Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Online gaming in ul??

Options
  • 29-03-2007 4:42pm
    Registered Users Posts: 4,658 ✭✭✭

Ok basicly going up to ul in september, wondering what the story is with online gaming. Is it possible to play stuff like counterstrike or is it restricted? If it is, is there ways around it and whatnot?

Comments

• Moderators, Arts Moderators Posts: 10,518 Mod ✭✭✭✭5uspect

On campus, the internet is heavily firewalled so basically the answer is no.
    If you stay off campus then your options improve.
    There are private Student Villages with BB connections like Brookfield and Courtyard Student Village that AFAIK are both unfirewalled (but may have a DL limit) and since the opening of these quite nice places lots of private rented houses in the area have tried to compete by offering BB also.

There's also wireless BB about so you may be able to get this where you're staying if your landlord doesn't mind you putting up the antenna.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,658 ✭✭✭Patricide

Staying in thomannd so looks like my prospects dont look good, any known proxys to get around this?

nope, you can port forward to get your steam updates (very slowly) but thats it apart from LAN games which you should be able to get going with enough interest.

darnst.........darnst them all to hell. I take it its gonna be the exact same thing with torrents(legal). O well thanks for the reply.

torrents won't work either, but rapidshare works fine.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 23 meanturtle

torrents do work :P

I've heard rumours but nothing substantial about torrents.
    Also OP there is a Games Society in UL that may be useful, they're called Gsoc.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,778 ✭✭✭sebastianlieken

yeah...the proxy is a right pain in the hole!

torrents don't work on campus actually (they're not supposed to anyway), but as always there are loopholes and backdoors...hahaha, with macs (osx) it can be done if u know wat ur at, theres jus a complicated way of settin it up, but it does work (and ITD couldnt give a flying f*** if you manahe to get it working...you may download stuff till ur hearts content). all the guys i know with 0SX have torrents working.

windows on the other hand deals with 'tunneling' the connection or sumthin like that (somethin i do not understand) completely different. seemingly you can pay for a tunneling program somewhere to get thru the proxy to get ur torrents working.

as far as gaming is concerned, you might be able to play on the dromroe server (where i am), as i know of about 8 guys who play css on the lan quite a bit.

if you wanna know more about the OSX thing or Tunneling thing or Dromroe thing, leave another thread with ur msn or sumthin and ill find out the exact detail

windows lappy but thanks a shed load anyway might look into that tunnelin service next year...

• Registered Users Posts: 74 ✭✭missgwish

you can use sharescan to get movies and music and stuff, i wasn't too fond of living on campus tbh! at least you aint in plassey! *rolls eyes*

• Advertisement

check out yourfreedom.net for tunnelling software. The free service is sh1t slow but the speed ups the more you pay. You'll also need SOCKSCAP to run this.
    Using the free service I was able to get steam to connect for painfully slow updates but it wouldn't connect to the games servers.

Basically it works by diverting the blocked traffic through port 80 (or any open port) to the servers of the company. They then redirect the traffic to its destination on the correct port and essentially act as a middle man for you to bounce your blocked port traffic off. Alternatively if you know someone living off campus with BB you can use their connection as a port forwarder AFAIK.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,922 ✭✭✭Dave

yeah...the proxy is a right pain in the hole!

torrents don't work on campus actually (they're not supposed to anyway),

*cough*

• Registered Users Posts: 1,778 ✭✭✭sebastianlieken

ya dave, i was merely remarking that they are not "supposed" to work, i know there are ways around it...if you would have read on maybe!...

Advertisement