Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

bt broadband problem

Options
  • 29-03-2007 9:43am
    Registered Users Posts: 275 ✭✭

i recently subscribed to bt to avail of there broadband service. bt got eircom to install my phone line but when i went to check my line & its not broadband enabled. i live an estate close to the mountmellick exchange in co. laois. My neighbours to the left & to the right have broadband. what can i do to get my line broadband enabled?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 7,042 ✭✭✭kaizersoze

The lines are automatically tested obout once a month so, more than likely, your line hasn't been tested yet. When you put your number into the line checker you're only accessing a database. It's not a live test.
    Give Eircom a ring and get them to test the line. If they won't do it because you're a BT customer then ring BT and get them to get Eircom to do it.

• Registered Users Posts: 275 ✭✭jessconr

thanks. i got bt to test my line when i was ordering broadband. maybe they didnt do a live test. i also rang eircom who werent very helpful cos i'm with bt. i was transfered from one person to another. eventually i got threw to this guy who checked my line but i have a funny suspicion he didnt do i live check either. my line was connected on the 9th of march so maybe your right. any other suggestions if my line is still not enabled after a live check. i hope my line is not on a switcher

• Registered Users Posts: 7,042 ✭✭✭kaizersoze

i got bt to test my line when i was ordering broadband.

If you ordered BB from BT and they accepted the order you should be fine. The won't accept an order on a line thats a fail. Did you ring BT to ask how your BB order was progressing?
    10 working days is the norm for getting BB setup.

no they didnt accept my order because the sales rep did a line check which failed so i'm hoping you right & they didnt do a live test

i just rang bt there. they did a line check & said my line was not connected to my local exchange even though the houses to the left & right of me are. They also said i could be waiting 1,2,3 months or even forever for it to be connected. i've no other use for the line other than broadband. is there any way at all to find out when or if my line will be connected other than ringing eircom cos they wont help me. i really dont wanna go down the road of having to order an other line because there's no garauntee that line will be connected to the exchange either. can anyone please help. i'm in dire straights here.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 12,448 Mod ✭✭✭✭dub45

Ok relax and take a deep breath and clarify a few basic things for us please!

Do you have a working phone line? If so can we take it that you are a BT customer for phone calls? (If you have a working phone line then obviously you are connected to the local exchange)

No broadband has been ordered from anyone.

Now to just to reiterate what kaizersoze has told you Eircom test the lines once a month and the results are put into a database when is then accessed by the isps when someone wants to order bb.

When a new line is installed it takes a certain amount of time for the test on that line to find its way into the database. Pending that the line will show up as a fail. There is no way to hurry this up as far as we are aware.

yeah i have a phone line & contracted to BT. i asked for a live test & thats when they said my line was not broadband compatible(whether they did a live test or not i dont no). i'm just eager to get broadband asap otherwise i'll be paying line rental for nothing. if there was someone i could contact to do a proper live line test it would be great. i just hate not knowing. if i can never get broadband on my line i wanna terminate my contract with BT post haste

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 12,448 Mod ✭✭✭✭dub45

When they tell you that they are doing a line test I would say that it is very likely that they are just checking the database. You should leave it for at least a month from the date of installation of the phone before giving up hope.

thanks. my phone line was installed on the 9th of March so i'll give it a few weeks

Advertisement