Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

[REQ] Recommended Exterior Car Cleaning Products/Proceedures

Options
  • 29-03-2007 11:29am
    Registered Users Posts: 2,848 ✭✭✭

Howdy! I'm looking to start actually washing my car. Any advise on what products are worth getting, where to buy them, etc.

How many wash mitts/foam pads/sponges/microfiber cloths/chamois/brushes do you need and which of these do you find works best for each part of the cleaning process. For example: would you recommend having 2 sheepskin mitts and using one for shampooing the car and another for shining? Are the cheaper cotton wash mitts just as good... or would recommend a natural sponge over both of these? :confused:

What is the deal with microfiber cloths. There's, like... 50 varieties of them; all different 'weaves'. I've heard that microfiber cloths are pretty much superior to the old chamois for drying off the car. What do we reckon?

I'm not looking to spend a fortune at the minute just looking to get something that's better for the finish than using dish washing liquid and a sponge. Also I like 'easy' that's why I'm interested in the wash mitts - heard they made the job quicker.

Any thoughts on Autoglym Car Shampoo or Meguiars Nxt Generation Car Wash or just generally on the best brands for your buck?

Actually, if you have any links to any good sites for these sorta questions, that would be great. I couldn't see any links in the sticky that looked suitable.

Seriously, thank you for any help you can offer.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 7,398 ✭✭✭fletch

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 10,433 Mod ✭✭✭✭Mr Magnolia

I found this a while ago, seems ok to me:
    Remember that the point of washing your vehicle is to remove surface dirt & grime, using a good quality car wash will ensure that this is done without stripping any wax that has been applied and also without the use of any salt additives (which you will find in most Washing Up Liquids – hence the best reason not to use them).

The choice of products on the market these days is bewildering for even the best of us and is further made difficult by many devotees of one brand or another. In my opinion, any decent brand of Car Wash (without added wax) is usually adequate. My current favourite has to be Meguiars Gold Class Wash - a rich, lubricating wash. For an idea of what brands to use see below (This is not an exhaustive list by any means):

Zymol Clear Bathe www.vertar.com

Meguiars Gold Class www.seriousperformance.co.uk

Meguairs NXT www.seriousperformance.co.uk

Swissol Car Wash www.swissol.com

Zaino Z7 Car Wash www.advancedcarproducts.com (in the very nr. future)

Now what to use to apply it with…?

I prefer to use a silicone free sponge (bought from Vertar) but a decent MF Cloth or lambswool mitt will do just as nicely.

How to wash…?

First place to start is the wheels, this avoids splattering the clean paintwork with Alloy Wheel Cleaner later on. (For an in-depth look at wheel cleaning – please see the forthcoming post on the subject)

Always wet the vehicle thoroughly with running water to remove loose dirt & debris from your paintwork.

Two buckets?

A smart way of keeping your soapy water cleaner and dirt free is to keep an extra bucket of clean water beside your soapy water one - dunk your sponge/cloth in that first to get the dirt you've just removed from your car out first and then into your soapy water...this way you're not just reapplying dirt to your car...

Assuming the car is not a soft-top; start washing from top to bottom.

Start from the roof, then the windscreen, rear screen, windows. Once this is done rinse off. Next, wash the bonnet & boot lid and mirrors then rinse off. After this comes the top half of the doors and wings following the same procedure. Finally the bumpers, lights and the bottom half of the doors and sills.

During the washing process, make sure you frequently soak your sponge/cloth in your chosen washing solution to dislodge any particles they pick up and to give you fresh suds to lather the car with.

How to dry your car?

Many people like to use the Flexi-Blade approach to drying but I have never liked using them. I prefer using a decent MF Chamois (mine bought from serious performance), they make drying a lot easier and streak free as well as being long lasting.

Drying again follows the same principles as washing; work your way down with one exception – start from your windscreen then do the roof (working backwards to force the water off the back of the vehicle, this ensures a spot free screen) followed by the rest of the glass. From glass onwards work your way down from the boot lid, bonnet, etc.

List of items needed:

Two one gallon buckets

Car Wash Liquid

Sponge/Cloth/Mitt

Hose

MF Chamois/Flexi Blade/ Leather Chamois

Plenty of time...!

List of things to avoid:

Washing up liquid

Jet Washes

Using cut up towels / old clothing to wash or polish with.

Any abrasive substances such as household products – i.e. Jif, Cillit Bang, etc.

Happy washing...!

All from here, you may need to register for access

• Registered Users Posts: 1,616 ✭✭✭TomMc

This is how to wash a car properly, look, listen and learn !!!

http://video.google.com/videoplay?docid=7598756069207401372&q=showcargarage.com

Approx 30mins.

If you want the very best products in Ireland shop (online) here or even for some professional advice, send an email for a personal recommendation to suit a cars colour, condition and of course the users level of experience.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,398 ✭✭✭fletch

TomMc wrote:
    This is how to wash a car properly, look, listen and learn !!!

http://video.google.com/videoplay?docid=7598756069207401372&q=showcargarage.com

Approx 30mins.

