Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

New Console?

Options
  • 29-03-2007 6:41pm
    Registered Users Posts: 3,854 ✭✭✭

Hello, new to this forum,
    Thought I'd post this here, as there's no general consoles forum, hope that's ok.

So.
    Thinking of buying a new console, but which one?

Basically looking between
    PS3
    Xbox 360
    Wii

What would people recommend?
    Played the PS3 in HMV, and it seems like it'll be really good, but it's just so expensive!
    I don't know much about the Xbox 360.
    The Wii looks cool, but I wonder if the games will be that good.

If the new GTA is amazing when it comes out, you'd need a PS3 or Xbox, so I'm confused as to which would be the best option.

What do ye think?

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5 Online Gamer

the wii is a great console... even my missus plays it, its prob the most social
    console out there with excelent game play.... wii sports is the nutz...
    im going to wait till next yr to get a PS3, too expensive for what it is i think...:D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 760 ✭✭✭TheAlmightyArse

I can't think of any reasons to buy a PS3 over a 360 at the moment. (Just covering myself.) The 360 is much cheaper, has a far wider choice of good games and seems pretty level in terms of horsepower.

The Wii is a great bit of fun, but it's also limited by what's available for it. Wii Sports, Zelda and Excite Truck are fantastic games, but that's really all there is right now. The Wii is also quite underpowered compared to the other two. That's not to say it's incapable of gorgeous looking games, but you'll be disappointed if you like spunking over technical specifications. The Wii's a wonderful little thing, with great potential, but I'd say the 360 is a safer bet if you're not sure about it, and want a wider choice of more traditional games right away.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,404 ✭✭✭qwertplaywert

OP-depends on what your looking for.....
    Games wise,atm , 360 is miles ahead ,but that could all change.....wii and ps3 are very close to thier resective lanchs, and so dont have many great games yet[the 360 had a similer lanch] .
    another major factor is features.do you have broadband and a HDTV? if not[broadband] , then definatly do not buy the ps3, at least not at full price, it is not worth it, maybe when the price comes down and the lower hard drive and cheaper one comes out,maybe consider getting that

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,464 ✭✭✭Kristok

Ive them all and can only recommend the 360. The other two just dont have enough games out at the moment. Wii could have some amazing games but who knows. The ps3 apparently will be way better when developers get a hang of making games for it so give that about 3 years then. The 360 currently has some great exclusive games, gears etc. Also microsoft seem to have the online thing locked down and ps network has yet to show any signs of catching up, the wii still dosnt have an online game. So unless your happy buying a console and waiting a year or more (im looking at you ps3) before anything worthwhile comes out the 360 is the only choice. Of course thats just my opinion.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,561 ✭✭✭Rhyme

At the moment, i believe, the PS3 isn't worth buying and the Wii (while being a great little machine) is limited in its games and lacking the graphical 'oomph' that seems to be a driving the other two consoles (in part).

If you want a level playing field, watch how the PS3 and Wii pan out by Christmas (or the end of the summer at the earliest).

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Category Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 34,605 CMod ✭✭✭✭CiDeRmAn

For traditional gaming, for FPS, driving, action and the like, buy a 360, get the premium pack and you won't go too far wrong, inexpensive console, decent range of 2nd hand games now and a strong lineup on the way.
    If its a family games machine, great machine and a growing number of good titles.
    The PS3 simply isn't in the picture, yet.
    If you can wait til Christmas then have a look at which system has more of the exclusives you simply must play, in the meantime keep playing the PS2, tons of great games and still providing lots of gaming goodness!

Advertisement