Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

Keep a watchful eye

Options
  • 29-03-2007 3:21pm
    Registered Users Posts: 17,819 ✭✭✭✭

Assume for a minute that you're driving along in traffic on a normal single carriageway road. You do not intend to overtake or turn off or change lanes, you're just driving along, straight ahead, like all the others.

What do you focus on?

What do you keep your attention on? 40 votes

the car in front, occasional glance in the RV mirror
    0% 0 votes
    3-4 cars ahead and the RV mirror
    7% 3 votes
    3-4 cars ahead, RV mirror and oncoming traffic
    5% 2 votes
    All the traffic (incl side roads) ahead and behind
    15% 6 votes
    the car in front, that's what really matters
    72% 29 votes

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 22,815 ✭✭✭✭Anan1

I don't focus on any one thing, my eyes are always on the move! Road ahead (not just the back of the car in front), side roads or anywhere else things or people could pop out from, mirrors, instruments. Also occasionally the sky. ;-)

• Registered Users Posts: 6,315 ✭✭✭ballooba

As above.

• Registered Users Posts: 896 ✭✭✭nialler

the girl in front of me doing her makeup in the vanity mirror and brushing her hair at 80kph meanwhile I'm hitting the brakes putting as much distance between us as possible.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,676 ✭✭✭ArphaRima

Your eyes shouldnt be focusing on anything. It's a repetitive scan.

• Registered Users Posts: 16,164 ✭✭✭✭Pherekydes

No option for speedo watching? :rolleyes:

What most of the others said. Everything and nothing. At the same time, of course.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 88,978 ✭✭✭✭mike65

Quite so, the rear mirrors get a glance 2-3 times a minute in open road traffic, forwards vision is flicking here there and everywhere.

Mike.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,389 ✭✭✭✭Saruman

Everything. There are a number of reasons i do this. Safety is the obvious one. I like to know in advance if something is going to happen rather than relying on the person in front of me.
    I also like to know where traffic is so if there is an emergency and i need to move out of the way in a hurry i can do so without hitting someone, and only run the risk of someone else trying to do the same thing and hit them instead :D

You forgot the scantily clad women wearing clothes that would make your grandmother cry :D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,335 ✭✭✭rugbug86

road, side mirrors, RV mirror, speedo continuous loop

• Registered Users Posts: 6,236 ✭✭✭Idleater

rugbug86 wrote:
    road, side mirrors, RV mirror, speedo continuous loop

I use my peripheral vision to scan the instruments.

And the poll doesn't allow one to combine the mirrors and "All the traffic (incl side roads) ahead and behind"

Which basically equates to "everything".

There are plenty of other things to keep an eye on. For example ESB posts in the distance (indicate road direction or other roads joining), Houses (indicate the direction of the road, may have exiting traffic), Combine Harvester in a field (may indicate heavily laden trucks), etc etc etc.

There are so many things that "can mean something" that you can't consciously think of them all. This is the "experience" that we build each time we take to the roads as part of our continuous learning.

L.

Advertisement