If you want the very best products in Ireland shop (online) here or even for some professional advice, send an email for a personal recommendation to suit a cars colour, condition and of course the users level of experience.
    Really enjoyed watching that video! :-)

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 60 ✭✭Zwartsj

been washing my car by hand for longer than i care to remember and its simple

all you need is bucket, sponge, hosepipe and an old towel.
    soap all i use is AutoGlym products it probably one of the most expensive you can buy but works the best.

so wet the car get some semi warm water in the bucket with some soap wash, rinse, and give a few min so most of the car kinda drip dry then take that lovely white towel and dry by hand (will leave no water marks)

and then you can move on to the polishing (Autoglym again) if you want to go the whole 9 yards

to clean them windows use Autoglym Fast Glass clean inside I found a hover to work the best

that’s it nothing to it
    O you can buy Autoglym in Halfords or any good motorfactors.

Zwartsj wrote:
    been washing my car by hand for longer than i care to remember and its simple

all you need is bucket, sponge, hosepipe and an old towel.
    soap all i use is AutoGlym products it probably one of the most expensive you can buy but works the best.

so wet the car get some semi warm water in the bucket with some soap wash, rinse, and give a few min so most of the car kinda drip dry then take that lovely white towel and dry by hand (will leave no water marks)

and then you can move on to the polishing (Autoglym again) if you want to go the whole 9 yards

to clean them windows use Autoglym Fast Glass clean inside I found a hover to work the best

that’s it nothing to it
    O you can buy Autoglym in Halfords or any good motorfactors.

Fnz: ignore such a casual & haphazard washing approach as suggested above. Otherwise in no time at all, you will have inflicted major swirls marks and scratches into your cars paint finish, destroying the look of same.

And AutoGlym's products are neither the most expensive, nor the best out there - but then again brainwashed consumers have no discrimination and so would not know any better. Their shampoo does not foam up very much which is not ideal for the washing process and their main polish (SRP) contains chalk rather than chemical cleansers.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,665 ✭✭✭gary the great

Anything wrong with using a powerhose?
    I’d usually power hose all the crap off, then use a sponge to lash some sort of sopy stuff, then powerhouse of again.

If im going the whole nine yards I,ll get some sheepskin cloth and give the whole car a going over with compound. Then I’d put a layer of polish on and it usually looks spanking!

• Registered Users Posts: 3,570 ✭✭✭rebel.ranter

I love using the Zymol car wash shampoo. It really makes the car shine almost as good as a proper wax.
    I like the tip about the two buckets, one for rinsing the sponge.

I always leave cleaning the alloy wheels to the last job. This is because I do not like dragging brake dust all over the car when I'm washing it. I even get a fresh bucket for these, I usually clean the rears first as the fronts have the most brake dust on them.
    I've stopped using my power washer these days (save that for winter only unde rthe arches), stick to the garden hose for rinsing. It's ideal to rinse your car first to loosen up all the dirt before you go "scrubbing" with a sponge.

Which leads me to the next point, resist the temptation to scrub off any tar, bird droppings, insect remains, instead leave it to soak in. You'll only make a mess of the paintwork. Frequently rinse the sponger & dip for fresh shampoo regularly.
    I would advise rinsing the car as you go, wash the top of the car then rinse, then the first side, then rinse, next side, then rinse, the front & back, followed by a rinse. That way you can see whther you have missed a spot as it will have dried out.
    I'm famous in work for getting the tyres on my work jeep (which goes off-road regularly) jet black. I always like to finish off washing the car by spraying on tyre cleaner, it just makes the car all that cleaner. There's nothing worse than a clean car with dirty brown tyres!!

I always like to finish off washing the car by spraying on tyre cleaner, it just makes the car all that cleaner. There's nothing worse than a clean car with dirty brown tyres!!

True, Turtle Wax have a good tyre gel only down side is that it attracts dust/dirt. Apply with care to avoid alloy/rim and paint work on the car.

• Advertisement

Sparks400 wrote:
    True, Turtle Wax have a good tyre gel only down side is that it attracts dust/dirt. Apply with care to avoid alloy/rim and paint work on the car.
    I use the Amrourall foam spray. Once you leave it dry in for about 20 minutes it's fine. It doesn't attract the dirt like some others I've used. It's also incredibly easy to use. In additon it doesn't make the tyres look really glossy & overly shiney. It just makes them black & tidy looking.

I use the Amrourall foam spray. Once you leave it dry in for about 20 minutes it's fine. It doesn't attract the dirt like some others I've used. It's also incredibly easy to use. In additon it doesn't make the tyres look really glossy & overly shiney. It just makes them black & tidy looking.

I'll try that, where's it available from?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,848 ✭✭✭Fnz

Thanks for taking the time to reply. I get the washing methods now but many sites are reluctant to recommend individual products - which is understandable - those that do make recommendations are often of questionable partiality (grammar check please :D ). I can't watch that wash video from this computer TomMc - but thanks I will check it out eventually.

Couple more questions:

- What products do you folks rate highly? Particularly shampoos and applicators, such as wash mitts (I'd like a good 'un). Thanks Rebel.ranter for the recommendation.

- Also, are Halfords' own brand products any good?

