Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Teaching using technology

Options
  • 29-03-2007 5:42pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 243 ✭✭

Just curious about how other teachers use technology in the classroom for teaching regular subjects - say Maths, Science, Geography, History, Languages etc
    Are your schools at the leading edge - do you have interactive whiteboards, data projectors and computers in your classroom, internet connections etc
    Do you actually use the technology regularly and is there any killer application for the technology - something that you couldn't achieve with just acetates and an overhead projector?
    I only have access to computer/data projector in the computer room, so I don't use them a lot. When I do use them, i mostly use powerpoint presentations and put together html pages to add to the school intranet.
    As everyone here is obviously computer literate they would be able to use appropriate technology if they had it - so what are your experiences?

Comments

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Education Moderators Posts: 27,222 CMod ✭✭✭✭spurious

I teach in an inner city vocational school. We have many data projectors and a wireless network. We use a lot of individual laptops in classrooms with weaker students. They are left over from the laptop initiative.

We looked at interactive whiteboards but the cost at the moment is not worth it, considering all the stuff you could buy for the same price.

I use the Net a fair bit in my classroom ( JC ESS - Environmental and Social Studies - it's an integrated way of teaching History and Geography) - I use it more for the kids to research stuff themselves than for presentation purposes, though I know other teachers use a lot of Powerpoint and encourage the kids to make presentations of their work using that too. I would like to get a projector of my own soon, though I have easy enough access to one of the dedicated rooms ('cinema' type rooms) on my corridor.

The use of IT is limited by an individual teacher's abilities obviously, but I think we've achieved a nice balance in our school. We're having an IT training day soon which should lead to the usual hilarity as some members of staff try to use a mouse.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,517 ✭✭✭✭TheDriver

we have computers in each classroom, data projectors in good few, 40" lcd tv in some rooms, full network for students and seperate one for staff, parents can log on to childs results and live attendance via internet and online system passwork protected for notes. And we are a country VEC school by the way!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 92 ✭✭ballinasloe

We use a selection of Open Source SOftware in our school.

It's all free, no silly licences and there's some great programs out there.

Myself and a numbe rof other teachers in our school are going to do one of the Online Summer Courses to learn a little more about Free Software.

Might be of interets to you...link

• Registered Users Posts: 2,746 ✭✭✭Drag00n79

Working in Mayo. While I have a Digi Projector and a laptop the school has just two others and some teachers have bought their own laptops. Management not putting enough money into it, sadly.

• Registered Users Posts: 686 ✭✭✭kittex

Bizarrely, I'm in the opposite situation, as in trying to remove ICT from my teaching.

I have been teaching for 2 years using ICT heavily in variety of ways in my lessons. I have just been offered a job in a school that only has blackboards!

After some mild panicking, I figure I'll adapt. There are many things made easier by technology, especially AiFl strategies and working with lower ability pupils - but I am relishing the challenge of trying these things manually.
    Lots of coloured paper and markers methinks.

If given the choice, my perfect classroom would have:
    Large Smartboard
    Computer with DVD drive
    Data projector
    At least 15 pupil PCs around the sides
    All linked together on a mini-network controlled by the teacher's PC.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 500 ✭✭✭slickmcvic

congrats on the new job kittex...is it in Irl??..

• Closed Accounts Posts: 243 ✭✭vallo

kittex wrote:
    If given the choice, my perfect classroom would have:
    Large Smartboard
    Computer with DVD drive
    Data projector
    At least 15 pupil PCs around the sides
    All linked together on a mini-network controlled by the teacher's PC.
    I'm the opposite. I've had only a blackboard for years and am now faced with more technology in a new school.
    I can see the use for a computer + data projector, preferably with internet access but I really don't want all the rest.
    Is the smartboard really useful? It just seems like such a gimmick ... handy for the one or two things it comes pre-programmed with (like an interactive diagram of a heart) but I can't see myself using one everyday. You can get so much cool stuff on-line, I just can't see the point of the interactive smartboard.
    Also, I'll be teaching secondary students - I would imagine it might be better suited to younger students.

I'm secondary English and it's fantasically useful for all age groups and abilities. It is a normal board when you want it to be and an interactive board when you like. You can pick and choose what is appropiate for you lesson.

