Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Digiweb broadband

Options
  • 29-03-2007 2:25pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 636 ✭✭✭

OK. So my dad wants to get digiweb broandband. We already have a 2mb eircom wireless connection but I like playing games on xbox live and I am wondering what way to go. See he can get digiweb broadband for free. Now I have a few questions about digiweb. They have two different broandband types. One that uses an existing phone line and something else. The something else seems to be fast with a 10Mb download and 2MbUp. Is this too good to be true? Also do digiweb provide wireless internet access?

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 24 Reaps

Hi NADA,
    Digiweb is pretty good and generally better than eircom. they use two types: wired DSL and Wireless broadband, the wireless BB is only wireless from the antenna on the roof to their basestation, i dont think they supply you with a wireless modem from within your house - these are generally cheep anyway. Digiweb provide a service of 8MB Download - 2MB upload which is dear, and you do get a VOIP phone service which costs nothing - works fine with Xbox.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 636 ✭✭✭NADA

Would I be able to use my netopia router to make the digiweb in my house wireless?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 24 Reaps

Is it a DSL router??

• Closed Accounts Posts: 17,208 ✭✭✭✭aidan_walsh

NADA wrote:
    Would I be able to use my netopia router to make the digiweb in my house wireless?
    Technically, you probably could, though Digiweb will likely supply you with their own one anyway.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 636 ✭✭✭NADA

Reaps wrote:
    Is it a DSL router??
    yeah I think so! no sure. At the moment it does the eircom wireless

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 374 ✭✭alanbk

NADA wrote:
    You will not be able to use the Netopia router.You will need a router with a Wan input.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,055 ✭✭✭suppafly

So my dad is thinking of getting Digiweb too. We're thinking of getting the the Metro product(3mb bb and phone). Is this service through yur phone line or is it wireless? Also is it a decent service? as with the previous poster i'm a big online gamer is my ping is a big deal :)

• Registered Users Posts: 32,417 ✭✭✭✭watty

Metro provides two phone sockets, free, so no phone line needed. It's a different kind of Wireless Broadband product. Ping is comparable to DSL. Three levels of package. Call cost for voice is competitive with eircom. See Digiweb's site for details.

You need to supply your own Ethernet WAN socketed Router (with or Without WiFi), availalbe in Argos (mis-called a cable router) or in www.komplett.ie under Routers (NOT ADSL Routers). The supplied modem has no router or wifi and contects by TV style cable / coax to the small outdoor greyish plastic box which is the radio set.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,987 ✭✭✭✭zAbbo

The Metro Broadband is a different kind of wireless broadband, I had it at my last house, and it was pretty good, excellent speeds for gaming (decent pings for XBL and PC Gaming)

The service is through a small wireless receiver in your roof, this is wired down into your house into a little box, from there you can connect your computer. Ideally you should hook up a router (like watty mentions) to expand the devices you can connect to it.

So they r a decent service then. I thought i had heard bad things about them but i guess maybe thats IBB i thinking of. That said anybody else that used have any probs? if so, how was digiweb about getting yur problem fixed? As for gaming, i get a 30-40 ping with my current 1mb eircom line. Can i expect the same if i go with Digiweb metro?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,335 ✭✭✭Cake Fiend

suppafly wrote:
    As for gaming, i get a 30-40 ping with my current 1mb eircom line. Can i expect the same if i go with Digiweb metro?

It'll depend on where you are (line of sight, signal-to-noise, etc), but if you get a solid connection it can be very fast. I'm using Metro in Rathmines, and I get 20-30ms to most Irish servers. I haven't used it for gaming in a long while, but when we first got it in, I was playing CS with 30ms to a UK server while downloading at 200KB/s.

So the service is fully wireless thn. Well i live in Cork city up in montenotte which is right up on the hill. Dunno where the digiweb signal comes from but i reckon we'd have line of sight with most things around us. Does anyone know where the digiweb signal comes from? Anyone else from cork have the metro service?

I think there might be two sites either side of Cork City on high ground.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,275 ✭✭✭Chaz

Currently in Cork from Farmer's Cross and Collins Barracks. Third site in 'design' phase.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,430 ✭✭✭gunnerfitzy

Collins Barracks site does not broadcast North so anyone in montenotte will prob need line of site to Farmers Cross, near the airport. Should be no problem. There are two masts close together on the skyline when views from Partricks Hill area and prob montenotte also. Thats where the station in Farmer's Cross is.

What r the disadvantages of having wireless bb or wired?

That question has not a simple answer in Ireland.
    There are many different Wireless systems some worse than DSL some better. You can get faster Metro and two phone connections compared with one phone and "bitstream" DSL from eircom.

But if you are close to exchange and get LLU DSL a more expensive wired package is faster than Metro.

Most people don't have a choice.

Advertisement