Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

using 2 routers on home broadband network.

Options
  • 29-03-2007 8:06pm
    Registered Users Posts: 245 ✭✭

Hi everyone,

Ok, heres my problem. At the main phone box in the downstairs hall, i have a wireless broadband modem/router. I also have a zyxel broadband modem which i want to be able to use in my bedroom as it will have a direct connection to my computer. However, when the wireless router is on downstairs and throwing out the broadband signals, I cannot seem to get the zyxel router in my bedroom to get a dsl connection. But when the wireless router downstairs is turned off, the zyxel router in my bedroom then pics up a dsl connection and hence i have a direct broandband connection in my bedroom.

I am wondering what i need to do/buy to get the wireless router and the normal broandband router in the bedroom to operate togather??

any advice is really appreciated. thanx.

Dan.

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 17,208 ✭✭✭✭aidan_walsh

You won't be able to get the two of them working together like that, since each will be trying to pick up the same public IP.

What you will want to do is have one connected all the time, and the other connected to the first. Set up the second as a repeater for the first, allowing the first to do things like issue IP addresses. It might take a bit of configuring, but it'll be workable.

• Registered Users Posts: 245 ✭✭djt0607

ahh. that makes sense anyways. Dont think I'll be connecting the two of them together since one is in my bedroom and one in the hall downstairs, which means to connect them i would have to drill a hole through the ceiling and connect them with a cable. I just thought it might have been easier.

I got this idea from my college. They have 2 wireless routers operating together at both ends of the library. Guess they were able to do what you said. lol.

Anyways, thanx for the reply.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 17,208 ✭✭✭✭aidan_walsh

Do you need to have both? Can you not leave the wireless one on all the time as your main one?

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 12,448 Mod ✭✭✭✭dub45

Why not just buy a wireless card for the pc?

Advertisement