Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

minimum age for bushy?

Options
  • 29-03-2007 2:02am
    Registered Users Posts: 4,946 ✭✭✭

Skating bushy park is starting to be a big of a drag with all the 8 year old kids imo. I was down there on tuesday and wednesday for the evening and the place was riddled with them. The worst part is the little kids just running around the top of the ramp, not to mention the little kids that litterally just stand in the flat bottom of the ramp and just push off and roll around the bowl for 5 minutes, then kick the board up, look around, then roll around again.

There was a couple of BMXers skating the deep end, and the kid in question was just rolling around. The bmers nearly killed him, but because they were sharp chaps they managed to avoid him. Not to mention the fact that i called teh kid and told him to watch out for the bikes as he might get hit, to which he responded '**** off'.

Its really ruining the sessions having people in the park walking around with no board, bike or skates, just there to free run the park and get in peoples way.

I strongly think that there needs to be a minimum age for the park entry. 14+ only or something because the park really has taken off well. All the genres of sports are mixing well, everyone respects peoples space, everyone gets on. The kids on the otherhand need to be put straight or kicked out. I understand, when i was that age, i had no park, and i would have loved it. Sure they need a place to skate too, but they shouldnt be jumping in the deepend and hoggin the ramp and refusing to get out or give anyone else a go on it.

Am i on my own in saying this?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 311 ✭✭luapenak

ive seen the workers ask kids for there age when ive been in there before. i thougth there was an age limit.
    The thing is that there are a load of kids younger than 14 that are ripping and it would be terrible if they weren't able to use the park.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 129 ✭✭fisheye

Nah red ice, you're right. the thing is that kids will only ever learn the hard way and that usually means them rolling around in pain after getting hit by a skater or BMXer twice their size, weight and age. Having said that, a couple of near misses and stern, well chosen words often does the job instead of an ambulance.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,401 ✭✭✭shortys94

The worst are the kids who try to chase after you with their damn trikes :)

• Registered Users Posts: 2,739 ✭✭✭Jello

Agreed they're very annoying, especially when they're trynna show their mammy's their cool tricks. I think there's a minimum age of 8 or 10 and I have seen one of the parkies kick a few guys out before 'cos they were too young.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,946 ✭✭✭red_ice

Well, at least some sort of screening process - i totally agree with whats being said, there are loads of little rippers in that place. I saw a 10 year old earlier today getting 2 foot of air on a bmx over the flippin spin ramp.

There should be something done about the kids in the place - a membership was put forward in the early stages of the park, and everyone said no to it, but tbh, i think its not a bad idea - so you pay 5 quid for a years membership, which means you get access to the park and that then insures that the people in the park are of mimimum age.

I think we are all agreed that its everyones park, but at the same time without being selfish, we have to turn down the kids that dont know how to skate the park or have a clue about personal safety.

Fisheye - i think my words were pritty well chosen and fair. the next step in talking to that kid would have been going in and holding his hand.

No board, no blades, no bike no entry. That sounds fair to me. Bring in the age thing aswell.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,391 ✭✭✭jozi

red_ice wrote:
    No board, no blades, no bike no entry.
    There isnt a sign saying that?!

I was there quite awhile ago and there was some 5yr old kid on some weird 3 wheeled yoke flying around (not in the bowls) with mammy and daddy looking on.

Some older kid (no less than 17) was getting himself into some trouble by moving out in front of people and taking up the bowls, one of the bmxers had a strong word with him which quieted the chap down at least.

Kids just need to be taught the disiplin of waiting and letting people go before them allong with how to skate with others. Maybe there should be some induction for young kids showing up for the 1st time :P

• Closed Accounts Posts: 149 ✭✭JahEerie

I feel your pain Red Ice
    Problem is this:

If ya want some sorta 'control' ya have to have supervision.
    The council aren't gonna pay for this (currently the wardens come & go)
    On 1 side ya have this problem with little muppets gettin in the way - on the other ya have 'big boys' refusin to wear helmets.

