Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Can I sow grass seed yet?

Options
  • 29-03-2007 12:13pm
    Registered Users Posts: 425 ✭✭

Hi,
    Am in the Midlands and now that we have some growth I'm keen to sow new seed in the patches of my lawn that didn't quite take off since last Autumn.
    However I note that they're still giving frost warnings on the forecast.

Can frost kill the seeds, or is it only a problem when they take root, i.e. a couple of weeks down the line? In other words can I throw them down now in the hope that the last of the frost will be gone in a couple of weeks?

Thanks!
    /M.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,049 ✭✭✭Crea

You're better off waiting until the frost risk is gone. Seeds can germinate in about a week and can be killed off then. I've the same problem with my lawn but i'm going to wait another 2 weeks or so.

• Hosted Moderators Posts: 10,661 ✭✭✭✭John Mason

arrrgh, really, i planted mine on monday fingers crossed it will be no more frost so :(

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,171 ✭✭✭paulocon

Probably safer leaving it until April.

Some tips...
    http://www.homeandgardenireland.com/article.php?start=10&articleId=11

• Closed Accounts Posts: 32,688 ✭✭✭✭ytpe2r5bxkn0c1

irishbird wrote:
    arrrgh, really, i planted mine on monday fingers crossed it will be no more frost so :(
    Don't panic!! March and September are the traditional times for sowing grass and the seed will easily survive the frost. Recently sprouted grass can suffer under severe frost but what we get this time of year, while enough to damage the flowers of fruit trees, will do little lasting harm.

Advertisement