Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

IBB Ripwave installation problems

Options
  • 29-03-2007 12:29pm
    Registered Users Posts: 5,451 ✭✭✭

Hi all, as well as my own problems with BT (see other thread), I've also been trying to get Ripwave installed for a mate of mine. I've got reasonable signal strength, not great signal quality showing in the Navini diagnostic software, but I can probably improve the signal quality a bit by moving the modem .. thing.

The problem is that basically I can't get on the internet with it at all. The network connection shows limited or no connectivity. When I installed the software first, it hung and only installed properly on the second attempt, whereupon it shows that everything is working OK. However, IE won't display any pages and I can't ping any site. In the MSN connection troubleshooter, the default gateway test fails.

I have uninstalled and reinstalled the software a couple of times and I wonder if this could be causing a problem as it may not uninstall properly. Initially, when I went to Network Connections in the Control Panel, there was an Broadband connection icon showing, which had something to do with the Navini software, as well as the LAN or High Speed Internet connection. I haven't been able to get this Broadband icon back on subsequent installs, though.

Help!

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 32,417 ✭✭✭✭watty

Get an Ethernet version of Ripwave and don't install any SW. Set to DHCP and untick File &Printer, QOS, Microsoft client and anything else other than TCP/IP in the Ethernet (Local Area Connection) properties.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,451 ✭✭✭blastman

He has an ethernet version, watty, the Ripwave thing is connected to the on-board network connection, I presume that's what you mean?

By set to DCHP, you mean under TCP/IP Properties > Advanced > IP Settings?

yes.
    You don't need any of the SW. That is only for the evil USB version. Uninstall that.

Unticking the non-TCP/IP boxes works better than many Firewall programs. 99.99% of network vunrabilities are via the non-TCP/IP settings or services that should be off.

Disable and wait till it is disabled and re-enable the Network card by right click menu if changing any settings.

Then Start | Run
    type CMD

then type ipconfig to see if any network DHCP has worked.

You can right click and repair on Network icon or ipconfig /renew in CMD window if there is no IP address.
    ping the DNS and gateway IPs that are listed.

Cheers, I'll try that.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,227 ✭✭✭gamer

ibb MODEM needs to be near a window. or upstairs to get a signal ,works on los .line of sight to AERIAL,downstairs beside pc signal is probably zero.You can run 30ft ethernet rj45 cable to modem, upstairs ,and leave the pc downstairs.modem must face in direction of the ibb aerial too ,the higher up the better the signal.all the dhcp avanced settings no use,if you cant get a signal.Buildings ,trees ,can bnlock or reduce signal.I get 5bars ,ie 50 percent signal ,200k persec approx.

• Advertisement

gamer, thanks for the advice. I got it going tonight after following watty's advice (thanks for that, too, watty), but it appears the signal is crap as well, as I could barely connect to the internet before the signal was gone again. The modem is at a window, but it's right behind the PC (and an admittedly-unplugged telly!) at the moment. Also the house is a bungalow, so there's a limit as to how high up it can be. He's getting very low readings on the modem for signal strength and quality any time it is connected.

I think I might have persuaded him to go back to eircom.

I got 9km out of one of these by taking out stalk of an MMDS dish and poistioning mesh dish on desk point out window at mast and then a pile of books to position the Ripwave aerial where the end of the stalk used to be (dish focus). I'm on higher ground than the limerick base, so it worked.

Unfortunately IBB don't do an external aerial version and pings are rather high and speed only seems to reach 220kbps if no-one else on the sector.

If there is a choice of DSL, then there is no comparison. Even most other wireless is better: Breeze is nearly 8 times better and Metro over 12 to 20 times better.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,227 ✭✭✭gamer

thats why they have deal, bring it back 2 shop in a week.,if signal bad get full refund .I KNOW PEOPLE close to aerial get 450k persecond 9 bars.Better to get breeze or eircom if you can afford it,orpass the line test.

He had eircom before. Trying to persuade him to go back! Thanks for the help, lads.

gamer wrote:
    thats why they have deal, bring it back 2 shop in a week.,if signal bad get full refund .I KNOW PEOPLE close to aerial get 450k persecond 9 bars.Better to get breeze or eircom if you can afford it,orpass the line test.

Where?

My son in law was only 200m or less and pings often up to 1850ms and data dropping to 60k or less. If he was online at times everyone asleep he got about 300k and near reasonable 50 or 60ms?

Maybe the folks you know are on a very under utilised mast.

• Advertisement
Advertisement