Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Sir Bono the gobs***e

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,470 ✭✭✭DonJose

SumGuy wrote:
    And he moved away to supposedly (is this fact, I'm not sure) avoid paying taxes. Why are people so upset about this? (Honest question)
    Bono never moved away, his company moved offshore to avoid paying taxes in the country he lives in. Thats a lot of money that will not be going to schools and hospitals and the everyday running of our country. Yet he still gets on his soapbox and preaches debt cancellation, while his bank account grows and grows, can you not see the irony here?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14,575 ✭✭✭✭FlutterinBantam

Yep spot on!!!

Cardboard cowboy,cardboard cowboy.

I hate it when some gimp tries to tell me what to do,when I know that the same gimp does exactly the opposite.

Fair play to the man for doing well, and no jealousy there. But....

For fcuks sake don't take me as an absolute gob****e,and try to patronise me.

I don't do patronise.

• Subscribers Posts: 32,855 ✭✭✭✭5starpool

Why should we care if he accepted it or not? We are all one big happy European family now aren't we. Conflicts occur and eventually they cease and peace begins. It is the people who cannot accept moving on that are the cause of continued ill will that does not do anything except hinder progress. I'd only be too happy to leave Northern Ireland where it is, except for the prospect of having David Healy score loads of goals for a unified team. Now that would be worth seeing.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,337 ✭✭✭Archeron

Just heard on the radio this morning that an Anglican Youth group is going to have a mass in a church in Dublins Cathal Brugha street tonight, and since they are going to be using the music of U2 during it, they are referring to it as Irelands first U2-logy (as in eulogy). Now thats just creepy.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 22,799 ✭✭✭✭The Hill Billy

latenia wrote:
    Fact: Bono and U2 have avoided 10s, probably hundreds, of millions in Irish income tax.

Yeah right. Like there aren't another 4 million on this island who wouldn't mind paying the Revenue a few less bob in tax? Facts, schmacts...

The rest of the populace arn't preaching fiscal rectitude to all and sundry while doing the exact opposite.

• Moderators, Regional Midwest Moderators Posts: 11,147 Mod ✭✭✭✭MarkR

DonJose wrote:
    Great artisit, but as a person he must be one of the biggest gobs***e out there. He accepted his honorary knighthood today from a country that supressed Ireland for centuries, then waffles the following speech.

"What a great year for an Irishman to receive an award from Great Britain. The peace process has proceeded to a conclusion, debt cancellation - started in Great Britain - has put 20 million African children in school."

He didn't mention that its going to another great financial year for himself now that his company is moving abroad to avoid paying taxes in Ireland after taking advantage of years of tax breaks when he was makin 10's of millions each year.

I'm compiling a report for wikipedia, and think you can help. As the last survivor of the famine, what was it really like?

The rest of the populace arn't preaching fiscal rectitude to all and sundry while doing the exact opposite.
    Beat me to it...

MarkR wrote:
    I'm compiling a report for wikipedia, and think you can help. As the last survivor of the famine, what was it really like?
    Ask your ma ;)

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 3,783 ✭✭✭Binomate

IRA = I Ran Away.

That is all.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 27,645 ✭✭✭✭nesf

MarkR wrote:

Rofl. :)

DonJose wrote:
    Beat me to it...

ya gotta be fast;)

Binomate wrote:
    IRA = I Ran Away.

That is all.
    Are you in the right thread?

DonJose wrote:
    Ask your ma ;)

I did. She advised as she was born far after the recorded end of the famine, that it was a daft question.

She also proposed that you have a small pee pee.

MarkR wrote:
    She also proposed that you have a small pee pee.
    LOL either that or you came out sideways ;)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 27,645 ✭✭✭✭nesf

DonJose wrote:
    LOL either that or you came out sideways ;)

If you wish to continue this conversation, do it via PM, IRC or whatever.

That's ok, i'm done. In regard to bono, of course he could do more. But so could we all. He's getting appreciated by a foreign dignatary and I say good for him.

Thats fine, but don't preach to the rest of us from a high horse.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 25,243 ✭✭✭✭Jesus Wept

stovelid wrote:

Bono is an annoying tax dodger but whatever he does for charity, I don't have a problem with it.

A lot of the negitive posts are from jealous people. Bit sad. I'm not a bono/U2 fanboy (before they start there onslaught of me).

Bono is avoiding tax, not evading, your gripe should be with the tax system that has been implimented by the state, the only reason you are getting so bent out of shape about it is that you can't do it, if you could you would, if you say otherwise, you are talking sh1te, this is why you are so upset about it.

