Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Anyone know of any green fee specials?

• 29-03-2007 1:21pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,884 ✭✭✭

Taking next Monday off work and fancy a game of golf away from my club. Does anyone know of any Open comps next Monday or any good courses in the Leinster area that are offering special green fee rates at the moment?

Have checked gui.ie and aerlingusgolf.ie but thought that there may be something else out there?

Thanks.

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 738 ✭✭✭AndyP

Register with teetimes.ie and you will get 2 emails a week with good deals. Its probably a bit early in the year for weekday opens.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,946 ✭✭✭slumped

Carton House are running events next week for US Masters - read it in paper.

Call them.

S

• Closed Accounts Posts: 143 ✭✭delboy159

Yeah saw that carton thing - €50 a round - great value...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 369 ✭✭GreenHorn

delboy159 wrote:
    Yeah saw that carton thing - €50 a round - great value...

Great, both courses?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14,575 ✭✭✭✭FlutterinBantam

Balbriggan 25 round and breakfast before 1000

Worth a look.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 2,683 ✭✭✭heavyballs

Listen lads, forget about tee-times.ie etc, the only thing to do is to buy the open fairways book, It costs 149 euro, but as i work in Bank of Ireland we get a special discount rate 0f 80 euro, we buy two books every year between 8 of us.
    A few examples of some of the 4 4 2 offers we've availed of this year,Carton House ( both courses) for 35 each ,carlow and dunmurry springs , 25 each.
    Not all the courses listed offer half price but you can log on to their website for more info.
    Itwould suit people that can play during the week mostly as a lot of the top clubs won't let you use the offer at week ends.

Listen lads, forget about tee-times.ie etc, the only thing to do is to buy the open fairways book, It costs 149 euro, but as i work in Bank of Ireland we get a special discount rate 0f 80 euro, we buy two books every year between 8 of us.
    A few examples of some of the 4 4 2 offers we've availed of this year,Carton House ( both courses) for 35 each ,carlow and dunmurry springs , 25 each.
    Not all the courses listed offer half price but you can log on to their website for more info.
    Itwould suit people that can play during the week mostly as a lot of the top clubs won't let you use the offer at week ends.

I'm not sure the Open Fairways route is the best way to go.

To make significant savings for ordinary Joe then you have to play a lot of golf.

I don't understand why golf clubs would prostitute themselves into the Open Fairways book - 2 for 1 type offers.

They would be best served adopting the Tee Times.ie method and offering specials (even free) golf from time to time.

S

listen i'm not a salesman for open fairways but i find it very hard to understand how you can knock it. Maybe if tee-times targeted more golf clubs it would improve but at the moment the choice is very limited. Do the math, even at the full price of 149, you play both courses on Carton house for 35 each , that's a saving of 70 each(between Sep-April) , cost of the book 37.50 each after which you can throw it away or give it to a friend and you've still saved money.
    The only way it wouldn't suit someone is if they have no golf mates as it's ideal to split the cost beteen 4.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 143 ✭✭delboy159

GreenHorn wrote:
    Great, both courses?

the add said both courses.. Due to both Monty and O'Meara playing in the Masters this year (seemingly O'Meara is...).

listen i'm not a salesman for open fairways but i find it very hard to understand how you can knock it. Maybe if tee-times targeted more golf clubs it would improve but at the moment the choice is very limited. Do the math, even at the full price of 149, you play both courses on Carton house for 35 each , that's a saving of 70 each(between Sep-April) , cost of the book 37.50 each after which you can throw it away or give it to a friend and you've still saved money.
    The only way it wouldn't suit someone is if they have no golf mates as it's ideal to split the cost beteen 4.

I know what you are saying but I don't see the value in it for golf clubs.

Carton as an example would be best served offering green fees at a special rate of €60 each to everyone rather than subscribing to OF and letting them cream off the money.

S

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,792 ✭✭✭J.R.HARTLEY

anyone with half a brain would keep all options open instead of devoting all resources to one outlet.
    Open Fairways offers can have certain restrictions e.g. Howth GC no play on weekends til around 4pm after members comp, plus you get a limit on hpw many times you can use it, maybe two gos at each course, second booking normally has lesser discount than the first one, then its used til next year. keep all options open and use all offers that come your way

anyone with half a brain would keep all options open instead of devoting all resources to one outlet.

Firstly , i think you're tone stinks, secondly , as i stated previously, lump in with 3 friends the book costs less than 40 euro each, is that all your resources? Must be on the labour!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,798 ✭✭✭Mister Sifter

Firstly , i think you're tone stinks, secondly , as i stated previously, lump in with 3 friends the book costs less than 40 euro each, is that all your resources? Must be on the labour!

i used to use a similar thing back in scotland with a group of mates and it was excellent.

all depends on your circumstances, but its a great option.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,616 ✭✭✭milltown

In fairness, I didn't read that as him questioning your brainpower, rather that a clever golf club would involve itself in more than one promo.

I'm with you on the OF card. Mate of mine has one bought by his girlfriend every year and we get great use out of it. We've offered to split the cost with him but as far as he's concerned, it's bought for him and he can't use it on his own.

From a business perspective I think Teetimes makes more sense for a club. Bookings have to be paid up front and they can decide to give greater discounts to times they know the place will be quiet, though for some reason most don't seem to.

