Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

2 sims 1 phone number

• 29-03-2007 5:21pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 2

Is it possible to have 2 sims with the one number, My mobile on the car cradle is very awkard to remove so I was wondering if I could have the same number on another phone for when I was out of the car. They would not be used at the same time or anything. I'm sure I could get call forwarding but in Rip Off Ireland that would be not desireable.

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,784 ✭✭✭Urban Weigl

Vodafone only charges 15 cent for call forwarding. That's a flat fee, it doesn't matter if the call is 1, 10 minutes or 100 minutes long.

I know in other countries mobile operators offer this service -- you get 2 SIM cards, both with the same number. They both go on the same bill, and if you get called, both ring at the same time. I don't know if any Irish operator offers this service yet.

You can see the charge here:
    http://www.vodafone.ie/readytogo/tariffs/othercharges/index.jsp

Of course this is assuming you're with Vodafone. You didn't say which operator you were with, or if you would be willing to switch.

Basically:
    Call diverts to Voicemail are FREE, and call diverts to other numbers (must be standard Irish mobile or landline numbers) cost 15 cents per divert.

I'm trying to find out how much this costs with O2.

Hmm. I think with O2 you have to pay standard rates, at least I wasn't able to find anything on their web site, so it looks like you'd have to switch to Vodafone if you want to get redirects at an affordable cost.

No matter who you're with, I recommend calling your provider to check details, and also check if you can get a dual SIM with the same number on each card.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,244 ✭✭✭drdre

I never got charged for call forwarding, im on the o2 network.

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 6,525 Mod ✭✭✭✭sharkman

Yes its possible , I currently have 3 numbers on my Sim .

http://www.sim-max.com/

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 8,244 ✭✭✭drdre

sharkman wrote:
    Yes its possible , I currently have 3 numbers on my Sim .

http://www.sim-max.com/

Wow i never knew this.Its a good idea.
    So sharkman how does it work, are the 3 numbers on all the time or do you have to switch between them?
    Also how much did it cost?

• Subscribers Posts: 16,592 ✭✭✭✭copacetic

would be interested in that info too sharkman, are all numbers on same network? Just got a voda mobile from work and have a meteor billpay. Could that be done on one sim? Or if I switched own phone to voda would they give me a dual number sim that would automatically take calls to both numbers?

Well I have two O2 and a Vodafone number on the one sim . Only one is live at a time , once installed you get and extra menue item "STK" , you go in and can switch between numbers ..

Another great advantage is that you can edit the operator logo , So instead of having O2 or Vodafone you can have nothing at all or whatever you want .

sharkman wrote:
    Well I have two O2 and a Vodafone number on the one sim . Only one is live at a time , once installed you get and extra menue item "STK" , you go in and can switch between numbers ..

Another great advantage is that you can edit the operator logo , So instead of having O2 or Vodafone you can have nothing at all or whatever you want .

ah well, not much good to me as need both active at same time.

editing the operator logo doesn't seem much good to me either, I have already put blank ones on both phones.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 716 ✭✭✭JohnnieM

copacetic wrote:

In that case..You will have to re direct the second sims calls to your clone..
    By the way with sim cloning you can NEVER have both cloned sims active at the same time ..(which phone will the network let ring?both?) they'd cut you off in a second if they thought you were cloned..and that's how they find out when they see you registered in two places at the same time..

• Advertisement

JohnnieM wrote:
    copacetic wrote:

In that case..You will have to re direct the second sims calls to your clone..
    By the way with sim cloning you can NEVER have both cloned sims active at the same time ..(which phone will the network let ring?both?) they'd cut you off in a second if they thought you were cloned..and that's how they find out when they see you registered in two places at the same time..

Some mobile operators will actually supply you with 2 cloned SIM's, and both WILL ring at the same time. However, I don't believe any Irish ones do. Forwarding is the way to go in that case. Like I said, with Voda it costs 15 cents per call, so unless you're getting tons of calls, it's affordable enough.

Some mobile operators will actually supply you with 2 cloned SIM's, and both WILL ring at the same time. However, I don't believe any Irish ones do. Forwarding is the way to go in that case. Like I said, with Voda it costs 15 cents per call, so unless you're getting tons of calls, it's affordable enough.

interesting, I understand that voda offers the dual number sims in some countries?

I guess I could forward my work mobile calls to my meteor mobile during the day which would mean I'd still have my mobile for incoming calls. However this would mess me up for making work calls during the day. I don't travel very much but the location I work is very large so I have a mobile instead of a desk phone as am seldom at my desk, the mobile calls internally are free I think and you can dial extensions from the mobile so it is handy. I just want to find a solution that means I don't have to carry 2 mobiles around all day..

Do meteor offer the same service? I guess I could forward personal to work during the day. This would add up quite quickly though, even if only 7 or 8 calls a day you are getting up to 25-30 a month which is pretty damn steep.
    Assuming they charge around what voda do..

hmmm, will look into it more..

edit: well that won't work for meteor anyway, looks like the charge the full cost of the entire forwarded call? Seems off.

"All calls forwarded to Voicemail are free of charge, where as calls forwarded to other numbers will be charged at the normal rate for that call"

So far we appear to have ascertained that:

1. Vodafone charge a flat fee of 15 cents for each forwarded call.
    2. O2 don't charge anything at all (a customer of theirs said so, and I can't find any pricing on the web site to contradict this).
    3. Meteor are the most expensive, they actually charge the full rate of the call, even though they're already pocketing the termination fee! Double dipping!

So far we appear to have ascertained that:

1. Vodafone charge a flat fee of 15 cents for each forwarded call.
    2. O2 don't charge anything at all (a customer of theirs said so, and I can't find any pricing on the web site to contradict this).
    3. Meteor are the most expensive, they actually charge the full rate of the call, even though they're already pocketing the termination fee! Double dipping!

actual O2 appear to be the same as meteor:

"There is no charge for diverting calls to O2 Voicemail, although you will pay your standard call costs for diverting calls to other numbers"

from

http://www.o2online.ie/wps/wcm/connect/O2/Home/Personal/Services/Calling+%26+Voicemail/Manage%20your%20calls

So the customer who said so will be in for a nasty surprise when he receives his next bill. :)

So the customer who said so will be in for a nasty surprise when he receives his next bill. :)

damn right! voda seems by far the best but I would still end up with a big bill their way..

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,201 ✭✭✭quintron

The sim-clone sharkman linked to doesn't support 3G it seems.. correct?
    If it did could you have a 3 data and voda to switch between?
    Probably not.. just thinking (hoping) aloud. :)

It does support 3G , well mne does on both Voda and O2 .

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,626 ✭✭✭timmywex

how much does the two numbers system cost to set up with the equipment??

where do you get the thing??

what phones can you use them on?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 19,080 ✭✭✭✭Random

The OP wants 2 SIMs with the same number on each while people are offering ways to put 2 numbers on 1 SIM. Somethings wrong here?

• Advertisement

ciaranfo wrote:
    The OP wants 2 SIMs with the same number on each while people are offering ways to put 2 numbers on 1 SIM. Somethings wrong here?

well thats what the thread turned into, I may have helped bring it onto the new topic, but it is pretty clear from the thread how it came about.

ciaranfo wrote:

I think you missed the point of my post on the sim-max , You clone your sim , therefore you have two ..

Two Sims One Number ;)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 246 ✭✭GUIGuy

Having multiple accounts/sims on one phone makes perfect sense (especially if you travel). I asked a vodafone sales rep in Grafton street & he said they do it for business customers only... but then again 3 minutes later he went on to tell me that windows 98 was the predecessor to Windows Mobile 5!:rolleyes: I doubt Irish operators would be into it though. Quite common in Asia though... you can even get phones with multiple sim bays.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,626 ✭✭✭timmywex

wait,

when you have two sims in your phone, can they both be active at the same time??

timmywex wrote:
    wait,

when you have two sims in your phone, can they both be active at the same time??

NO !

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,201 ✭✭✭quintron

^^ lol... s p e l l i t o u t....

• Registered Users Posts: 33 metalmonk

Sharkman,

How old are the sims that you cloned? I thought that these type of products only worked with SIMs that use an old encryption algorithm that has been cracked. Any idea if SIM-MAX works with new SIMs from any of the Irish operators?

• Registered Users Posts: 60 ✭✭Cat5

any sim after comp 128 cannot currently be cloned... these would be any vodafone sim from 32k on and all o2 sims beginning with 893530206.

Both my number start with 815---- . And I have 3G coverage on both when using my K800i .

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 60 ✭✭Cat5

That would be sim number not phone number

Advertisement