Maccattack wrote:
    Bono is a gobs****e.

Not for any other reason than for some of the stuff he says. He is a self obsessed ****€r.

But he has helped raise awareness and money for less fortunate people than himself. which is commendable. If I were in his position I would do it to. I'm glad he does it:

But I believe a lot of it is
    a) to raise his own profile
    b) to extend the life of a very average band
    c) based on his insecurity and a need to be noticed and loved which stems from having no Ma and being as tall as an Umpa Loompa.

Gibberish, he had a ma, she died. What has it to do with anything? Are you his psychologist? Umpa Loompa? You're just ranting, so he has made something of himself, get over it, you sound bitter.

Before people say I am Bono's biggest fan, or U2's, I'm not, but its ridicluas how we tear people down in this country, Bono is Bono, sure he waffles on at times, but at least he tries, his heart is in the right place, he isn't the worst in the world, and he shouldn't be ripped apart as been a gob****e/wanker/tax dodger/etc.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 27,252 ✭✭✭✭stovelid

luckat wrote:
    Bono and his... colleagues move their wealth offshore to avoid paying for his country's roads, schools, hospitals, libraries, sports fields, water, etc - and then get lots of publicity - to make themselves lots more money - through charity efforts.

I give money to charity too, but I don't tell the newspapers about it.

As for taking a British title - I'd cross the road to avoid any 'Irish' person who does this. Disgusting.

I agree with the criticism of tax dodging.

The OP said that Bono is a hypocrite. I agreed but said that whatever the motive for his largesse, at least Africans benefited.

As for the British title, I'd cross the road to avoid sanctimonious bores with no direct experience of the North that they waffle about so everybody is happy really.

• Advertisement

I don't do patronise.

Judging by your posts, I couldn't ever envisage a situation where you would be in a position to patronize?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,497 ✭✭✭✭Dragan

Hill Billy wrote:
    BTW - DonJose, JayRoc, Zebra3: Humour me - What football teams do you lads support?

JayRoc hates soccer. Oh boy does he ever. Soccer and English people!! :D

:confused:

Expand...explain... tell us what you think.??

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,949 ✭✭✭✭Zebra3

Hill Billy wrote:
    BTW - DonJose, JayRoc, Zebra3: Humour me - What football teams do you lads support?

Incapable of reading signatures?
    Binomate wrote:
    I Ran Away.

Where did you run to?

Zebra3 wrote:

Zeb, I'd have taken for a Derry City man :D

stovelid wrote:
    As for the British title, I'd cross the road to avoid sanctimonious bores with no direct experience of the North that they waffle about so everybody is happy really.

What does this gibberish mean???

What does this gibberish mean???

It means that we can't discuss Bono's tax avoidance/hypocrisy/title without the usual recourse to the security force murders/brits/famine/1916 stuff. There are plenty of threads in politics that deal with those issues.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,322 ✭✭✭Maccattack

The-Rigger wrote:
    You're just ranting, so he has made something of himself, get over it, you sound bitter.

Uh. I think you have a chip on your shoulder. There is nothing to suggest I was ranting. Just giving an opinion.

Thats allowed isnt it?

stovelid wrote:
    It means that we can't discuss Bono's tax avoidance/hypocrisy/title without the usual recourse to the security force murders/brits/famine/1916 stuff. There are plenty of threads in politics that deal with those issues.

Hmmm !!If you say so.Bone up on punctuation though.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 380 ✭✭ODS

I don't need to hear some prick bang on about injustices in the world, while then thinking its a great honour to accept a title from the head of a country that has been party to deaths of over 1/2 million in Iraq over the last 4 years.

Bono **** off; I'll never again buy a ticket to see one of your poxy concerts :mad:

• Advertisement

Hmmm !!If you say so.Bone up on punctuation though.

That's me told eh?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 25,243 ✭✭✭✭Jesus Wept

Maccattack wrote:
    Uh. I think you have a chip on your shoulder. There is nothing to suggest I was ranting. Just giving an opinion.

Thats allowed isnt it?

I don't have any chips on my shoulder, I just don't think what you have offered is very constructive.

Calling him a gob****e, a wanker, an Umpa Loompa is fairly marginal.

stovelid wrote:
    That's me told eh?

