Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Memory compatability question (n00b!)

Options
  • 29-03-2007 5:18pm
    Registered Users Posts: 1,579 ✭✭✭

Hi,
    I am looking at buying a pc that has 2 * 512Mb of DDR2 533Mhz memory in it...no more detail than that is available.

In order to upgrade it to 2Gb do I just look for DDR2 533Mhz memory? will all memory of this type be compatible?

Assuming the slots are available will it be OK to have two simms with 512Mb and one simm with 1Gb? or do they all need to be the same capacity/size?

Finally, how many slots would you normally expect on a Dell dimension board? I am hoping four ;)

Thanks.

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 36,634 ✭✭✭✭Ruu_Old

What is the model number of the Dell Dimension?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,579 ✭✭✭Sconsey

Ruu wrote:
    What is the model number of the Dell Dimension?

Dimension E520 Pentium D 925 Processor Dual Core (3.00Ghz, 800Mhz FSB, 2x2MB cache

I was looking at this memory to upgrade with....
    OCZ Value DDR2 SO-DIMM PC4200 1024MB, 533Mhz, 200pin, 1,8V, CL 4-4-4-8

Thanks

• Closed Accounts Posts: 36,634 ✭✭✭✭Ruu_Old

Slightly cheaper here (I can't tell you the difference, maybe someone else can help you there), there is a note there about it having to be installed in pairs. Try Crucial.com/eu also for memory.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,757 ✭✭✭8T8

The service manual for the E520 indicates it has 4 slots and supports up to a maximum of 1GB per slot.

So yes you can mix 2x512MB and 2x1GB DIMM's though putting in an odd number like a single 1GB module will disable dual channel mode and impede performance so always use pairs.

As for compatibility Dell use generic RAM don't bother with anything fancy like the OCZ (which the one you picked is also a SO-DIMM for laptops not desktops) just get Crucial pack instead consisting of 2x512MB so with all 4 DIMM's you will have 2GB in total.

Advertisement