Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

careers in law for the poor

• 29-03-2007 10:02am
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,686 ✭✭✭

Can someone give me an idea of what careers someone can get into if they can't afford to go straight from college into the Law Society or King's Inns.

I know all the college's tell you a law degree means you can work in various different areas but I don't see RTE banging down my door anytime in the future so what jobs can a law graduate get that will pay decent money?

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,249 ✭✭✭✭Kinetic^

You could train to be a company secretary and earn some cash that way.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,668 ✭✭✭maidhc

GDM wrote:
    I know all the college's tell you a law degree means you can work in various different areas but I don't see RTE banging down my door anytime in the future so what jobs can a law graduate get that will pay decent money?

Most companies hire law graduates the same way as they hire any other.. e.g, Bank of Ireland take them on the graduate programme.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 135 ✭✭Stirling

GDM wrote:
    if they can't afford to go straight from college into the Law Society or King's Inns.

Not strictly what you're looking for but the Law Society is offering free fees for people who would be within certain Income thresholds in order to encourage people who mightn't be able to afford the fees to enter the Profession. Worth looking into if the only thing putting you off one of the Professional Courses is cost

• Legal Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 4,338 Mod ✭✭✭✭Tom Young

GDM, there are a lot of options out there.

Regulatory affairs is a good access method which provides pertinent experience, e.g., Postal, Energy, Finance, Communications, Aviation, Competition Authority etc. Salaries are generally good aswell.

Legal research and secretarial/clerk work is another option, but the salaries can be quite low.

Tom

• Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Politics Moderators Posts: 14,535 Mod ✭✭✭✭johnnyskeleton

GDM wrote:
    I know all the college's tell you a law degree means you can work in various different areas but I don't see RTE banging down my door anytime in the future so what jobs can a law graduate get that will pay decent money? (emphasis added)

None. Unless you are well connected, a genious, or an absolute charmer. When you have just a basic degree in anything, even a first in law, you are qualified to work in mcdonalds, burgerking, and a few call centres.

If you want to make decent money, you have to get more qualifications and/or work your ass off. You don't get decent money for nothing. However, you can get a living wage while you go to blackhall place, and the money rises from there. So if you want to do something with your degree and eventually make decent money, that is a good option.

Also, very few people can actually afford to go to college, do unpaid/low paid work for a few years, and not be guaranteed any significant return. But they do it anyway, because they are taking a risk. If you don't want to take that risk, then you won't make the decent money. I would also ask you not to go down the route of assuming that anybody who becomes a solicitor or barrister is minted, because by and large, it isn't true, and it is an insult to suggest that the people who succeed in these professions do so purely because they had rich parents.

• Advertisement
Advertisement