Ah sure,you know yourself;)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,001 ✭✭✭✭Flukey

I saw Bono directing traffic in Dublin once, seriously. On Hume Street, he was directing a car out of a parking spot onto the street. I think a woman was driving. It may even have been Ali Hewson. I am sure the car was taxed though.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 22,799 ✭✭✭✭The Hill Billy

Zebra3 wrote:
    Sigs turned off.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 237 ✭✭mickoo

kevmy wrote:
    Bono deserves his knighthood. If I got offered one I'd take it. Look who else got honours recently, Stevie Gerrard, Elton John and another shower of civil servants. Bono has done as much as any of these and just because he doesn't get any praise here doesn't mean he shouldn't accept it elsewhere
    Bono is not a brit so why should he get recognition of the f**cking queen-she's a cheeky vain biatch, and he's a fecking eejit. gerrard and elton i can understand-its up to the irish to honour him not the brits-U2 have never performed well in the british charts either so there not even liked in the uk-Bono and the queen can f**k off the vain a holes. :mad:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 119 ✭✭pleba

ODS wrote:
    Bono **** off; I'll never again buy a ticket to see one of your poxy concerts :mad:

i'm sure he'll have sleepness nights cos of that now! :)

Seriously though, the length of this thread (and every other thread thats ever been started about Bono), shows that love him or hate him, we all love to talk about him. As OW once said "It's better to be talked about, than not to be talked about at all"

Personally I have a level of admiration for ANYONE who gives up a large portion of their free time to help make the world a better place. People like him and others such as John O'Shea and Niall Mellon have given me the inspiration to get up off my lazy ass and do something useful.

I'm sure John O'Shea is getting well paid for what he does.

I for one, am as sympathetic as the next person towards the third world,however I dislike the hectoring approach of O'Shea in particular and don't like the attitude he seems to have, that people know nothing about certain situations except himself.

Excellent organiser he may well be,but he needs to tone down the megaphone stuff to get my support.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 28,128 ✭✭✭✭Mossy Monk

mickoo wrote:
    Bono is not a brit so why should he get recognition of the f**cking queen-she's a cheeky vain biatch, and he's a fecking eejit. gerrard and elton i can understand-its up to the irish to honour him not the brits-U2 have never performed well in the british charts either so there not even liked in the uk-Bono and the queen can f**k off the vain a holes. :mad:

LOL. Your anger amuses me.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 5,366 ✭✭✭luckat

Ireland doesn't have state honours. We're a republic, and it was a matter of pride for our founders to rule that the only honour is one's achievements.

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 24,118 Mod ✭✭✭✭robinph

mickoo wrote:
    He hasn't been given any recognition by the f**cking queen. It was the British ambassador to Ireland who made the suggestion for the award and that was then approved by Bertie who clearly agreed that some recognition for Bono was justified.

As for not doing well in the UK charts, I'm fairly sure that they have made a hell of a lot more money from record sales and shows over there than anything in Ireland which would be a pretty insignificant a market in comparison.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,300 ✭✭✭CiaranC

robinph wrote:
    He hasn't been given any recognition by the f**cking queen.
    Hes been given an honorary knighthood ffs!

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 24,118 Mod ✭✭✭✭robinph

CiaranC wrote:
    Which has bugger all to do with the queen.

robinph wrote:
    Which has bugger all to do with the queen.
    What? Are you deliberately trying to be stupid?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 458 ✭✭juliuspret

CiaranC wrote:

Actually Tony Blair decides who gets the honours.....tsh!!!!

• Advertisement

CiaranC wrote:
    Erm... yes?

Do tell me at what point Bono getting an honorary knighthood had anything to do with the queen?

Or anyone, other than her personal staff, getting a knighthood or other award for that matter except that she sometimes hands out the gongs.

The queen, as British sovereign, is the fount of honour for all honours conferred by the crown.

CiaranC wrote:
    The queen, as British sovereign, is the fount of honour for all honours conferred by the crown.
    Nice bit of historical reference there.

It still has bugger all to do with the queen when someone is awarded an honour though. She just has to do what she's told by the prime minister of the time.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 643 ✭✭✭Beelzebub

CiaranC wrote:

Apparently he perceives it to be much more than that.

He seems to thinks he's God/Jesus Christ now!:eek:

http://www.rte.ie/arts/index.html

I wonder what the Pope makes of that.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 643 ✭✭✭Beelzebub

robinph wrote:
    Nice bit of historical reference there.

It still has bugger all to do with the queen when someone is awarded an honour though. She just has to do what she's told by the prime minister of the time.

Apparently the Irish Government has a say in it as well:

http://www.britishembassy.ie/press/Press_Release_Archive/Briain_honours_Bono_dec06.htm
    (Yes they can't spell either!)

Interestingly this was slated to happen just after the new year, wonder why it took so long?

• Advertisement
This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement