Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

Going to service car myself-what do I need?

Options
  • 29-03-2007 11:47am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 343 ✭✭

I am going to service my own car (Golf MK4) tomorrow. Its got 43k on the clock, so I guess this is the 40k service, as it was last serviced by a back street garage at 36k. I'll have to state here that I've never serviced it before, so I have neither the tools or the knowledge. What I do have is a Haynes manual though :)

What should be done for a 40k service. Im hoping to change
    oil
    oil filter
    air filter
    pollen filter

Anything else I should be checking/replacing? Also where would I pick up an oil filter removal tool if needed ?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,487 ✭✭✭franksm

- spark plugs
    - spark plug leads (if you're feeling flush)

For oil pickup - just a basin will do, but better still is the "proper" can from the likes of Halfords. Lots of newspaper to help you pour it into the old container ;) The local council recycler/dump/depot can take the old oil off you.

The above will have cost you maybe EUR220 from a dealer (labour and parts), so DIY is the way to go.

If you have more time & good weather on your side:

- coolant & de-ionised water (should be changed every couple of years anyway)
    - brake fluid and bleeding kit (after 40K miles, new fluid will make a lovely difference)
    - fuel filter (probably a messy job though)

The above three jobs would I guess cost another EUR250 from the dealer.

I recommend Tallaght Autoparts for such bits, and Dunboyne Autoparts if that's handy for you.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 343 ✭✭kaizersoze123

spark plugs...i hadnt thought of that. Where would I pick these up from. Halfrauds? Are spark plugs difficult to replace?
    thanks

• Registered Users Posts: 1,487 ✭✭✭franksm

Halfords, yeah. You can get them to supply a wrench that fits at the same time. Dunno if your plugs are in the top of the engine, or on the side, but they're pretty easy to remove.

Just remember to tighten the new ones gently by hand before tightening with the wrench, as they're easy to cross-thread (which is expensive to fix) :eek:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 343 ✭✭kaizersoze123

thanks for the advice

• Registered Users Posts: 5,451 ✭✭✭blastman

What's a bleeding kit, out of interest? Was thinking of changing my brake fluid.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 121 ✭✭Puff Puff Pass

sucks out the brake fluid out of the lines.
    might aswell change your brake pads aswell if your going the whole 9 yards. they'll feel like new again. I'd change the pads before Id change the fluid though. its probably still good for another while considering were talking a MK4 Golf here

• Closed Accounts Posts: 393 ✭✭mondeoman

blastman wrote:
    What's a bleeding kit, out of interest? Was thinking of changing my brake fluid.

http://www.justoffbase.co.uk/Vacuum-Pump-Brake-Bleeding-Kit-68714-Draper-VAC1A?sc=9&category=88;)

• Registered Users Posts: 3,570 ✭✭✭rebel.ranter

I was recently looking into buying a "One Man" bleeding kit. There are loads of different types of kits, ones that work from with air pressure, one way valve systems etc. However I read an article somewhere (on the web) comparing all these devices & the writer summed up by saying that the best method by far is the two man method, i.e. one man at the pedal another at the valve.
    I would be cautious bleeding your own brakes for the first time, or the cooling system for that matter. Do you know someone that has experience in doing these jobs? The reason I say this is because it is easy to get air in either system if the job is done incorrectly. Air in the brakes lines leads to poor performance, air in the cooling sytem can lead to engine overheating.
    Once you see it done properly once then at least you'll know what to watch out for.

Oh don't crawl under the car to change to oil without first securing it with axle stands.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 586 ✭✭✭Bradidup

blastman wrote:

The service is fine for DIY, ie changing oils, filters, topping up fluids etc. but dont mess with the brakes if you havent a clue, Its a two man job and you wont have a leg to strand on in an accident, leave that up to the pros.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,706 ✭✭✭craichoe

Pads is fine .. I wouldn't mess with the braking system itself ...

Make sure you put in that metal spacer/spring !! Awful screaming noise of the brakes if you don't !!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 73,454 ✭✭✭✭colm_mcm

even pads shouldn't be attempted unless you're 100% sure of what you're doing.

• Registered Users Posts: 51,239 ✭✭✭✭bazz26

Don't even attempt to go near something as important as brakes if your not sure what your doing. You would want to watch or be helped by a mechanic a couple of times before going at the brakes imo.

• Registered Users Posts: 991 ✭✭✭endplate

You need the dude that got bannned for promoting GSFcarparts back to plug his company for the parts for your service:D

Advertisement