Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

ANVIL Ireland - Raising Awareness of the Plight of Animals

Options
  • 29-03-2007 11:04am
    Registered Users Posts: 363 ✭✭

http://www.petitiononline.com/anvil/petition.html

They can't vote, you can. Make it count!

Animals Need a Voice In Legislation Ireland (ANVIL) is a group, formed to raise the profile of animals in both the public and political arena, thus ensuring adequate legislation for their protection. ANVIL does not support any one political party nor is it a vehicle for any one welfare or interest group.
    Are you involved in animal rescue? Do you have a pet or two? Do you just like animals and believe they deserve to be treated in a humane fashion? If you've answered yes to any of these questions you can help to improve the situation for animals in Ireland.

A Petition has been set up to try and raise awareness of the plight of Irish animals, if anyone has ever visited a Dog Pound you will be only too aware of the vast amount of dogs that go through it on a daily basis, the majority of which never get a 2nd chance and there only crime, is having a human owner that didn't want them. Last year along we put to sleep over 16,000 dogs in Irish Pounds. That does not take into account the dogs that were put to sleep in vets or by other methods i.e. drowning etc. or the greyhounds that were put to sleep.

If everyone could sign the petition it would be fantastic and if you could forward it on to your friends, family and colleagues.

Thank you for taking the time to read this, every signature makes a difference.

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,114 ✭✭✭doctor evil

Better protection in what regards?. I noticed that on the petition the word pets is in inverted commas, are ANVIL against or uneasy about that term or what it implies.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,522 ✭✭✭✭fits

Better protection in what regards?. I noticed that on the petition the word pets is in inverted commas, are ANVIL against or uneasy about that term or what it implies.

The legislation relating to companion animal welfare dates from 1911. At present if a member of the public sees an animal being mistreated, excepting the most extreme cases, there is very little anyone can do about it, as there is no legal framework in place.
    Anvil Ireland is a very moderate umbrella organisation, and their efforts should be supported by anyone with a love for their pets. They certainly are not animal rights extremists, as I'm guessing you suspect. I'm sure the word 'pets' is in inverted commas as they probably had to define what the word meant, I can assure you nearly everyone involved in anvil have pets of their own.

There is a dog near where I live who has been chained up since last July. I have never seen him off this chain and neither have the neighbours... The owners do not interact with this dog at all. As the dog appears well fed, there is nothing anyone can do about it even though he is probably insane by now.

I've signed this petition.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1 nicerlady

This is a great cause, im shocked to discover Ireland has no minister to represent companion animals or our pets. Its a joke.

Ive signed this and truly hope other Irish people will support it so we can drag our Govt kicking and screaming into this century.

Advertisement