- Where do you buy your products in Dublin? I'm near the city centre on the Northside. Or is online purchasing definitely the way to go - for savings?

Again, thank you.

I believe the Armourall & Zymol is available at Halfords. I usually get them locally but Halfords is fine too.
    I just use a sponge that I change every few months, as for mitts I'm not sure. I used to use a leather chamois to dry it but I've given up drying it now, usually wash it in the evening now.
    I did buy a wheel brush with a kinf of fleecy end on it as opposed to bristles but only used it once so far, I have mixed opinions on it.
    The Zymol polish is good too, I have also used the Autoglym High Gloss stuff, one of my cars is black \& it's definitely the best stuff to use on a black car, the shine is unreal.
    I Use the Autoglym glass polish, leather cream, leather cleaner. I recently bought the scratch glass polish recommended earlier in the month by another boardie, it did a great jjob on the wiper blade marks.

Fnz wrote:
    Thanks for taking the time to reply. I get the washing methods now but many sites are reluctant to recommend individual products - which is understandable - those that do make recommendations are often of questionable partiality (grammar check please :D ). I can't watch that wash video from this computer TomMc - but thanks I will check it out eventually.

Couple more questions:

- What products do you folks rate highly? Particularly shampoos and applicators, such as wash mitts (I'd like a good 'un). Thanks Rebel.ranter for the recommendation.

- Also, are Halfords' own brand products any good?

- Where do you buy your products in Dublin? I'm near the city centre on the Northside. Or is online purchasing definitely the way to go - for savings?

Again, thank you.
    Fnz ..... First of all, pay little attention to advice given by the average joe ..... they are not clued in.

Always use a thick wash mitt which can absorb much of the dirt and grime deep inside its pile. Use two buckets, one with a shampoo solution and another with just fresh water. Rinse out your mitt in the bucket of clean water after washing one panel and then wring it out before dipping it back in the shampoo solution and moving to the next panel ... and so on and so on etc. What the numpties do not understand is that a sponge will not absorb any dirt and so it just rests on the outer level/face of same, and so you end up wiping more and more dirt, grit and grime right across the paintwork. Just like the child in the old VW Passat ad - it is like washing with a brillo pad.

On the shampoo front, a higher foaming and better quality solution will help to emulsify and encapsulate dirt particles, effectively lifting them off the surface and with added lubricity so they glide off the paint with ease. This reduces the need to wipe across (never rub or scrub) the finish. Rinse off the solution with an open garden hose and most of the water will sheet off. If you use a jet wash or powerhose it will leave much more excess water behind. More work to dry off or else end up with lots of water spots if left alone. The best way to dry a car after a wash is to pat dry the finish with a microfibre chamois or microfibre towel as natural leathers are far more likely to mark todays water based paint finishes.

The best car care products can only be bought online. They will be that bit dearer but it is all about quality not quantity. Whats in the shops are budget solutions for the uninitiated masses (easily pleased). Overpriced and overrated - but thats the world we live in - its all about branding - and creating a perception of quality rather than quality itself. The best companies do not really bother with the high street marketplace so online is the way to go.

If you pm me I can give you some recommendations and how and where to get the best deals and products.

Otherwise, at the budget end of the market, 1Z Einszett Metallic Polish Wax is a great all-rounder as is their Exclusiv Gloss or Perls Shampoo. Made in Germany and an OEM Supplier to Mercedes. Only available from Smart Car Care online.

If you want to try a motor factors in Dublin (as all Halfords have is AutoGlym, Turtle wax & the like), I would have a look for Sonax Gloss Shampoo and for a polish & wax, their Xtreme Polish & Wax Nano Pro 2 or 3 (depending on your cars condition), is another good budget option. McLaren use Sonax products on their F1 cars.

Cheaper than all the other more established brands and much better.

I myself use more expensive stuff but then I'm a fanatic !

• Registered Users Posts: 6,846 ✭✭✭CrowdedHouse

TomMc wrote:
    Fnz ..... First of all, pay little attention to advice given by the average joe ..... they are not clued in.

The best car care products can only be bought online. They will be that bit dearer but it is all about quality not quantity. Whats in the shops are budget solutions for the uninitiated masses (easily pleased). Overpriced and overrated -
    Otherwise, at the budget end of the market, 1Z Einszett Metallic Polish Wax is a great all-rounder as is their Exclusiv Gloss or Perls Shampoo. Made in Germany and an OEM Supplier to Mercedes. Only available from Smart Car Care online.

Are you or do you work for these guys? You seem to pimp them a lot.

Seven Worlds will Collide

No, just a very satisfied customer. They are the only retailer who sells the stuff I like. It saves me having to order things from abroad and pay USPS & courier shipping rates.;)

Anyway, if you care to read my post you will see I told Fnz to try a local motor factors first, for some other gear. It's just, I have no time for Halfords or other foreign chains who try to dump all their excess tat & crap on the Irish market.:rolleyes:

• Registered Users Posts: 6,846 ✭✭✭CrowdedHouse

Fair enough Tom thanks,I'm inclined to agree with you regarding the chains.

Seven Worlds will Collide

Advertisement