If you're looking to play weekends there's very little value on teetimes for a punter. It serves more as a booking interface for weekend golfers.

milltown wrote:

In fairness, I didn't read that as him questioning your brainpower, rather that a clever golf club would involve itself in more than one promo.
    exactly what i did mean milltown, as a subscriber to Open Fairways, i like to keep an eye on all possible options.
    as for the cost trevordavis77; its not all my resources no, you probably should have checked to see if i had it before trying to be a smartarse about it.

JR Hartley - I draw your attention to the Charter:

Personal Abuse
    - Posters who abuse others on here will be banned. Permanent bans will be handed out on a first offence if a moderator feels it is warranted. There is no argument on this one. Abuse someone and you will be banned. Calling someone an idiot is abuse. Don't attack the poster, attack the post.

You have been warned.

slumped wrote:
    JR Hartley - I draw your attention to the Charter:

Personal Abuse
    - Posters who abuse others on here will be banned. Permanent bans will be handed out on a first offence if a moderator feels it is warranted. There is no argument on this one. Abuse someone and you will be banned. Calling someone an idiot is abuse. Don't attack the poster, attack the post.

You have been warned.

Jesus... :rolleyes:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,884 ✭✭✭madds

Thanks for the replies folks.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,827 ✭✭✭fred funk }{

Open Fairways offers can have certain restrictions e.g. Howth GC no play on weekends til around 4pm after members comp, plus you get a limit on hpw many times you can use it, maybe two gos at each course, second booking normally has lesser discount than the first one, then its used til next year. keep all options open and use all offers that come your way

Where's the abuse in that?

I thought it was great advice.

madds wrote:
    Thanks for the replies folks.

Where'd ye play in the end Madds and how'd ya do?

I forgot how to play the game yesterday - miserable... :(

Hit it sideways... Tis all going wrong at the min - lots of work to do I'm afraid...

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 18 mejner

St Annes 40 euros as early bird if you book through teetime.ie

GreenHorn wrote:

I forgot how to play the game yesterday - miserable... :(

Hit it sideways... Tis all going wrong at the min - lots of work to do I'm afraid...
    don't lose heart man, probably only something small, you could go out tomorrow and play great again.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,724 ✭✭✭eoghan104

Bray GC have an offer at the moment where if a member buys green fees now for the summer its only a tenner and you dont even have to play with the member. great deal if you know any members?

don't lose heart man, probably only something small, you could go out tomorrow and play great again.

I'm not just being pessimistic to be honest - wish I was! I've had about six truly awful rounds in a row now - something's fallen into the swing and I can't figure it... Had a tin cup moment on hte 18th at Killeen on Monday... Nearly emptied the bag of any golf balls I had!

thats never a good situation, do yo uhave a friend that knows your swing, who could spend a bit of time in the range with you, maybe spot whats going wrong, its not the time of the year you want to be getting problems,its just not fair after persevereing through the wet months

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,063 ✭✭✭Adiaga 2

Silloge Park is only €12 before 10.30am mid-week. I'd guess that includes Good Friday. At that price, the best value golf in Dublin I'd say. The only thing that lets the course down is the condition of the greens(sometimes). It's a decent length for a pay-and-play course and you don't get a sense of deja vu on every second tee box.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 334 ✭✭WhatsGoingOn

madds wrote:
    Taking next Monday off work and fancy a game of golf away from my club. Does anyone know of any Open comps next Monday or any good courses in the Leinster area that are offering special green fee rates at the moment?

Have checked gui.ie and aerlingusgolf.ie but thought that there may be something else out there?

Thanks.

www.irishgreenfees.ie has a listing of open days in a lot of clubs

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,884 ✭✭✭madds

GreenHorn wrote:

Hey GreenHorn..played 18 holes at my home course. A skins match between 3 of us which is a format I don't play too often but is great craic!

Got a call from a mate of mine this morning who is bringing a few clients out tmw morning to the Monty in Carton. On the 1st tee at 8.10am. After watching the Masters on the box tonight I'll be well up for it!!

Playing quite well atm too with little or no practice been put in. Was level par for 11 holes last Sat until the wheels fell off over the last 5 holes. Finished with 38 points off 11. The previous week I signed for a nett 71 after taking a 10 on our par 4 3rd!!

Enjoy the weekend's golf all!

What d'ya know JR, ya were spot on! :)

Went for an impromptu round today even though I had decided to lay off it for a week or fortnight... Hit the ball lovely! I reckon I hit 10 good drives (incl one with an iron), 3 decent ones and just one bad one all day and was very happy with the round in gerneral... Scoring wasn't sensational but definitely the best I've hit the ball in four or five weeks...

Relieved mroe than anything.... Monday was a dark day!

• Advertisement

madds wrote:
    Hey GreenHorn..played 18 holes at my home course. A skins match between 3 of us which is a format I don't play too often but is great craic!

Skins is brilliant craic. I play it al the time and when there'd 3/4 of yis it's a great bit of skit when they build up to 6/7 or 8 skins... Keeps it interesting and if one of you is struggling they still might only need one or two good holes to take a few quid...

delighted to hear it greenhorn,to borrow a saying from football; its a funny old game isn't it.

cheers Jr - played again on Sunday and hit it even better ;)

Putted like Stevie Wonder though :rolleyes:

Advertisement