Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

Changing the car, how long do you wait?

Options
  • 29-03-2007 4:25pm
    Registered Users Posts: 3,570 ✭✭✭

I was just spurred on by Tom F's post about the the good home wanted for the two old cars. I started thinking about my own cars. I generally hold onto mine for about 7 years, I find it difficult to let go. In fact I normally hold on to my previous car for a good long while after I have purchased the next car.
    I get kind of attached to them, but then once I have the new one the old one seems to wain in importance. I have never traded in a car, ever. Only realised that now! The only brand new car I had was company car (a Discovery).
    A friend of mine is changing every 6 months. he is convinced there is something wrong with me.
    In general how long do you hold on to your car before changing?

How long do you keep your car before changing? 42 votes

Less than 1 Year
    2% 1 vote
    2-3 Years
    16% 7 votes
    3-5 years
    45% 19 votes
    5-10 years
    23% 10 votes
    Greater than 10 years
    11% 5 votes

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 7,441 ✭✭✭JoeA3

I've never kept one longer than 3 years yet. I guess I get bored of whatever I have by that time. Many of my buddies would be more like yourself, and would think I'm mad!

• Registered Users Posts: 7,686 ✭✭✭whippet

I would be three years max .. like JoeA3 I get somewhat bored and change !!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,091 ✭✭✭Biro

Every 6 months? Why? What sort of punishment does he inflict on them to warrant that frequent of a change?

• Registered Users Posts: 3,570 ✭✭✭rebel.ranter

Biro wrote:
    Every 6 months? Why? What sort of punishment does he inflict on them to warrant that frequent of a change?

Yea you're right, they do suffer puinishment. They start out as really nice cars & end up lke they have gone through a war zone!! Strangely lately he has taken to hanging on to this awful Toyota Supra with a broken bumper (it's been repaired about 10 times, without exaggeration). The funny thing is that he loves it but it is definitely the worst car he has ever bought. Unanimously agreed by all that know him. Not that I have anyhting against Supras or anything, it's just this particular one.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,249 ✭✭✭✭Kinetic^

I'd hate to see the damage it's doing to his wallet ass well!!!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,250 ✭✭✭Elessar

Kenny 5 wrote:
    wallet ass well!!!

LOL, where can I get me one of these wallet ass wells? :D

I have my polo since september, and I desperatly want to change to a BMW soon. Mainly because I want a bigger, more powerful car with all the trimmings.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 7,212 Mod ✭✭✭✭charlieIRL

i used to change my car every years but had the last one nearly 4 years. Change the bike every 2 years though.

Kenny 5 wrote:
    I'd hate to see the damage it's doing to his wallet ass well!!!
    Yea that's the funny bit, he bought another car (won't say what type, don't want to identify him too obviously) (while still in possession of the the Supra) for €14k then subsequently sold it back to the guy he bought it from 8 months later for €9k!!! Scary stuff!!
    And his ass is starting to swell too:D

• Registered Users Posts: 65,382 ✭✭✭✭unkel
    Chauffe, Marcel, chauffe!

I've owned one car for just about 2.5 years, all other cars for just over 3 years. I'll probably keep my current car for longer than that. Voted 3-5 years

• Registered Users Posts: 7,496 ✭✭✭quarryman

at the rate I'm going, once every 9 months-ish.

I just get bored and see shinier cars passing me "I want one of them".

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 45,767 ✭✭✭✭Mitch Connor

i've only had a car for about 9 months now, but i am looking to change already. I think,once i get a car that i actually want, i would keep it for 3 to 4 years, maybe longer depending on finance and what i could buy after that time.

• Registered Users Posts: 28,861 ✭✭✭✭_Kaiser_

I'm on my 3rd car in 2 years myself.

Legitimate reasons though. The first (Mitsubishi Mirage hatchback) was deemed "not economical to repair" after a woman in a Volvo pulled out in front of me on the N3 one morning. Luckily no-one was hurt, and she accepted full responsibility, but while her car didn't even have a dent (damn Volvo's! :D), my whole front-end was wrecked.

