo for me, at this stage his voice is just part and parcel of the televised game IMO. Like the music used to be... :( Why DID they change it?

Anongus mcAnally - I find him terribly annoying - don't know why, I just do.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,987 ✭✭✭Auvers

I must be showing my age but Ted "The Masturbator" Lowe was the best ever. He could even make a Terry Griffths v Cliff Thorburn
    somewhat exciting

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 976 ✭✭✭Glenman

Willie Thorne for me. I think the quality of the BBC commentry is much better than on Eurosport. I love the BBC coverage in general, Hazel is a good presenter and JP & Davis are very good in studio

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 575 ✭✭✭irish147

he knows his way around the table

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14,013 ✭✭✭✭eirebhoy

Taylor.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,105 ✭✭✭hiscan

i voted john virgo but i like dennis taylor as well

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 1,851 Mod ✭✭✭✭Michael Collins

Terry Griffiths is quite good. You can just tell he's serious about his snooker. Plus it's funny the way he gets all nervous when one of the players he coaches is competing...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 667 ✭✭✭aequinoctium

taylor knows his stuff and the accent is 1st class

• Registered Users Posts: 27 ryanah

I looked at the results of the votes so far and I was surprised to see that John Virgo was No. 1
    To me, the best would have been `Whispering` Ted Lowe, but of the present stock of commentators it would have to be without a doubt, Clive Everton. In second place Willie Thorne. His knowledge of the game, far exceeds that of Virgo and Taylor.
    Dennis Taylor, if ever asked who is going to win the match, will ALWAYS hedge his bets, he will never come straight out and say. Weak character.
    Virgo, gives me the impression of a `know all bastard`, watch when a player pot 3 reds and 3 blacks, he starts talking about a maximum. He was always a `has been `, or better still `a never wasser`, his claim to fame came in the 70s /80s when he used to cheap impressions of the then professionals. Only for Jim Davison and the televised snooker programme he presented, Virgo would still be walking around Moss Side in Manchester hustling for a living.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,854 ✭✭✭zuutroy

^^ On the ball apart from Taylor..I think he knows the game better than Thorne.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,454 ✭✭✭cast_iron

zuutroy wrote:
    ^^ On the ball apart from Taylor..I think he knows the game better than Thorne.
    I disagree. Thorne and Foulds have a great knowledge of the table.

My order would be: Lowe, Thorne, Taylor, Foulds, Everton, Griffiths, Virgo.

Advertisement