Personlly I think the fewer rules the better - as long as WE (the skater/bikers) 'police' the place ourselves.
    If ya see anybody on a tricycle/scooter or other toy, give me the boot.
    Bushy is for skateboards, BMX bikes (NOT MOUNTAIN BIKES) & inline.
    Anybody runnin around da place needs to get shown da door too.
    Its a SKATEPARK, not a creche.

Its a pain havin to order kids around, but sometimes it has to be done.
    When ya se a kid bein a twat, tell him nicely - most of em just don't know the 'rules'. If he tells ya to F*** off, smack da lil prick
    (If his Mammy/Daddy haven't put manners on em, somebody needs to???)

Basically WE are the ones who need to keep everythin cool.
    When Greystones opens (next few weeks) Bushy will be quieter.
    Everybody was a grom once, but some of da kids in Bushy really need a slap.
    Its better if we don't resort to that, so try to advise em 1st.

Bottom line, most people (young or old) know whats up.
    Everybody deserves a turn, but if someone is takin da piss let em know
    - I do :D

See ya in da deep end

JohnBoy

• Closed Accounts Posts: 149 ✭✭JahEerie

For any younguns out there
    - there are Skateboarding lessons run by the council.

They're just for the real basics: Droppin-in, pumpin, kick-turns, grinds, etc.
    If ya want to do 'em contact Sean Redmond at Dublin City Council
    - 01 2223435

The lessons are free, but ya need to sign up in advance.
    The minimum age is 8 years old, and helmets & pads required.

Cheers,

JohnBoy

• Registered Users Posts: 925 ✭✭✭wideangle

I saw what ye are talking about first hand last Sunday when we went up for the day.There were very few people wearing helmets and a lot of kids around the place who were'nt there to actually skate or ride the park.Spectators should only spectate from the other side of the fence,and no kids under ten,Tramore has this rule and they still get in!!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 607 ✭✭✭Kenjd

Simple answer....bail and send bike or board their direction!!! :D:D:D
    Imagine the crunch!!! It'd be funny for a while until some Mum or Dad (or which I am one) sues the b1tches in town halls and they close the place!
    Parents are sh1te these days! They dont want to be too hard on their little daaarlings in case they are seen in some unfavourable light by other people! f*ckin idiots!
    Was in Greystones the other day for the opening and there were two 4 year olds climbing up and down the ramps whilst their parents sat about 20meteres away...whilst boards and bikes flew past their tiny soft craniums....:D :D
    The parents in question where told and didnt seem that bit interested, they did move them though! Rant over!! No its not...as for that little kid in bushy on the tric...bring it on man; bring it on!! haha

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,397 ✭✭✭Evolute

red_ice wrote:
    Skating bushy park is starting to be a big of a drag with all the 8 year old kids imo. I was down there on tuesday and wednesday for the evening and the place was riddled with them. The worst part is the little kids just running around the top of the ramp, not to mention the little kids that litterally just stand in the flat bottom of the ramp and just push off and roll around the bowl for 5 minutes, then kick the board up, look around, then roll around again.

There was a couple of BMXers skating the deep end, and the kid in question was just rolling around. The bmers nearly killed him, but because they were sharp chaps they managed to avoid him. Not to mention the fact that i called teh kid and told him to watch out for the bikes as he might get hit, to which he responded '**** off'.

Its really ruining the sessions having people in the park walking around with no board, bike or skates, just there to free run the park and get in peoples way.

I strongly think that there needs to be a minimum age for the park entry. 14+ only or something because the park really has taken off well. All the genres of sports are mixing well, everyone respects peoples space, everyone gets on. The kids on the otherhand need to be put straight or kicked out. I understand, when i was that age, i had no park, and i would have loved it. Sure they need a place to skate too, but they shouldnt be jumping in the deepend and hoggin the ramp and refusing to get out or give anyone else a go on it.