Anyway, bought the Coupe version after this and had it for almost a year, until last August when I moved up to my current VW Passat, as I do a lot of mileage for work and needed a bigger, diesel car that is better able for it (and the crap roads in Meath).

I plan to hold onto this one for a few years though.. I do love my beautiful black baby! :)

• Registered Users Posts: 51,239 ✭✭✭✭bazz26

I voted 3 - 5 years.

I used to change my car every 2 years as I did a bit of mileage and wanted to trade them while they were still worth a bit of money. I bought my current car new 4 years ago and will probably keep it for another year at least. With over 130k miles on the clock now it is more valuable to me than it is to try and trade in or sell privately. As long as it doesn't start causing me hassel or costing me money I'm in no hurry to part with it.

True though, it is amazing how you can become attached to a piece of metal on 4 wheels irrespective of what shape or form it comes in.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,819 ✭✭✭✭peasant

I'm desperately trying to find fault with my old Jimny.
    But I can't :cool:

Driving it for four years now and it hasn't caused me any hassle whatsoever.
    Every now and then, something shinyer and bigger grabs my attention ...but then I do my sums and pros and cons ...and I just can't justify giving the old thing the boot.

I'll probably be stuck with it until it starts costing real money ...or until I win the lotto and needn't worry about the cost and pointlessness of running a bigger car.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,502 ✭✭✭✭fits

every 6 months, cos I'm flash:D

I bought current car for €500 last July and while engine is still going strong, everything else is going to pieces so we're going to cut our losses and stick the engine into our camper van, and the car is going into the scrapheap. All of my cars so far have been bangers actually. I'm going to spend my SSIA on the next one.

• Registered Users Posts: 375 ✭✭curiosity

Golly I'm the first and only so far to vote ten years and over! I was left my first car by a relative when I was 22 (a 1993 Golf) and the car was over ten years old by the time I was working part time and debt free. I couldn't stomach ditching her at that stage, for financial and sentimental reasons. Buying a brand new car, waste of money, buying used, trust issues! Then last November a work colleague put her 2003 Focus Zetec up for sale. I'd always admired her wheels,so the deal was done pretty quickly, minimum hassle for us both!

Just like the OP, I kept the old car though. The Focus spent most of the winter at the back of the drive, I still trusted the old banger more on those dark frosty winter mornings. Then a few weeks ago I was driving through town on a nice sunny afternoon, thinking "hmmm, would be nice if I had the Focus under my ass instead of the Golf with the keep-fit windows". Two days later the gearbox went! So it's probably the scrapyard for the Golf. Tbh I couldn't have faced selling her to anyone.

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 9,763 Mod ✭✭✭✭ToxicPaddy

Due to circumstances I bought my current car in 99 as I had just had an
    accident in my old one and needed one quick.. however 140k miles later and she
    is still going strong and I'm reluctant to part with her.. Add to the fact that its
    parked in the drive 4 days a week.. I cant see the sense in buying a flash new
    car only for it to rust away not being used..

So I'll stick with mine for the time being even though I've been ogling various
    other nice cars in the last while.. and I soooooooooooooooo want one but
    common sense always prevails.. damn it :D

• Registered Users Posts: 21,256 ✭✭✭✭Eoin

There's no 1-2 years option, which is what I would have picked. When I got my current car I was convinced this would be the one I would be holding on to, but sure enough, less than a year on, my beady eye is looking at the market. Decided not to sell it in the end, as I do like my car. I'm just too impulsive.

eoin_s wrote:
    There's no 1-2 years option, which is what I would have picked.
    Sorry about that!
    It seems that anyne holding onto a car for more than 5 years is a rare breed. I suppose there are even more extremes. Think of that fellow in Finland with the VW panel vans ,holding onto them for so long. It wouldn't be so bad if they were desirable classic/vintage cars at the time of purchase. It is the equivalent of buying a Hiace and putting it in storage!! Can you imagine doing it!!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,173 ✭✭✭overdriver

Why is there no "Til I kill it, however long that takes!" option? :D
    No pleasing everyone, OP!

• Advertisement
Advertisement