Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Broadband o2,digiweb,anything?

Options
  • 29-03-2007 2:16am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 1,407 ✭✭✭

Just wondering has anyone heard when o2 are supposed to release there usb modem,and whats the latest on digiweb and broadband in general. Anything new in the pipeline for the likes of me who's only choice's and trust me I've looked are dial up and satellite please say some miracle is around the corner I think I may be starting to suffer from dialup madness the beeping and brrring haunts me.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,354 ✭✭✭smellslikeshoes

I honestly wouldn't count on o2 to provide you with internet because they have done nothing but talk about launching mobile broadband for a year at this stage.
    I would get Vodafone or 3's mobile broadband over dialup, even if your out of a higher speed area you will get always on with dialup speeds.
    There is plenty of things in the pipeline for digiweb but like most things in this country it takes time so I wouldn't wait around for them.

• Registered Users Posts: 994 ✭✭✭JNive

Im currently involved in testing the USB modem for O2s 3G service. Its due for launch in July, with a datacard option also in the near future.
    However so far there is still an issue with the USB modem on Vista which results in reduced speeds.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 247 ✭✭wirelessdude

JNive wrote:
    Im currently involved in testing the USB modem for O2s 3G service. Its the Huawei E220 ( same as Vodafone ) and is due for launch on July 1st, with a datacard option aimed at October.

However so far there is still an issue with the USB modem on Vista which results in reduced speeds ( testing it here in the O2 NOC gives maximum of 800kbps whereas the same test on XP gives 1.4mbps easily ). Huawei have been notified of the issues with it, and its basically going back and forth between us as regards what the resolution might be,.

what speeds are ye hoping to launch with?
    also what data card are ye looking at?

just checking over some things here, but speedwise the aim is at least 1.4mbps going on current tests, although it may be more depending on changes in service offering, but from a technical point of view, the modem was giving 1.4mbps from irishisptest.com on xp and only 800kbps on vista, which is what they are trying to investigate and improve prior to any launch.

As for October, not sure about the datacard, i believe its going to be one from Sierra Wireless ( http://www.sierrawireless.com ), however also in the pipeline for september/october i believe is launching the Huawei E270 , the 7.2mbps/2mbps HSDPA USB Modem. As for the actual speeds offered on the service, that I dont know at this point.

[ All Offerings and dates are subject to date and all details provided are at this point prelimanary and without guarantee ]

i wonder if the data card is the aircard 850 or 860...would hate that arial hanging out of it

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,826 ✭✭✭godskitchen

All these figures are impressive,7.2mbps/2mbps HSDPA, but going by O2's history with 3G i wouldn't hold my breath, they have sat on their 3G license for some time now, doing nothing with it, oh apart from talk about it lots.

• Registered Users Posts: 744 ✭✭✭cold_filter

JNive wrote:
    Im currently involved in testing the USB modem for O2s 3G service. Its the Huawei E220 ( same as Vodafone ) and is due for launch on July 1st, with a datacard option aimed at October.

However so far there is still an issue with the USB modem on Vista which results in reduced speeds ( testing it here in the O2 NOC gives maximum of 800kbps whereas the same test on XP gives 1.4mbps easily ). Huawei have been notified of the issues with it, and its basically going back and forth between us as regards what the resolution might be,.

you should not be releasing that kind of information into the public domain buddy its not professional and i'm sure o2 would not be very happy to find out

most of the info is not o2 specific nor is it in any way official, they are just rough guides really

Exactly its not official, 02 will come out and say "our HSDPA can go at 3.6mb when in prime coverage your only getting 800kb with vista (which isnt a major problem at the moment and by the time vista is widespread huawei will have sorted the problem) So people who may be spotty 3G coverage arent gonna buy your card/modem if thats the highest speed your getting and your in SJRQ

the speed issue isnt related just to the o2 service, at this point many cards have problems even working on vista. and as with all products once things are released im sure there will be people willing to give their own views on how something works for them lol.

Anyways, this post was mostly aimed at those that have waited and waited for a 3g service from o2 and were of the opinion that nothing was coming to market in their lifetimes.

• Advertisement

sure i work in voda and vista is causing us issue's as well...no big secret....big article in last weeks sundays bus post about incompatibility issues with vista across the board

JNive wrote:
    the speed issue isnt related just to the o2 service, at this point many cards have problems even working on vista. and as with all products once things are released im sure there will be people willing to give their own views on how something works for them lol.

Anyways, this post was mostly aimed at those that have waited and waited for a 3g service from o2 and were of the opinion that nothing was coming to market in their lifetimes.

I have the e220 on a vista laptop and it works fine speed is comparable to another laptop running XP.

Indeed i'm sure once it's launched you'll get the usual scare mongers about 3G!

True vista is utter s**t but it works fine with my modem, nothin else really works with it though, maybe i just got lucky with my version!

lol, when it came to my 7900GS card not working in full screen with the RTM andpost-RTM video drivers and other peoples 7900GS cards working fine since beta, i just gave up lol.

Anyways, lets all just blame vista :-)

I think most people will, My clearwire wont work with it my modem does.

As said above with so many problems with vista companies who use the mcc/usb modem will be slow to uptake on vista so by the time they do i'm sure all problems will have been sorted out.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,617 ✭✭✭talla

Am running Vista Home Premium on laptop using the Huwei 620 card on Vodafone and am still getting 1.13Mbps down/356 up in an area with only 3 bars. Am using the vista mobile connect software and drivers which can be downloaded from http://www.business.vodafone.com/site/bus/public/enuk/p_software_tscs49.jsp

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,407 ✭✭✭gerky

Thanks for the replies, anyone got any idea when voda are planning to release update for usb modems for vista.I was talking to someone in vodafone about a month ago apparently it was supposed to be last week.

• Registered Users Posts: 32,417 ✭✭✭✭watty

Some laptops you can find all the XP drivers and upgrade to XP pro.

Advertisement