If you take a modern approach, you should be meeting learning styles, modelling work and enabling pupils to use multiples intelligences - it allows that with little fuss.

Thanks for the answer kittex. But I'm still a non-believer when it comes to the smartboard.
    kittex wrote:
    If you take a modern approach, you should be meeting learning styles, modelling work and enabling pupils to use multiples intelligences - it allows that with little fuss.

That just sounds kinda ... well ... like something I learned on my Dip ... a bit vague.

Let me give you an example. In science, we learn the heart. I did up a nice set of overhead slides - a picture of the heart a few years ago, traced out of a book. I overlay a couple of sheets on it, one to show blood flow, one to show labels etc .It always goes down well and the kids learn what they need. We dissect a heart, they draw a heart, we run around the classroom to get the heart pumping faster, see how long it takes to slow down etc etc .. Now the interactive board will replace my diagrams (except some extra parts of the heart that aren't on the curriculum are labelled too) and the students will be able to approach the board and using the magic pens, they can slide the aorta label to the right place and sit down well pleased with themselves.

So is that it? What is the key thing that the interactive whiteboard can achieve that a computer, internet downloads, data projector, OHP, blackboard cannot?

vallo wrote:
    Thanks for the answer kittex. But I'm still a non-believer when it comes to the smartboard.

That just sounds kinda ... well ... like something I learned on my Dip ... a bit vague.

I'll ignore the patronising tone of that comment.
    If you're cynical about the science of how people learn then, well, I can't really explain or rationalise it any further. But using teaching strategies which incorporates these multiple intelligences has been proven to increase subject understanding by 65%.
    Look into it as part of your minimum CPD requirement - it's really, really interesting. Also if you look at the way the curriculum and assessment working groups are going in Towards 2018, this will be expected to be the norm in the future (as it has been for years in Oz, USA etc).
    vallo wrote:
    Let me give you an example. In science, we learn the heart. I did up a nice set of overhead slides - a picture of the heart a few years ago, traced out of a book. I overlay a couple of sheets on it, one to show blood flow, one to show labels etc .It always goes down well and the kids learn what they need. We dissect a heart, they draw a heart, we run around the classroom to get the heart pumping faster, see how long it takes to slow down etc etc .. Now the interactive board will replace my diagrams (except some extra parts of the heart that aren't on the curriculum are labelled too) and the students will be able to approach the board and using the magic pens, they can slide the aorta label to the right place and sit down well pleased with themselves.

So is that it? What is the key thing that the interactive whiteboard can achieve that a computer, internet downloads, data projector, OHP, blackboard cannot?
    The white board enables all these things to be used together more effectively.

Listen, I don't know your subject or the curriculum outcomes, how much knowledge over understanding is required. It may not be useful every day. Smartboards were originally intended for science use, but are proving more successful in English and History as there is more to be gained (in subject terms) from being interactive with language skills than from moving numbers or pics about.

Using the approach you outlined you're meeting different needs already right? There may be more things you could do. Pupils can come up and dissect it on the screen in turn, without a mess or objections. They can peel back layers and watch the blood pump - they can view a live heart at work. Surely that is a bit more interesting than a still diagram?

In developing analytical skills, language skills etc I have found it very useful. I am simply sharing my experiences, not here to defend the entire concept of technology in your school, in your subject and really would rather not be drawn in to any sort of argument.
    I'd recommend you go to the Science forums on tes.co.uk and discuss it with science teacher in the UK who can give you a better view of how they use it, than I as an Enlgish teacher can.

The world moves forward and pupils now expect school to reflect that.

• Advertisement

I definitely didn't mean to be patronising but I genuinely did think that your comment sounded very vague. I'm sorry if I offended you with my tone.
    I'm far from anti-technology but am genuinely curious as to how the smart-board improves the learning experience. In particular, for the price of a single smart-board system, a school could get several computers and data projectors which in my view would be a lot more beneficial. I also feel strongly that peeling back layers of a real, bloody heart is a million times more educational than a simulated version.
    Thanks for the reference to the UK site - I will definitely follow up on that.

Advertisement