Dude you cant bag on all people under 14 ive seen some 12 year olds completely owning in numerous parks but people with no boards shouldnt be allowed to go into parks and to be honest i think people should be checked that they have their own board and all that before there even able to get into the park.

And as far as no Inline skating why not its still a sport that requires a skatepark to use

Although you do have an arguement because i saw a kid of about 5 with a board that must have been made out of really old chip board or something the kid couldnt even go down the hill fair balls to his father he was saying either do it or we leave and he was telling him to cop on and let everyone go a full round before he went again and i saw numerous people nearly hurt themselves badly trying to avoid him while he was sitting on the board.

But tbh you cant really put age limits on a public skatepark or else it isnt really a public skatepark btu true as you said kids hoggin ramps should get a serious slap on the wrists or else they will keep doing it until some body actually hits them and tells them to get out. Then you have problems. So i guess im on your side and then im not.

Lol sorry this post was tipping the line on both sides:p

The only kids I like are my own! ;)

Some of the kids in Bushy are little sh1t heads. I've had to hold back on saying stuff to some of them.

• Registered Users Posts: 200 ✭✭darkslider

I've minced a couple of kids in Ramp City in my time. One was sitting at the bottom of the volcano ramp and I didn't see him till I was in the air about to come down that side of the ramp. Of course he sits there lookin at me with his mouth open. Needless to say a 24yr old (at the time.. couple of years back now) hitting what might have been a 9 year old..... no contest. I flattened the poor guy. Had to pick him up and carry him out of the park.
    The mother, who wasn't that much older than myself started to tear strips off me when she arrived. So I let her have it, telling her she was a brutal parent and was using the park like a babysitting service while she went off to have her nails done - that shut her up.

I've also had kids come up to me and ask me to sign their consent forms for the park :eek: - You must be F***** joking! Not a chance!

I've not skated bushy before but I'm sure it's treated as much as a creche as most of the other skate parks are. Parents fobbing their kids off for the day and expecting other people to watch them and then sueing when the child suffers an injury.

darkslider wrote:
    I've minced a couple of kids in Ramp City in my time. One was sitting at the bottom of the volcano ramp and I didn't see him till I was in the air about to come down that side of the ramp. Of course he sits there lookin at me with his mouth open. Needless to say a 24yr old (at the time.. couple of years back now) hitting what might have been a 9 year old..... no contest. I flattened the poor guy. Had to pick him up and carry him out of the park.
    The mother, who wasn't that much older than myself started to tear strips off me when she arrived. So I let her have it, telling her she was a brutal parent and was using the park like a babysitting service while she went off to have her nails done - that shut her up.

I've also had kids come up to me and ask me to sign their consent forms for the park :eek: - You must be F***** joking! Not a chance!

I've not skated bushy before but I'm sure it's treated as much as a creche as most of the other skate parks are. Parents fobbing their kids off for the day and expecting other people to watch them and then sueing when the child suffers an injury.

The funny thing about those parents is you just have to laugh at them and say dont use the place as a creche and if they eat the head off ya.

Just give it as good as they have and then if they try to do anything about it well tell them that there bad parents for not telling their kids to be careful and makin sure the kids are actually following the rules

darkslider wrote:

The funny thing about those parents is you just have to laugh at them and say dont use the place as a creche and if they eat the head off ya.

Just give it as good as they have and then if they try to do anything about it well tell them that there bad parents for not telling their kids to be careful and makin sure the kids are actually following the rules

darkslider wrote:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 19 blader dude

red_ice wrote:

NO I HATE IT JUS AS MUCH AS U

sorry bout the triple post was on a really slow pc :(

• Closed Accounts Posts: 104 ✭✭Beks

That park is a death trap! You really have to look out for kids everywhere, not only stupid little ones but ones that can actually skate/ride well. But that's just the way it's gonna be. In my opinion it's too small an area for what it is, so you're going to have problems with kids getting in your way.

If you're that concerned about it just go at a really quiet time (not much chance of that over summer though!) or just go ride street.

early mornings and mid week are the best i think!

• Advertisement
Advertisement