Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

lastmile.ie

Options
  • 29-03-2007 2:38pm
    Registered Users Posts: 995 ✭✭✭

What is the story with these people?? I emailed them with an enquiry about setting up a connection. Tried calling after a number of days but their number has been constantly engaged.

All I can find on the web is the site and a few press releases. Are they even still in business?

Would appreciate any input.

I'm trying to get Broadband set up at my parents house in South Leitrim, would like to find alternatives to Digiweb if possible.

Regards

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 32,417 ✭✭✭✭watty

What's wrong with Digiweb?
    Lastmile are a fairly small operator. It depends which mast you on and distance etc as to the quality of service.

• Registered Users Posts: 7 sinagreine

last mile are based in Athlone. They are quite a small operator and are absolutely flooded with business at the moment due to the particularly bad service Eircom offer in their area of operation.

The best way to contact them is by phone; their response on emails is not great. It can be hard to get through to them but if you try 2 or 3 times in office hours you usually get through. Contact details are on www.lastmile.ie. The best way to contact them is to call to their offices but that's easy for me to say as I live in Athlone.

I got connected to their service in January. (I live less than 5KM from the centre of Athlone and can't get DSL, but that's another story) . They went out of their way to help with my installation so once you do get contact with them, they are very good. The service is good and reliable as well, but not cheap.

By the way, have you cheked Eircom recently; my parents live in the Rooskey area (East Roscommon/South Leitrim) and their line is passing the Eircom test for the last month.

• Registered Users Posts: 995 ✭✭✭cousin_borat

Nothing wrong as such with Digiweb, I just want to find out the alternatives.

Unfortunately the Phone line fails the Eircom Test.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,660 ✭✭✭crawler

I'm all sad now :(

• Registered Users Posts: 3,886 ✭✭✭cgarvey

crawler wrote:
    I'm all sad now :(
    Me too! I still see voicmail (on Metro) is still due in the "coming weeks" (for well over a year), I have yet to get a response to any of the 3 support requests made on the support contact form of your website, or to the emails to support@digiweb.ie. Hey, we can't always be happy in life ;)

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 10,012 ✭✭✭✭thebman

We ordered from them in early February (might have been late January) and they still have not bothered to come out.

We've rang them about 3 times and have been told, someone should have called out by now and the second time which was a couple of weeks ago they told us they were upgrading their mast and it would be another month before they accept any more customers from our area which seems like BS to me as does everything we hear from the company.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 437 ✭✭OHP

I have had Lastmile BB for a long time now. And when I started with them to be honest it was not great. A ½ Meg connection still costs a small fortune. But ever since last November their service has improved a lot as in connection speed etc. for some reason. I cannot be sure but I think they are now using Wi-Max and you actually get a really good ½ Meg connection almost all the time. Funny thing is though, both my next-door neighbours on either side of me (about 25 feet away) cannot get Lastmile even though they both can see the mast it is on. Is Eircon using Wi-Max now as well?

OHP

• Registered Users Posts: 1,504 ✭✭✭viking

OHP wrote:
    I have had Lastmile BB for a long time now. And when I started with them to be honest it was not great. A ½ Meg connection still costs a small fortune. But ever since last November their service has improved a lot as in connection speed etc. for some reason. I cannot be sure but I think they are now using Wi-Max and you actually get a really good ½ Meg connection almost all the time. Funny thing is though, both my next-door neighbours on either side of me (about 25 feet away) cannot get Lastmile even though they both can see the mast it is on. Is Eircon using Wi-Max now as well?

OHP
    Have had Lastmile BB for a long time too, I did have LOS issues with trees and my speed was never up to the full 512k as a result. I got upgraded today to their Redline WiMax kit at 1Mb/512kb and the quality/speed has definitely improved (irishisptest.com proves it). Skype voice calls/VOIP are of far better quality and pings to jolt.co.uk average a respectable 65ms.

According to the contracted installer who was at my house today, they are very busy with installs every day of the week. As someone said earlier, try calling them instead as you'll probably have a better response than with email.

Viking

What was the price of the Up-grade? I average a good ping of 50 to 80 on most servers now, but some nights it can be way over 100. And what sorth oh download speeds are you getting with the upgrade? Actually I just noticed they have changed their Website as I type this.

AirMax Home*
    Speed: 1Mb/256k
    Price/month: €29.99**
    Connection: FREE until end of May
    Data Transfer: 10GB

AirMax Office*
    Speed: 1Mb/1Mb
    Price/month: €71.39
    Connection: €89.00
    Data Transfer: Unlimited***

Wireless Residential
    Speed: 512k/128k
    Price/month: €37.99
    Connection: €89.00
    Data Transfer: 10GB

Have to study this becaouse I have Wireless Residential but AirMax Home seems to be a lot better value.

OHP

• Registered Users Posts: 1,504 ✭✭✭viking

As far as I know, the Wimax network is only in a few areas atm so it may not be available to you depending where you are although they seem to be building it out. I'm in Kinnegad myself and apparently the Wimax kit was installed only this past week at the base station, I believe I'm the first customer on it.

This is the unit that replaced the previous box:

http://www.redlinecommunications.com/products/RedMAX_SUO.html

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 10,012 ✭✭✭✭thebman

Tullamore, Offaly was updated aswell as when we went to get the service they said the delay in LOS test was because they weren't accepting new subscriptions until the mast had been upgraded to Wimax.

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 1,335 Mod ✭✭✭✭croo

I notice the RedMAX kit in he link viking provides is NLOS... does that mean LOS to the their base stations is no longer a requirement? The lastmile coverage map still indicates LOS is required.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,144 ✭✭✭nilhg

The Redmax kit seems to have SIP VOIP and QOS built in, I wonder is it user configurable?

Good to see LastMile moving ahead, to be fair to them they have built a network giving coverage to many people who would have had a long wait for Eircom.

nilhg wrote:
    Good to see LastMile moving ahead, to be fair to them they have built a network giving coverage to many people who would have had a long wait for Eircom.

Have to agree with you there. But my only concern now is when am I going to get double my connection speed for €8.00 less than I am already paying now ;) Viking can you let us know if your connection/download speed/ping times etc. stay the same or not when more people join please?

OHP

Advertisement