Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

If pork is white meat.....

• 29-03-2007 2:59pm
    Registered Users Posts: 659 ✭✭✭

then does that mean ham is white meat?

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,139 ✭✭✭olaola

From Wiki:

"The exact definition of white meat varies by time, place, and culture, but domestic chicken and rabbit are invariably considered "white", while the meat of adult mammals, such as beef, mutton, and horse is invariably considered "red". The meat of young mammals such as veal and milk-fed lamb, and that of pork is traditionally considered "white"; while the meat of duck and goose is considered "red",[1] though the demarcation line may be changing. Game is sometimes put in a separate category altogether (French viandes noires 'black meats').[2]"

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/White_meat

• Registered Users Posts: 659 ✭✭✭Chunks

so technically ham is white meat if the pig died young whereas its red if it died old. I wonder what age the pig was in my sandwich at lunch...

surprisingly, ive sparked a debate in the office here over the whole thing. 50% claiming red and the other claiming white. It's getting a bit unruly.

and the vegetarians have now just waded in on the side of the veal calf!......any bloody excuse for them to kick off!;)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16,165 ✭✭✭✭brianthebard

Veal calves aren't kept in cages any more and live longer than lambs. Tell them that, but of course, they'll start complaining about the treatment of lambs then...never happy!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,139 ✭✭✭olaola

Better not mention Fois Gras then...

droooooooool :)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,443 ✭✭✭✭bonkey

I must say, its one thing that has always irked me about these various "food pyramids" and so forth which make a distinction between red and white meat, but don't bother to acknowledge that such a distinction is far from definitive.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 16,165 ✭✭✭✭brianthebard

That's the only problem you see with it??? The whole food pyramid idea is fundamentally flawed man!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 799 ✭✭✭Schlemm

Nah, foie gras isn't the nicest thing I have to say...

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,443 ✭✭✭✭bonkey

That's the only problem you see with it??? The whole food pyramid idea is fundamentally flawed man!

You missed the "and so forth".

I have seen no end of stuff which discusses what is and is not healthy in terms of what you eat and how much of it you should eat that differentiates between "red" and "white" meat.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,068 ✭✭✭Magic Monkey

The original FDA Food Pyrmaid has since been replaced, re-tiered and re-labeled "MyPyramid"

Advertisement