Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Have you an anecdote about County Council corruption?

Options
  • 29-03-2007 8:08pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 429 ✭✭

Don't know if this is the right place for this.

However, the case of the county councillor from Galway who was sentenced to a year in prison and a fine of 75000 for the crime of getting the council to pay for a fence around his land raises a number of disturbing questions.

Firstly, no-one from within the council blew the whistle on this. It was the media as seems to be the norm in these cases who cried foul, reacting to a freedom of information request.

Secondly, surely this cannot be an isolated case. I am aware in my own local council of several instances of dodgy council decisions and people sitting in on council meetings who have a direct financial or business interest in many of the decisions. I also know of developers who are given planning permission for one off houses when the ordinary Joe Soap was turned down for a house on the same site.

So the question is, was the case of the councillor in Galway a one off and he was unlucky to be caught out, or are there more like him around the country? (obviously don't name names).

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 6,315 ✭✭✭ballooba

This thread is a minefield for defamation.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16,165 ✭✭✭✭brianthebard

ballooba wrote:
    This thread is a minefield for defamation.

Only if people name names and post rumours. Obviously if this councillor has been convicted he can hardly argue that posting about his actions is defamation, its no different to a newspaper article.

• Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 28,804 Mod ✭✭✭✭oscarBravo

If names are named, defamation city. If no names, it's all pointless hearsay. Unless I'm given a compelling reason to the contrary, I'm leaving this closed.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement