Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Not buying from the golf shops

• 29-03-2007 5:23pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 384 ✭✭

When it came to buying golf equipment I had always assumed that it would make better sense to buy from the big outlets rather than a pro in a golf shop.
    I remember asking my da a good while ago and he said he tended to buy from our club golf shop - support your local sheriff idea.
    So I followed up on this and got a set of Mizuno Irons maybe 3 years ago for €740. When my friend went to buy the same set in McGuirks a few months later he was quoted €850 (they eventually matched the price).

I had bought a Titleist driver (can't remember model 973VJS or thereabouts) and the face cracked. No problem - the pro got it replaced (I hadn't even bought it off him).

Right now I want a particular Cobra Driver. I went to a couple of shops close to me just to see what it looked like and they offered to get it in for me as it wasn't in stock. I then asked my pro to order it in and he finds out that the one I wanted is about to be replaced by a new model (nobody in the shops told me) and he has ordered me the new one instead.

I know not all people on this forum are club members but it should be an option to consider the club shops. After all I assume overheads are lower in the club shops(I assume there is no rent or bills to pay).

Anyway just my thought for the week.

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,946 ✭✭✭slumped

I know for a fact that the PGA do not like these big stores and would prefer that club members supported their local pro.

I know the retail cost of buying clubs and pros do themselves no favours by selling products with huge mark up.

Take Pro V1 golf balls - the retail cost of these are just €46 inc VAT and places like McGuirks etc sell them at €50 - not a huge mark up.

But find a pro shop in a golf club that sells them at that price - it does not happen all that often.

You should support your local club pro - but only if they give you a fair deal. And if they don't give you a fair price - haggle with them and give them the opportunity to quote you happy!

S

• Closed Accounts Posts: 369 ✭✭GreenHorn

Agreed, it's a very "Oirish" mentality this 'Support your Local' thing... Usually they're the worst value! I saw a golf pro recently with new Ping G5s for €349!! Despite the fact there's a whole new Ping range out now... I paid €240 for mine with my old driver (which was worth about 30quid!) exactly a year ago...

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 384 ✭✭badbrian

Agreed it does vary from pro shop to pro shop. And you reminded that I do buy my balls (Srixon) in the bigger stores (far too wayward to be playing with dem Fancy ProV s).

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,616 ✭✭✭milltown

TBH I'd trust a club pro's opinion on which gear I should buy as much as I would a fully endorsed tour player. Maybe it's just my limited experience but I see a pro with his Callaway irons, driver, bag, umbrella, jumper, cap and trousers (and Odyssey putter probably) and think he's about as likely to push me toward a cheaper but better suited Ping driver as Tiger Woods is to say "those Taylor Made drivers rawk!"

My sister went out with a guy who used to work for the European tour and it was insane the amount of gear that you or I couldn't afford that was dished out as sweeteners by the big brands. Sadly the guy was english so it never once crossed his mind to spread the wealth, even though the attic in my mother's house was half full, at one stage, of this booty that he couldn't use all of if he lived to be 150.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 369 ✭✭GreenHorn

milltown wrote:

My sister went out with a guy who used to work for the European tour and it was insane the amount of gear that you or I couldn't afford that was dished out as sweeteners by the big brands. Sadly the guy was english so it never once crossed his mind to spread the wealth, even though the attic in my mother's house was half full, at one stage, of this booty that he couldn't use all of if he lived to be 150.

You're too soft Milltown - if it's in your mother's place, it's fair game! I'd half filled up me bag with different clubs every week! :)

• Advertisement
Advertisement